5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ABS, Battery, Brake Light wont go out

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ABS, Battery, Brake Light wont go out

I have a 2000 Maxima and the ABS, Brake, and Battery Lights wont go out. I replaced the battery, the alternator, and the alternator harness. The output is above 15v when the car is running. What could be the problem? I took the alternator to multiple shops excluding auto parts stores. I checked the fuses on the side of the battery and inside the vehicle; I also replaced the fuse on the battery terminal. Please help

Last edited by lyte805; 08-02-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:10 PM

Bad new alternator!
Old 08-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Bad new alternator!
Bingo. Over 15V is overcharging and will set off the lights.

Alternators are junk, good luck finding one that works (for more than a few months lol).
Old 08-03-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Bingo. Over 15V is overcharging and will set off the lights. Alternators are junk, good luck finding one that works (for more than a few months lol).
^^^^ these two gentlemen are exactly right^^^^.
I've gone thru four alternators in about two years since my original gave out. It's a pain in the ***. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if I was paying someone to replace it for me. You probably would be better off finding a low mileage oem used alternator then buying one from auto parts store. It'll be cheaper too. If you choose this way just confirm its a oem alternator before you buy it.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Mattx
^^^^ these two gentlemen are exactly right^^^^.
I've gone thru four alternators in about two years since my original gave out. It's a pain in the ***. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if I was paying someone to replace it for me. You probably would be better off finding a low mileage oem used alternator then buying one from auto parts store. It'll be cheaper too. If you choose this way just confirm its a oem alternator before you buy it.
Yep, with all the horror stories, I'm going to buy every low mileage OEM I see at the junkyard.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Yep, with all the horror stories, I'm going to buy every low mileage OEM I see at the junkyard.
Yea I've already have started to do so myself. You can use eBay, there are some reputable oem part sellers on there. New and used parts. The problem is sifting through the snake oil. Sometimes you can find oem new parts that go on sale for decent prices depending on what you're looking for. Couple weeks ago I saw a oem alternator on sale for 303 I think it was. I thought long about it but didn't really have the extra money at the time. 303 might sound like a lot but I'd rather pay twice as much for a nissan alternator then go to auto zone and be exchanging alternators for the next couple years.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:56 PM

Alternator
alternator
^^^^^^^

So many refurb parts for these cars are garbage. More like with a pulled OEM part or brand new OEM