5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to gut pre cats.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:45 PM

How to gut pre cats.

okay, so I have been searching all night for a straight answer to no avail. I can get plent of threads say that you should gut your precats and what happens after and blah blah. I just want to know how you do this? it seems like a common thing for people to do so I feel kind of stupid, but oh well. I am looking for a step by step guide (preferably with pictures or a video) with a parts list for what I will have to replace (gaskkets and such) when I do it. I have a 03 SE that is stock at the moment (air intake and catback are on their way as we speak). I need visual aids or else ill get lost in all of the "losen this thingy" or "remove this strange piece after you remove this other piece with an obscure name"

thanks for any help you can provide!

edit: I have gotten some info on how to do the actual "gutting" of the pre cats (just break everything inside by drilling and chissling then dump it out, right?) I guess what I don't know is how to get to the pre cats, how to get them off, what they look like, where exactly are they and how do I access them. thanks!

Last edited by ktowbes; 08-09-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by ktowbes
okay, so I have been searching all night for a straight answer to no avail. I can get plent of threads say that you should gut your precats and what happens after and blah blah. I just want to know how you do this? it seems like a common thing for people to do so I feel kind of stupid, but oh well. I am looking for a step by step guide (preferably with pictures or a video) with a parts list for what I will have to replace (gaskkets and such) when I do it. I have a 03 SE that is stock at the moment (air intake and catback are on their way as we speak). I need visual aids or else ill get lost in all of the "losen this thingy" or "remove this strange piece after you remove this other piece with an obscure name"

thanks for any help you can provide!

edit: I have gotten some info on how to do the actual "gutting" of the pre cats (just break everything inside by drilling and chissling then dump it out, right?) I guess what I don't know is how to get to the pre cats, how to get them off, what they look like, where exactly are they and how do I access them. thanks!
If you look in the manifold, the catalyst material will be in plain sight in the pre cat. The precat is the widest/ biggest section of the manifold Just smash out the material and make it as clean as possible with no debris left behind.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:46 AM

if u searched harder you may have found all the info you need, sorry but there is no spoonfeeding step by step how to on this one, its too dirty of a job and too straight forward.

biggest things i found when lookin for how tos are this

18" spade drill bit and a good corded drill. go to town
and
O2 simulator (that has a great how to from puppet master in the stickies)