5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 AE having RPM issues upon coming to a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 01:51 AM

2001 AE having RPM issues upon coming to a stop.

180k.

The problem happens when I come to a stop pretty quickly, not under normal braking conditions.

1. Brake kinda hard and come to a stop. I'll take a look at my rpms and they will have jumped to about 1k. After a couple seconds I will start to accelerate normally and there is a small delay in acceleration, then the car will lunge forward aggressively depending on how hard I'm pressing the gas. If I'm at a red light long enough the rpms will sort themselves out and I'll feel this very small jump. Then once the green comes I can accelerate without any issues.

The same exact problem happens when I slow down quickly without coming to a stop, for example, slowing down to turn right in a green intersection. I'll come around the bend and start accelerating, there's a one second long delay when I'm pressing the gas, then the car jumps and sometimes it's so aggressive the tires screech.

Any idea? Just changed out my spark plugs and ignition coils. Not even sure if that's related at all.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:11 AM

With the delay and all, do you hear any banging or knocking around? My bad motor mounts would cause a literal 1 second delay between accel and deaccel. Everytime i would blip the gas in 1st,2nd,3rd i could hear/feel my motor move around and bang the passenger side. i also had bad motor crossmember bushings aswell at the time. the maf is the culprit with alot of these running issues aswell so i would look into giving yours a good cleaning with maf cleaner.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax SE
With the delay and all, do you hear any banging or knocking around? My bad motor mounts would cause a literal 1 second delay between accel and deaccel. Everytime i would blip the gas in 1st,2nd,3rd i could hear/feel my motor move around and bang the passenger side. i also had bad motor crossmember bushings aswell at the time. the maf is the culprit with alot of these running issues aswell so i would look into giving yours a good cleaning with maf cleaner.
All of my motor mounts are broken. But I haven't heard any knocking because my music is playing. I will listen for it next time I drive.

Will clean the maf too incase
Old 08-27-2016, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Andy29
All of my motor mounts are broken. But I haven't heard any knocking because my music is playing. I will listen for it next time I drive.

Will clean the maf too incase
if your mounts are broken then that will cause some whacky as heck acceleration, i would buy the mounts even before you clean the maf. i changed all my mounds with most normal hand tools, a u joint works wonders on the passenger side under-nut. those random spurts of power are probabily your engine rubberbanding back and fourth.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:28 AM

If you get the chance, open the hood and put it in drive and keep hold of the brake. while holding the break tap the gas and see how far your motor rocks/ how violently it does. you should be able to see the motor from the driver seat with the hood open.