5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Let's talk Rebuilds vs Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:03 AM

Let's talk Rebuilds vs Swaps

So let's start off. I've got a 2001 SE Anniversary Edition 5-Speed.
My crank seal is leaking and it's gotta get replaced. To do this is a ......not fun job. You've gotta pull the engine because an inboard rebuild in this car isn't really feasible and I can't just leave my car parked at work.

I should state that I'm a heavy duty mechanic and I'm gonna be working on it over the weekends as I'm currently working right now and have crap all to do.
So bored.

So Rebuilds: Who's done what? I'm not looking to go insane here. I want to go more mild than wild as it's a daily driver. If I go this route I'm going to be purchasing an engine from a yard and I'll throw it on an engine stand and do the rebuild that way.

So Swaps: Does the 3.5 fit in nicely? What's the electrical swap like? Any other engines that people have put in?

I need this info before I make a plan. I've gotta calculate costs vs time.

Once all that is figured out, I've gotta go over budget stuff with my gf and see what we can realistically afford. I'm a grown man so I can no longer justify spending insane amounts of money on my cars for fun. Sad truth.

Any input and connecting links is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:47 AM

The 3.5 go in but many guys use the 3.0 timing, you can also do an HR (high rev) swap, 08 and newer Altima motor and 09 and newer Maxima motor. Check out nisformance and m4dsc.com also get on facebook this site is pretty much dead.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:28 PM

Rebuilds are very simple and cheaper then you might think.
if you want to do it the best way get it cleaned and honed it was like $50 they
tanked it and honed it on a cnc. The head was like $70 they shaved it put in new seals and ****. Put in a cam I brought them.

you can do it the other way Just basically refresh it and hone it yourself. Don't even touch the head if it's not burning oil. i've done it that way too with no problems. In total it was like $200 for a refresh. new bearings, seals, rings.

A good tip is clean everything with ATF and coffee filters. Soap and water does jack **** in cleaning the block up.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:33 PM

m4dsc.com?
That site doesn't exist but 4dsc.com if for the maxima's made from 88-94.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by blowitoutyour
m4dsc.com?
That site doesn't exist but 4dsc.com if for the maxima's made from 88-94.
my4dsc.com

It's too bad this site isn't what it is to be. There's an interesting parallel in Nissan's targeted audience of the Maxima and those who would make use the forums over the years. Facebook has given most enthusiasts a place to express themselves and they're probably mindlessly scrolling through their feeds anyways... On the plus side, Facebook is a wonderful buffer zone that keeps many of the idiots with nothing to offer out. I don't have an account but used my wife's Facebook to look around and I disn't seen any good technical discussion there.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:25 PM

Keep in mind any 3.0 timing 3.5 swap will require tuning. *07+ Altima and 09+ Maxima 3.5s have HR heads and are worth the extra work. (I've run both in the same car, same mods)

Info on making a 07+ Altima engine work in place of a 3.0:
https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/...-0-timing.html
Old 07-16-2017, 09:22 PM

You don't have to pull the engine to do the main seals on the 3.0 or the 3.5.

It's a fair amount of work but it doesn't justify a rebuild or swap.
Pull the tranny, lower oil pan, upper oil pan and change the seals.
It's not the end of the world and not hard to do with the engine in the car.

Any used engine you get is probably going to be close to needing a seal any way.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
Rebuilds are very simple and cheaper then you might think.
if you want to do it the best way get it cleaned and honed it was like $50 they
tanked it and honed it on a cnc. The head was like $70 they shaved it put in new seals and ****. Put in a cam I brought them.

you can do it the other way Just basically refresh it and hone it yourself. Don't even touch the head if it's not burning oil. i've done it that way too with no problems. In total it was like $200 for a refresh. new bearings, seals, rings.

A good tip is clean everything with ATF and coffee filters. Soap and water does jack **** in cleaning the block up.
From your Experience Donkey are these typical prices if I take my engine to a machine shop? They seem really low. I'm considering my options as well, my max is a daily driver as well like "blowitouryour" and she is at 240K, so I'm thinking ahead and want to keep the car.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:51 PM

Yes. You're area may very and the type of head but figure about 90 a head maybe he'll make u a deal
since it's two heads.

Really unless you are dirt poor like if you miss a paycheck you lose your crappy studio apartment then yea, just hone that **** yourself and don't bother with the head.
Machining work like that is very cheap is what i'm saying or at least cheaper than u think.

Depends on the area too. I've looked around for dyno places these crazy ****** ****** wanted like $200 - $250 and I just went up to la and found a place for $130