5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ABS problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Banned

ABS problems

I have a set of D2's installed and, as some of you know, the ABS brackets aren't exactly the best on them. Needless to say, after 60,000 miles I've managed to rub through the wires in several places. Whenever it happened, the ABS light would come on and the ABS system would stop. I've moved them around and used electrical tape on them several times. Every time I did this, the problem would go away. The last time I had the rubbing problems the driver's side actually wore through the wire completely. I stripped it back and spliced them back together. All was well with the world...

...Until recently, that is. Now the driver's side abs wants to kick on when I let off the throttle, during braking or if I take a hard right-hand corner after braking (only does this AFTER I drive for 25 miles or so). The ABS light is NOT lit. I think it even almost killed me a couple of weeks ago when I lost control on the snow. At the time I couldn't figure out why it happened, now I think I know the culprit. The question I have is a) is it the driver's side or passenger's side sensor and b) how do I test the sensor to see if it's a bad sensor or if it's just another wire issue?

The reason I'm questioning which side is screwed up is because even though the driver's side is activating for no reason at odd times, I think it might be caused by a bad signal from the passenger's side. Without complete knowlege of how the ABS system actually "thinks" I'm having a tough time with this. I COULD replace both sensors, but that would be around $500 in parts.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by GBAUER
b) how do I test the sensor to see if it's a bad sensor or if it's just another wire issue?
Some OBDII scanners can read ABS codes. This will tell you which sensor(s) is/are malfunctioning.

I murdered a rear sensor, so the entire system doesn't work at all. Your problem is more intermittent, which leads me to think it's a shorting wire and not a psychotic snap like I did.

Question is, how bad do you want ABS if you're concerned about price?

Also, here are some prices less than 500$.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...03&catalogid=1
Old 02-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Banned

Thanks for the link. Much better prices.

Two reasons why I want to get it fixed: 1) ABS is still working. Sometimes it even works when it shouldn't like when my foot isn't on the brake peddle. One wheel will just start to pulsate for no apparent reason. 2) needed it two weeks ago when it was completely off and I locked up all four tires causing some nasty flat spots. I'm going to try to go to Sears and see if they still have the "Tire Truer" tool that'll basically round out the tire by taking away material. Feels like azz now when I drive.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

I *think* I got it figured out (knocking on wood right now!). I took off both wheels and re-did my connections on the driver's side from my previous splice. I also took off the electrical tape on both sides and inspected both. The passenger side seems to be OK and since the repair, the driver's side looked passable. I think water had seeped into the tape around my splice and allowed enough voltage to pass through to give a false signal to the abs system causing the brakes to pulsate and grab intermittently. So, to fix the problem I taped each splice individually, sprayed it all with WD-40 (WD-40 was originally designed as a water-inhibitor for electrical connections), then re-taped the whole shabang together and re-hung it. I then sprayed the passenger side with WD-40 and retaped it. I drove it for a little while and haven't had a problem yet. If I do, I'll order the driver's side ABS sensor and wires.

Thanks for the tip on the parts pricing.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I (warranty company ) replaced both of my ABS sensors for the same reason after I put on D2's...

I wrapped the hell out of them in electrical tape! Have not had a problem with them since.

It is prob just a bad wire most likely the one you spliced, if you get a new one... Wrap it like 30 times in electrical tape.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:55 AM

this is an old thread but im having the same problem with my abs system. It seems as if the passenger side is activating but grabbing unevenly, almost scared me driving in the snow and trying to brake. The light is not on. But i wanted to confirm that there are only 2 sensors or 4 sensors on the 5.5 gen? If there are 4, then where are the 2 rear abs sensors if any? Pics