5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tranny Rebuild

Old 02-06-2018, 06:42 PM

Tranny Rebuild

I've yet to replace the trans in my car because I really don't want to drop the cash for it. The original plan was to buy a used one with lowish miles and have a mechanic I know swap it in for a cheaper rate. But now my mom's boyfriend said I could do it at his shop for free. Obviously I'd be doing most of the work which is fine, but it will be much cheaper since labor costs are gone.

He was telling me that he rebuilt the trans in his old Camaro by himself over a period of time. And it got me thinking, if I were to buy a high mileage transmission and a full rebuild kit, couldn't I then install a freshly rebuilt transmission for like 1/4 of the cost of getting it professionally rebuilt? I could easily find a transmission with over 250k miles for under $100 and a rebuild kit for another $100? Then slowly take my time with rebuilding it on the weekends or something.

For people who have rebuild the 4AT, is it doable? Like with the right tools, is there any risk to screwing it up worse? I would probably get a shift kit for it too. I have zero experience with transmissions, only doing spill and fills. So my main concern is that it would be too complicated for me.

Edit: After looking on RockAuto at rebuild kits, they very from just over $100 to $300. The most expensive one contains a lot of valve body gaskets(?). Is that all "really" necessary for a standard rebuild?

Last edited by SubwayVQ; 02-06-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
I've yet to replace the trans in my car because I really don't want to drop the cash for it. The original plan was to buy a used one with lowish miles and have a mechanic I know swap it in for a cheaper rate. But now my mom's boyfriend said I could do it at his shop for free. Obviously I'd be doing most of the work which is fine, but it will be much cheaper since labor costs are gone.

He was telling me that he rebuilt the trans in his old Camaro by himself over a period of time. And it got me thinking, if I were to buy a high mileage transmission and a full rebuild kit, couldn't I then install a freshly rebuilt transmission for like 1/4 of the cost of getting it professionally rebuilt? I could easily find a transmission with over 250k miles for under $100 and a rebuild kit for another $100? Then slowly take my time with rebuilding it on the weekends or something.

For people who have rebuild the 4AT, is it doable? Like with the right tools, is there any risk to screwing it up worse? I would probably get a shift kit for it too. I have zero experience with transmissions, only doing spill and fills. So my main concern is that it would be too complicated for me.

Edit: After looking on RockAuto at rebuild kits, they very from just over $100 to $300. The most expensive one contains a lot of valve body gaskets(?). Is that all "really" necessary for a standard rebuild?
flush the cooler lines and replace the A/T cooler rubber line with ATF line.