5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

More on the exhaust topic: cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 08:14 AM

More on the exhaust topic: cutouts

I love these exhaust projects you guys do. Trying to get the power of a wide open system but not look like a fool by making a ton of noise all of the time seems like a perfect thing to do in the sport sedan segment. I love people assuming im stock. It keeps the kids off my *** in traffic trying to race me.

One of my two Maximas has obx headers/y-pipe to a 2.75" cattman fast cat to a stock style system by ANSA the rest of the way to the bumper. Its a little louder than stock. Not bad. However, I know I am leaving power on the table. I am hesitant about upgrading the intake and fuel system because of it.

I found only two options for this. One of you guys runs the first option, the Varex muffler. Basically a flap in the muffler that reduces noise and flow for when you care about the racket your car makes. Awesome idea, but a little pricey. My second idea is just running an electric cutout right before the cat in the y-pipe. If I want to go WOT, I hit the switch and go into "race mode". Much cheaper and I dont have to replace my current catback system. Just only leave it open during WOT pulls. What are your thoughts on that?

Link to cutout: https://www.badlanzhpe.com/collectio...iant=712021527
Doesn't seem like ebay junk and has a 5 year warranty.

Last edited by NotYou; 08-29-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:18 PM

No use on a N/a Maxima! Great for Turbo cars...
Old 08-30-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Really? That would explain why I never hear of anyone using them. Care to school me on this?
I see it as removing the bottleneck in my system. Everyone says a 3" exhaust system makes power on the VQ35. Dumping right at the y-pipe would make similar if not more power than a 3" catback, no?
Old 08-30-2018, 02:19 PM

Me picking up a mph at the track says otherwise.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by NotYou
Really? That would explain why I never hear of anyone using them. Care to school me on this?
I see it as removing the bottleneck in my system. Everyone says a 3" exhaust system makes power on the VQ35. Dumping right at the y-pipe would make similar if not more power than a 3" catback, no?
With a Bunch of noise...Right? If that's your taste than cool for you bro! I don't need that type of attention nor power increase! I would say they work better on Turbo cars cause the lack of back pressure is faster boost, lower EGT's, more torque....without alot of noise since a turbo acts as a sound diffuser! Have fun blasting through tunnels and under passes...LOL.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

IIRC a 3” is basically the way to go for 5.5gens if you have supporting boltons. A cutout would probably see gains over a stock system though, simply because there are spots in the stock catback where its only like an inch across due to flattening (or at least it is on my exhaust). However a full 3” catback would probably beat a cutout. I have nothing personal to back that up so i guess its all basically ricer math but there definitely is a balance you need to strike between having more flow and not losing too much backpressure. Maybe if you get a cutout that allows you to open it partially rather than being fully open or fully closed? The varex muffler is also supposed to be pretty sweet... but then again im biased because i bought one lol. Have not gotten around to installing my 3” system though so again i cant tell you personally how well it works. Ive heard from another member that its **** though for those who want power and also dont want the noise that comes with it.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:09 PM

With a Bunch of noise...Right? If that's your taste than cool for you bro! I don't need that type of attention nor power increase! I would say they work better on Turbo cars cause the lack of back pressure is faster boost, lower EGT's, more torque....without alot of noise since a turbo acts as a sound diffuser! Have fun blasting through tunnels and under passes...LOL.
Hehe you're taking my intentions wrong. Being not loud and having a stock appearance/sound is my goal. However, with that being said, Im willing to sacrifice the noise for those brief, once in awhile situations, where I am going WOT and performance is my goal.

EDIT: I was re-reading my initial reply and realized that you may have taken what I said as rude. My apologies. I was asking for help and was being legitimate. I really did want a lesson from you as you seemed to know what you were talking about. Damn internet

Last edited by NotYou; 08-31-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by NotYou
Hehe you're taking my intentions wrong. Being not loud and having a stock appearance/sound is my goal. However, with that being said, Im willing to sacrifice the noise for those brief, once in awhile situations, where I am going WOT and performance is my goal.

EDIT: I was re-reading my initial reply and realized that you may have taken what I said as rude. My apologies. I was asking for help and was being legitimate. I really did want a lesson from you as you seemed to know what you were talking about. Damn internet
I saw nothing that was rude, we're merely stating our preferences...I'm not soft skinned nor super sensitive, you didn't hurt my feeling Bro....Lol....I just know how I would use it on my cars....but it is a stealthy thing to have...
Old 08-31-2018, 08:47 PM

I was just thinking about another alternative. It would be great to be able to measure your current exhaust cfm needs. Then instead of buying the most unrestrictive, straight through resonator and muffler, you could find something else that is more quiet that flows the amount you need. Ive been sitting on this huge 3" in 3" out Walker Quiet Flow muffler for years. I dont want to use it because Ive heard that it necks down to 2.25" inside and its probably a piece of junk. I do wonder what it actually flows. Maybe its enough. I cant find cfm numbers for it though.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:33 AM

i've thought about installing electric cutouts on an N/A for the sound. as far as i know, no way to keep the ECU from throwing codes or to allow it to run a proper tune when it's open. However that 10.5:1 compression ratio sounded right damn good when my mufflers bolt clamp broke, So I assume if did install one i might not want it before the resonator, or maybe i would.

Anyone have audio of the Walker Quiet Flow muffler?
Old 09-01-2018, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
i've thought about installing electric cutouts on an N/A for the sound. as far as i know, no way to keep the ECU from throwing codes or to allow it to run a proper tune when it's open. However that 10.5:1 compression ratio sounded right damn good when my mufflers bolt clamp broke, So I assume if did install one i might not want it before the resonator, or maybe i would.

Anyone have audio of the Walker Quiet Flow muffler?
I would adjust the tune as needed for WOT. I dont think the ECU would throw any codes. I might be wrong but thats not an issue.

There are V8 YT videos of that exhaust. I never found anything close to our setups.

Last edited by NotYou; 09-01-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:43 AM

Codes won't get thrown...with a cut out even before the main cat....as long as the primary O2 sensors are there and the secondary O2 sensor are simulated or installed, the ECU doesn't know....
As for the Walker 3" In/Out I use to have the CFM rating and I'll look for it....But if it's not SS leave it alone! My Walker Turbo Sonic muffler experience was horrible on my 86.5 Hardbody....I must've installed 4 of them until I switched to Magnaflow SS mufflers 18 yrs ago...Every single one of the Walker mufflers rotted from inside out....That same Magnaflow muffler is still working like new 18 yrs later....definitely over 200K on that muffler alone! You're wasting your time if it's Not SS nor more than 20" long (body), then it'll be a Pain in the A$$ and Ears! I'll search for the CFM chart and when I locate it, I'll post it for you...
Old 09-02-2018, 06:01 PM

3.0 or 3.5?

Your goal of "best of both worlds" resonates with me. I like quiet most of the time, but when you really wanna get on it, I wanna feel the full power. A full 3" exhaust will help you get that full power, but it is loud ALL the time.

Depending on the mods, a cutout would be a great idea. You'll get full advantage of your mods (assuming you have 'em) when it's open, especially if it's before the cat.

I'm the guy with the Varex muffler and I love it. I'll probably do a cutout on my next max. Like you said, it's cheaper and basically the same thing. I think my varex was like 325.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:05 PM

Hell my stock muffler seems to be working ok. i'm not sure i'll ever replace it with a magnaflow at all. i've thought about make flanging my resonator so i can delete and see how it is and if not bolt it back in. kind of curious how the stock system would sound with the cheapy OBX headers, test pipe swap in liu of cats and a long tube swapped for the resonator but, with a stock muffler.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:09 PM

CMax03 - This is the one. It is Stainless Steel with a 24" body. Bought it new from a friend for few bucks years ago. Ive heard these SS ones dont last either. http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog...g-lookup/21054 .
If it flows enough it might be worth trying since I already own it. Definitely needs some duals welded on.

TSelanne - 3.5 Im sitting on some bolt ons like a 4" intake, 370Z injectors, SSIM and a 75mm TB. I want to get the exhaust sorted before I install these. It will be FBO after that and then im thinking on selling this one to my son. Thanks for your opinion. You're the one that got me thinking about this.

cdoublejj - This is what I have now. It is heavy as hell. Look at those terrible bends. IRL the tubing looks larger than stock, like 2.5"(probably ovalized in the place I was looking) I doubt it has the stock flappy valve thing inside.

Last edited by NotYou; 09-03-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:15 AM

SS might not last forever in salt laden snow belt (Not Sure) and that other chemical they spray down which is more corrosive than salt...Anyway that doesn't look like SS unless it's T-409...But SS will outlast that 2 yr Walker Turbo Sonic muffler....and all my vehicle utilize Magnaflow SS mufflers and that D21 Hardbody is 18 yrs old w/o any trace of corrosion here in H-Town (50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, well Galveston bay), my 3" Cattman is still beautiful so...
The tubing is 2" it's not even 2.25" looks puny to a 2.5"...Do what's best for you...I watched the Walker video and they said it's SS so I would try it and date mark it! If you live in the salt belt just rinse the underpinnings as often as possible to increase the muffler life...
Old 09-04-2018, 08:45 PM

my stock exhaust is holding up far better than the car's body. i know it's stainless just not sure what grade.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
my stock exhaust is holding up far better than the car's body. i know it's stainless just not sure what grade.
Strange, I bought my car with 100k miles. No rusted wheel wells and even rad support was good(might have been replaced). The exhaust started rattling around after 4 months(2013). It was so rusted it came off by hand. Disconnected where the pipe meets the muffler body. The exhaust sound was barely any different with no muffler. The car was bone stock at that time, three old cats and a resonator.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:43 PM

If you're gonna buy an exhaust and you live in a salt state, make sure the exhaust is 304 stainless. 409 is another type that comes in 2nd place, but 304 is what you want. It's the reason cattmans last forever......304.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by TSelanne
If you're gonna buy an exhaust and you live in a salt state, make sure the exhaust is 304 stainless. 409 is another type that comes in 2nd place, but 304 is what you want. It's the reason cattmans last forever......304.
Truthfully the Cattman catbacks tubing was constructed with T409, except for the rear muffler assembly and Headers they were both T304...Use your magnet...T409 is slightly magnetic, T304 isn't at all!