5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HOT TOPIC - recently at least - Koni vs Ksport

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 09:08 AM

HOT TOPIC - recently at least - Koni vs Ksport

Okay, Im not new here as my post count suggests. Im a senior member who couldn't regain my old account under the same name. Bought the car in 2002 with 5 miles on it. With that said, I am trying to replace my suspension. I have two options. The Koni yellows (which need modifications to fit!) or the Ksport coilovers. My current setup is Tokico Illumina with H&R springs, but they've been on for 12 years. Almost 13. The rear just fell apart. So I want to replace them all to get it done at once.

Now, the Koni yellows with the Eibach pro springs would be roughly $650. I also need new strut mounts, so another $100. So we are looking at $750 plus labor. There will be added labor because the Koni requires modification of course, but my guy is really good with pricing.

Option two is the Ksport coilovers. Ive only had the Tein coilovers before back in 2004 and hated them. I don't think I knew what I was doing honestly. Couldn't get them adjusted right. Anyway, Derrick here seems to love his, but I cant find anyone else who has them. I also live in a state that has some salty winters. I called RCA and found out about a spray you can coat them with to prevent rust that's made by Boeing. So I kinda trust it. My point too, is that the Ksports will be $800. They come with everything. Pretty much plug and play. So labor cost would also be a lot less.

This is just a daily driver. Its got over 200k on it. I love it to death. I don't want a new car. I need this to last four more years at least.

What are your thoughts?
Old 09-26-2018, 09:17 AM

How important is ride comfort to you? Generally speaking, you will feel a lot more road imperfections with the coilovers than you would any decent spring/strut setup. I currently have ksport coilovers on my 4th gen, but I've heard good things about BC coilovers and plan to buy a set for my mr2.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
How important is ride comfort to you? Generally speaking, you will feel a lot more road imperfections with the coilovers than you would any decent spring/strut setup. I currently have ksport coilovers on my 4th gen, but I've heard good things about BC coilovers and plan to buy a set for my mr2.
I like a nice ride, but love control more than comfort if that makes sense.

I thought of the BC coilovers, but the rust super quick. Heard from many sources that they have lasted one or two winters and failed. Not sure where youre at, but head up.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:10 AM

don't forget Derrick is in FL as well, so what i am saying is the Ksports you may have these rust issues too in NE , this is a tough call.... tokicos really seem discontinued, the website doesnt even work now redirects you to HItachi.....
thanks to a great website - shiftice dot com
KYB-AGX:

look into those! they are adjustable and were the alternative to Illuminas
Old 09-26-2018, 10:12 AM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...n/model/maxima
http://www.shiftice.com/spring_strut_decision.html

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
don't forget Derrick is in FL as well, so what i am saying is the Ksports you may have these rust issues too in NE , this is a tough call.... tokicos really seem discontinued, the website doesnt even work now redirects you to HItachi.....
thanks to a great website - shiftice dot com
KYB-AGX:

look into those! they are adjustable and were the alternative to Illuminas
too many problems with the KYBs coming up when searching.

lookin in the org now, dont remember too many problems, but u may be right...
Old 09-26-2018, 10:18 AM

seems like rears are plug and play for 5th gen ! why dont you go for it? seems way easier than changing out enitre suspsension?

replacing a rear blown illumina with rear KYB-AGX both adjustable
Old 09-26-2018, 10:20 AM

seems like rears are plug and play for 5th gen ! why dont you go for it? seems way easier than changing out enitre suspsension?

thanks for the input but KYB are a no go for me 100%.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima_Ness
I like a nice ride, but love control more than comfort if that makes sense.

I thought of the BC coilovers, but the rust super quick. Heard from many sources that they have lasted one or two winters and failed. Not sure where youre at, but head up.
If you were going to spray some type of coating on the KSports, why not spray on the BC's too?
Im in the Southwest, no need to worry over here
Old 09-26-2018, 12:57 PM

Decision made. Just ordered the Ksport. Thanks guys.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:09 PM

Decision made. Just ordered the Ksport. Thanks guys.
Looking forward to another opinion on these. Keep us posted! :-D
Old 09-27-2018, 05:40 AM

thanks for the input but KYB are a no go for me 100%.
still not sure why you didnt replace 1 or 2 shocks w an equal alternative, and chagned out entire suspension instead? i couldn't find anything relatively recent as to why KYB AGX was that bad when compared to Illuminas. I founda few tiny comments on preference more than fact as to why they may be better or worse. It kinda just seemed like a vew guys like Illuminas and that turned into illuminas being better.

either way keep us posted on your impressions with the Ksports ! it would be nice to hear coming from a guy on H&R illuminas before that (this is my set up for 10 years now)
Old 09-27-2018, 05:49 AM

i also found this comment on the shift ice page - - AGX have been accused of being rougher in cold weather.

ehhh... i mean there's prolly a few reasons we all preferred Illuminas over AGX but i am kinda in same boat as you, and don't wanna replace entire suspension if i don't have to, i think my rear illuminas are goin but i cant tell... i just have been rubbing more than ever and the clock on them is 150K miles and 10.5 years. (replaced front illuminas with illuminas after 5 years - 80-90k miles) which is scary because i am coming up to that on the 2nd round of fronts already again.

long term i doubt any coilovers would have lasted these durations in DD North East.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:51 AM

i think the main reasons was the fronts needed modifcations, and were not plug and play, thats all i could think of to make it less preferable. but we are kinda talkin rears here =)
Old 09-27-2018, 07:31 AM

13 years and over 150k miles. This is a job I only wanted to do once. It would be stupid to just replace the broken one and then have another fail and just keep paying to replace them one by one. Once and done. This is probably the last time I’ll put a new suspension on this car.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

13 years and over 150k miles. This is a job I only wanted to do once. It would be stupid to just replace the broken one and then have another fail and just keep paying to replace them one by one. Once and done. This is probably the last time I’ll put a new suspension on this car.
Famous last words. LOL.

Definitely interested to hear what you think of the K sports. I replaced my illuminas last year after 12 years and ~180k miles of faithful service and I definitely miss the overall competency of the illuminas. I'm loosely considering coilovers for a better ride/quality balance and also to raise it up just a tad to see if my damn aftermarket CV axles quite vibrating.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Famous last words. LOL.
Fair point, but as soon as grad school is over, it’s new car time.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:18 PM
Got Retrofit?

I was going to suggest Teins as they will likely be as comfortable as your current combination but KSports are great as well as long as they are set up the correct way. Enjoy!
Old 09-27-2018, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I was going to suggest Teins as they will likely be as comfortable as your current combination but KSports are great as well as long as they are set up the correct way. Enjoy!
Had Twins back in 05. Hated them. Took them off and sold them. 13 years ago I either couldn’t get the ride height i wanted or didn’t know how to properly use them. That’s when i just went with Illuminas and H&Rs. I think the Ksports are going to be even better.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Famous last words. LOL.

Definitely interested to hear what you think of the K sports. I replaced my illuminas last year after 12 years and ~180k miles of faithful service and I definitely miss the overall competency of the illuminas. I'm loosely considering coilovers for a better ride/quality balance and also to raise it up just a tad to see if my damn aftermarket CV axles quite vibrating.
what struts did you replace with? all 4?
Old 09-28-2018, 08:36 AM

I loved my Illuminas but they didn't last long enough for me and they're hard to find! I went to Koni Sport and they're readily available thru the Tirerack and have a lifetime warranty so I'm happy plus they really ride nice!

Last edited by CMax03; 10-02-2018 at 05:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2018, 09:09 AM

This has been discussed a lot recently. My opinion is no secret. I really like the K-Sports.
I will add that coilovers seem to have come a long way in the last 10 to 15 years. It's tough to compare modern coilover designs with those from 10 years ago. There also used to be a big price difference between a good spring set and a good coilover set. Now the prices are pretty close. These days a I don't see a reason not to go with a good coilover set.

I had the Iluminas with Eibach springs and they always hit really hard over sharp bumps. RR tracks, raised manhole covers, or small potholes were really harsh. The K-Sports eat those up with no problems.

As was said above, I can't comment on longevity in rough climates. I just found this pic of the Illumina/Eibach set that I ran for around 10 years. This is after I swapped them out. If I wiped them off they'd almost pass for new. The struts went about 10 years before getting bouncy and they never leaked. I have no problem with the quality of them.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:26 PM

i did KYB G2 Excells with HR and lowering springs, it's sits like a gangster lower rider, low in the back and stock ride height up front. i've heard of a few others with the same complaint from H&R. or maybe KYB is junk now but, as far as i know the springs set the ride height every way i or any mechanics or hot rodders i've talked to can figure it.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:02 AM

its a catch 22, but the h&R drop has been debated many times, it comes down to function over form. the drop on paper is pretty equal 1.4 F 1.3R , but because of that the rear ends up sitting lower than the front. some have down the H&R front only drop to get a more equal stance and not that saggy rear look.

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...-new-pics.html

i am used to it now been on H&R 10 years, its annoying when you think about it too much, but if its that important to ya go coils.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:01 AM

its a catch 22, but the h&R drop has been debated many times, it comes down to function over form. the drop on paper is pretty equal 1.4 F 1.3R , but because of that the rear ends up sitting lower than the front. some have down the H&R front only drop to get a more equal stance and not that saggy rear look.

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...-new-pics.html

i am used to it now been on H&R 10 years, its annoying when you think about it too much, but if its that important to ya go coils.
With a 1.4"F/ 1.3"R it sound like a decent forward raked stance to me (lower front, higher rear), My Progress are 1.7" drop F/R and it's a forward raked stance...I think you springs are sagging causing that a$$ heavy stance! My wife seems to thrive on loading the 5.5th Gen too the max when going out of town for only 2 days! Even that weight added to the trunk it's still a forward raked stance...So I think it's a spring sagging situation with your car!
Old 10-02-2018, 01:09 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

For those who hate the "sagging" rear, Koni Sport (yellows) have 2 settings for the rear spring. I run the higher setting with Eibach prokit. It's half an inch higher. I don't want a slammed ride height so it works for me. Eibach, Koni, rears on stock setting.
Eibach, Koni, rears on upper setting.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:07 PM

A remedy for that is installing ES poly spring isolators which are about 1/4" thick....Hey I noticed those 6th Gen front brakes are installed in the upper setting picture...Nice ride!
Old 10-04-2018, 04:37 AM

nice JSutter, i think i am going to by KONI for rears now considering Illuminas are old relics now, studying differences in KYB AGX and Yellows ! i didnt know yellows had and adjustments.

i am on 150k on my illuminas in the rear i think i need to change em...
Old 10-04-2018, 07:58 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Konis are rebound adjustable. This means you can adjust them without compromising ride quality. Fronts are a simple twist with the top adjuster. For the rear, the piston needs to be fully compressed then turned. It's a silly design compared to an external ****. It's a small price to pay for a far better damper. Also they are infinitely adjustable.

Illuminas and AGX adjust compression and rebound at the same time. The ride suffers when set high. I could not dial AGX and Eibach when I had them. 4 settings for the front doesn't cut it. It was either too bouncy or to harsh. At least the rear has 10 settings to try.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:04 PM

very interesting.... thanks for all that info ! i respect your opinions tons. i ride with my illuminas in summer ( 18"wheels) at 5 in the back 4 in the front, and winter (stock wheels) 1 in front 3 in back its all I ever had so i cant compare to being to harsh or bouncy. i cant say it ever felt bouncy except maybe on setting 1.

what stiffness settings do you do on your yellows? and yea that rear adjustment is tought for someone like me who hasn't messed w doing suspension my self yet

and because i always wanted them now I am looking at the TEIN Street Advance Z Coil Overs for $591. two koni rears will be $260

im so undecided now... freakin car has 240k and rusted quarters... i love the car and all the mods I have done I am having a hard time deciding what to do with this depreciating asset on paper. i think its good for another 60k at least but blah blah, i am basically in same boat with OP and havin a tough time deciding where to go. if I could do the struts my self I would probably just do the KONI's and wait till the next thing that needs updates. sigh...
Old 10-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

very interesting.... thanks for all that info ! i respect your opinions tons. i ride with my illuminas in summer ( 18"wheels) at 5 in the back 4 in the front, and winter (stock wheels) 1 in front 3 in back its all I ever had so i cant compare to being to harsh or bouncy. i cant say it ever felt bouncy except maybe on setting 1.

what stiffness settings do you do on your yellows? and yea that rear adjustment is tought for someone like me who hasn't messed w doing suspension my self yet

and because i always wanted them now I am looking at the TEIN Street Advance Z Coil Overs for $591. two koni rears will be $260

im so undecided now... freakin car has 240k and rusted quarters... i love the car and all the mods I have done I am having a hard time deciding what to do with this depreciating asset on paper. i think its good for another 60k at least but blah blah, i am basically in same boat with OP and havin a tough time deciding where to go. if I could do the struts my self I would probably just do the KONI's and wait till the next thing that needs updates. sigh...
I always had my illuminas set to 4f/5r and I also didn't find it harsh on H-tech springs, but the rebound was great. The car always felt so planted and I'm kinda spoiled in that regard. Even my 2015 BMW 335i felt floaty when I bought it.

As far as what to do with your car: let's put this into perspective. You're happy with the car. It's paid off. It's depreciated just about as low as it can possibly go, but requires a few repairs here and there. Now here's the alternative: you buy a new car with a car payment (or a chunk of your savings gone) that you may or may not be happy with. It depreciates considerably month after month, but it may require less repairs. What's the better option? Matter of personal opinion, but I think from a financial standpoint, keeping a car longer is a better option as long as big ticket items aren't constantly breaking.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:19 AM

thanks for that insight man ! i am kinda leaning that too, and by repairing i can upgrade same time. (upgrade is assuming TEIN's street advance z's are nicer than H&R/ illuminas) i am currently looking at plastic fender flares to repair my quarter panel rust (cut out rust and then put on fender flares). as an alternative as doing a full quaterpanel replacement (easy $800-$1400 each side depending on quality)

thats intersting to hear about a newer stock car, and i agree it feels planted as heck at 4F/5R. i also have 3 under body chassis bars , LTB-Stage2 and Ultra Racing Lower Side Bars.