Suspension, steering, engine mounts and axles - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
Reload this Page >

Suspension, steering, engine mounts and axles

5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello all,

I recently got back a 2003 Maxima SE that was sold a little over 3 years ago. The suspension and steering is in really bad shape so I'm gonna replace most of it. I'm reasonably sure I can replace everything myself after reading the factory manual and watching every video I can find. I see in the video's that when the bolts are removed there is some sort of adhesive...factory Loctite? But they never clean the bolt and reapply the "adhesive" when reassembling. So my question...should I clean the bolts and reapply an adhesive.? if so...what kind?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What are you referring to specifically? The only hardware that you use loctite for is the inner tie rods. Everything else you can leave dry. I like to put a small dab of antiseize on outer tierod threads to make life a little easier for the alignment guy but other than that you can slap everything in right out of the box.

If you have any questions on specifics feel free to ask, i just replaced every bushing and joint on my front end about a week or so ago so its all fresh in my memory. Just want to toss out one piece of friendly advice - stay away from moog, they used to have awesome stuff but their quality control is practically non existant now.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you....mainly the 4 long bolts for the lower control arm mounting.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You can clean the screws a bit with a wire brush, just make sure not to ruin the threads. If you live in a place where they salt the roads a little ant seize or threadlocker never hurts. Use antisieze were you need to remove bolts alot, threadlocker were you don't .
Old 01-22-2019, 04:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mark Z View Post
Thank you....mainly the 4 long bolts for the lower control arm mounting.
you dont need loctite, it wont hurt but its not needed. just make sure you have a torque wrench to put them at the proper torque spec. Also keep in mind that theres a proper order to tighten them down properly (idr what it is, i kinda just fumbled until it worked) as well as which bolts came from what holes, as one or two of the bolts will be a different length.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 PM

Wow, that thing is clean! How many miles? I've done some research myself as I will be replacing everything under the front end as well. I am sticking with OEM control arms and everything else but picked up Moog inner and outer tie rods. I replaced my inners while I had an empty engine bay, so I'm not sure what is entailed with replacement with engine in. My 2003 SE has zero rust and so work for me is a bit easier but I couldn't imagine replacing my driver side inner tie rod while the motor was in. I had to back myself up and crank pretty damn hard to loosen it. I would bet that I would have damaged the rack by torquing on it had I not been able to back myself up. It was really tight. Blue Loctite went on the inners, everything else will go together dry. Nice car!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 PM

I've removed and installed every suspension part on my 4th gen and 5.5 gen and never have I used adhesive, loctite or grease unless its required like upgrading brakes to Brembo calipers with custom brackets that I used loctite.

Everything else as Slamrod said make sure its torqued correctly.

I usually give it a few ugga duggas with my breaker bar, but I've recently invested in a Milwaukee Impact Wrench and I must say it does work wonders lol