5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Trans noise and stalling caused by lightweight flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 05:39 PM

Trans noise and stalling caused by lightweight flywheel?

Any help with this would be great, I have an 01 se maxima 3.0l with a 5 spd manual trans. Car has 275k on it. The previous owner was a customer of mine when i worked for nissan. He maintained it to the tee, right before i got the car from him he installed a donar trans with only 60k on it at my dealership, then the clutch gave out so he had my friend who was a tech do it on the side. A act heavy duty sheet clutch was installed and he bought some sort of ridiculous lightweight flywheel. Shortly after he was complaining about transmission noise so he left it sit for a year and a half before selling it to me. The transmission has like a gear rattling noise when in 1st and 2nd gear and then it's not noticeable anymore. My friend said the flywheel weighed less than a dinner plate. Does not grind any gears or pop out of gear, it's just noisy. I've been driving it for a year and a half now, and the fluid is full and clean. My questions are do the 3.0l v6 have dual mass from the factory? Does anyone else have this issue? And one other thing that's weird is after a high rpm rev, when the rpms come down, the engine will either stall or just barely recover. No dtcs snd I've already been the IAC road. Replaced the iacv and ecu, did the coolant bypass and got the idle relearn done. Im just wondering if this is related to the flywheel due to the fact of there not being the rotational mass anymore and the ecm cant catch the rpms quick enough because it's not set up/tuned for a lightweight flywheel. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-27-2019, 07:14 AM

They didn't use the heavy dual mass FW until the 6-speed in 02. It was around 31 pounds and swapping in a light flywheel makes a big difference.

I haven't heard of anyone using lightweight FWs in 5th gen cars. I don't know if the weight would cause issues. If they did it would only be at idle. It is possible that the crank position sensor pickup is in the wrong spot. Especially if the FW was originally for a different car with the same motor.

It shouldn't cause any noise other than at startup.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:55 PM
Bad *** Newb

Input shaft bearing? Common on 5 spd at high mileage.

Did you spray out the TB holes for IACV?

If you can't solve it, then just barely set TB open at idle and relearn or leave it. High idle is fine (just more oil pressure). I think mine is at 850-950.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-27-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:15 PM

The idle ports were cleaned out when I put the whole new iacv housing on with the new gasket. The trans was replaced with a good used donar with 60k on the trans and that was done at 260k. The noise didn't come until the guy put the aftermarket clutch in and a lightweight flywheel supposedly. Worst case scenario is I wait till the clutch goes bad and send the trans out to be rebuilt. I just can't see a trans bad at roughly 70k but anything is possible
Old 02-27-2019, 02:26 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Cobaltss
The idle ports were cleaned out when I put the whole new iacv housing on with the new gasket. The trans was replaced with a good used donar with 60k on the trans and that was done at 260k. The noise didn't come until the guy put the aftermarket clutch in and a lightweight flywheel supposedly. Worst case scenario is I wait till the clutch goes bad and send the trans out to be rebuilt. I just can't see a trans bad at roughly 70k but anything is possible
What about noise at higher RPM? Does it go away?
Old 02-27-2019, 03:20 PM

No, 1st is the worst, 2nd gear is still a lil noisy, once you hit 3rd gear and up it's pretty much gone. The other thing is I have been looking for factory style flywheels and it's only showing me a donut style plate? No inner piece where the bolts are suppose to go to secure it to the crack. Is there like some sort ring gear for the crank sensor pick-up that bolts to the crack and then the flywheel bolts to that? Because if I try to go back to factory I don't know what to expect when I tear it apart since the factory flywheel is long gone