5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best CV Axles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 PM

Best CV Axles?

Been researching replacement aftermarket CV Axles and can't seem to find one brand that's reliable.
OEM Nissan costs $600 while ValueAdvantage is $180.
Rockauto lists new A1 Cardone's and a company called AWPI. Has anyone had good luck with these?
Old 03-01-2019, 01:23 PM

Wrecker OEM 6th gen axles (if you have 2002-2003)
Wrecker OEM 5th gen axles
Maybe Diversified https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CV-Axle-Shaf...4:pf:0&vxp=mtr
General consensus is everything else sucks.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:00 PM

I have had luck with axles from autohausaz.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:26 AM

It's crazy that so many axles are no good. I bought a New set of A1 Cardone CV Axles for my 4th Gen Maxima, and they've held up for 10k so far
Old 03-04-2019, 10:38 AM

Try import direct from O'Reilly's. Great quality don't have to worry about shorter/thinner than oem boots and even comes with a new dust shield (at least for the 4th gen), after reviews on just about every brand I'm sticking with the import direct
Old 03-04-2019, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Violator
Try import direct from O'Reilly's. Great quality don't have to worry about shorter/thinner than oem boots and even comes with a new dust shield (at least for the 4th gen), after reviews on just about every brand I'm sticking with the import direct
No complaints with Import Direct..
Old 03-04-2019, 06:45 PM

Get OEM if you can - look on car part.

I have diversified shaft solutions on my '03; bought 'em because they have the dampener when a lot of other aftermarket brands don't.......but I can't tell you how they are yet because the cars been up on jack stands since I put 'em on last October.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:52 AM

...bought Timken outer transmission seals (made in Taiwan) from Rock Auto for my Maxima. Both seals were mis-boxed, leaked trans oil after I drove it home from the shop. Drove it back to shop.You may trust the name of Timken and Rock Auto but someone in Taiwan mis-boxed the parts & Rock wants me to partly pay for return of seals.. Bought Import Direct axles (O'Reilly) they look like a quality product and are functioning quietly.Shop manager says they get improper parts all the time
Old 04-01-2019, 01:53 PM

Neoman3: No. No. No. Don't pay shipping back to rockauto. I received mis labeled exhaust parts and while it took me forever to convince them it was the wrong part but correct part number they did pay return shipping.

Not your fault if misboxed.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:25 PM

So I finally took a good look at the CV Axles and they are way gone. I'm going to give the Import Direct a try. Thx for the input!
Old 04-06-2019, 04:51 AM
Banned

Try raxles

https://www.raxles.com/

Not sure what they charge as they don't give prices on their website but I have never heard anything but wonderful reviews for them.

https://www.raxles.com/joshhickey.aspx
Old 04-06-2019, 11:01 AM

Raxles no longer sell axles for our cars - has been quite a while.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bumping this thread because no sense in making another.

My passenger side axle snapped last night. I was in a parking lot going into 1st and there was a bunch of loud clunking and my car suddenly wouldnt put down any power. I got out and saw my pass axle between the hub and carrier was laying on the pavement, so thats the end of that. Hefty tow bill got her back home but now i need to find an axle asap.

Whats the go to brand these days? Saw a couple of people saying FEQ axles thru advance auto are good. My concern is that it appears the pass. side axle doesnt have the vibration damper while the driver side does. Anyone know brands that have the damper? Im having a lot of difficulty finding ones for a 6speed that have that on the pass. side. If for whatever reason anyone has had success without that damper (ie; no vibrations or other issues) i guess ill grab them.

Reallllly not looking to throw in dogcrap axles and have to replace them less than a year later. If anyone has recommendations im all ears. Much appreciated as always.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Bumping this thread because no sense in making another.

My passenger side axle snapped last night. I was in a parking lot going into 1st and there was a bunch of loud clunking and my car suddenly wouldnt put down any power. I got out and saw my pass axle between the hub and carrier was laying on the pavement, so thats the end of that. Hefty tow bill got her back home but now i need to find an axle asap.

Whats the go to brand these days? Saw a couple of people saying FEQ axles thru advance auto are good. My concern is that it appears the pass. side axle doesnt have the vibration damper while the driver side does. Anyone know brands that have the damper? Im having a lot of difficulty finding ones for a 6speed that have that on the pass. side. If for whatever reason anyone has had success without that damper (ie; no vibrations or other issues) i guess ill grab them.

Reallllly not looking to throw in dogcrap axles and have to replace them less than a year later. If anyone has recommendations im all ears. Much appreciated as always.
rock auto. Ive gotten both mine from there. Exact part numbers and fitment. Also easy on the wallet. 5 speed trans
Old 10-17-2019, 09:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Murdered01
rock auto. Ive gotten both mine from there. Exact part numbers and fitment. Also easy on the wallet. 5 speed trans
sorry, should have clarified, this is for a 6speed trans. The ones available off of rockauto for 6speed do not seem to perform well at least according to what ive read.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Violator
Agreed.....made the same purchase after a side by side comparison....solid piece from O'Reilly for 2000 Max SE 5 speed.....applied protectant to the boots after install 9 months ago.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by theoman3
Agreed.....made the same purchase after a side by side comparison....solid piece from O'Reilly for 2000 Max SE 5 speed.....applied protectant to the boots after install 9 months ago.
These dont have the damper on them either. Really looking for a brand that has that so I wont have vibration issues. Again, this is for a 6 speed, not for a 5 speed.

EDIT: Ended up buying DSS for the driver side, OPPARTS for the pass side. Apparently theyre made at the same factory. Ill update when i get the axles and install them.

Last edited by Slamrod; 10-17-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:17 PM

Do 6 speeds come stock OEM w/ damper?
Old 10-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just a short update. Replaced the passenger axle with a new “OP PARTS” brand axle. No issues whatsoever, had the dampener and overall seemed like good quality. The “DSS” brand driver side axle however was lacking the rubber dampener so I am returning it. Probably not gonna bother buying another since the driver side is fine; i was only gonna swap it since i like to do everything in pairs but no sense now that everythings fixed. I have not driven it around a lot yet but if anything changes Ill be sure to post about it.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Just a short update. Replaced the passenger axle with a new “OP PARTS” brand axle. No issues whatsoever, had the dampener and overall seemed like good quality. The “DSS” brand driver side axle however was lacking the rubber dampener so I am returning it. Probably not gonna bother buying another since the driver side is fine; i was only gonna swap it since i like to do everything in pairs but no sense now that everythings fixed. I have not driven it around a lot yet but if anything changes Ill be sure to post about it.

Can you let me know where you picked up the OP Part axle? My old Cardone is basically Car done.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Can you let me know where you picked up the OP Part axle? My old Cardone is basically Car done.
Opparts is basically the house brand for IMC
Old 08-17-2020, 07:43 PM

DSS axles

Originally Posted by TSelanne
Get OEM if you can - look on car part.

I have diversified shaft solutions on my '03; bought 'em because they have the dampener when a lot of other aftermarket brands don't.......but I can't tell you how they are yet because the cars been up on jack stands since I put 'em on last October.

How are those DSS axles holding up (assuming she’s off the jack stands)??

Any vibration or noise??

Do both the Driver and Pass side have the dampener?
Old 08-26-2020, 10:58 AM

The left axle on mine needed a new boot a couple years ago. Everything on the aftermarket was Chinese, and every brand had lots of complaints about noise, vibration, breakage, etc. I decided to rebuild the original Japanese axle, rather than putting a piece of junk under the car. It was a lot more work than slapping on a new axle, but worth it IMO.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:09 PM

^^^ nice dude! sounds like the best longterm choice.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:59 PM

For the lowered guys, I recently put out an email to Raxles. I explained the 5th gen situation, what I knew about the history of Raxles and the 4th & 5th gen heydays, how they were the solution to lowered Maximas, and got a response stating that they won't build a one-off. I wrote back asking for any info regarding modifications that were necessary to get a set of axles to Raxles specs myself and never heard back from them.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by User1
For the lowered guys, I recently put out an email to Raxles. I explained the 5th gen situation, what I knew about the history of Raxles and the 4th & 5th gen heydays, how they were the solution to lowered Maximas, and got a response stating that they won't build a one-off. I wrote back asking for any info regarding modifications that were necessary to get a set of axles to Raxles specs myself and never heard back from them.
Raxles doesn't make a stock replacement, do they? I seem to remember looking into that a couple years ago.

Jack
Old 09-01-2020, 10:14 AM

Would anyone know what the axle seal p/n is for the 02’ 6-spd?

Is it 38342M / N?

Nissan just told me it was 38342 and 32113.