5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima running hot

Old 03-14-2019, 09:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima running hot

I have a 2000 maxima and ive changed water pump,hoses,radiator,fan motors,thermostat,temperature switch,and fan coolant switch and my tempature gauge. My temp runs very higher than usual then the fans kick on and cool it down its not normal it use to turn on when it gets half way. The only code my car is reading is po420 i dont know if thats the problem or not but as long as my ac compressor is on i dont have to worry about it at all.if im driving it doesnt run hot but when im in park or jus sitting still it runs up any suggestion to help me figure out the problem
Old 03-14-2019, 10:47 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Boo Brix View Post
I have a 2000 maxima and ive changed water pump,hoses,radiator,fan motors,thermostat,temperature switch,and fan coolant switch and my tempature gauge. My temp runs very higher than usual then the fans kick on and cool it down its not normal it use to turn on when it gets half way. The only code my car is reading is po420 i dont know if thats the problem or not but as long as my ac compressor is on i dont have to worry about it at all.if im driving it doesnt run hot but when im in park or jus sitting still it runs up any suggestion to help me figure out the problem
You replaced the coolant sensor for the ECU?

I would verify with obd reader what the temp is. If the dummy gauge isn't lying, then the coolant sensor for the ECU must be bad, b/c the fans should kick on at 195, IIRC.
Of course, I also wouldn't rule out ****ty t-stat/air as a compounding factor (happens all the time, gotta test on stove and make sure fully opens at 180).
If sensor is good and fans kick on correctly, then it's a flow problem.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 03-14-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:28 PM

did you change out both thermostats?
Old 03-17-2019, 11:10 AM

If the temperature stays normal when the a/c is on, meaning the fans are running all the time, this seems like a fan turn on problem. I have to go with Child_uv_KoRn on the coolant temperature sensor (ECTS). You can measure the resistance in the morning before you start the car. Just unplug the wire and meter across the 2 contacts in the sensor. At 68 F, the resistance should be 2.1 to 2.9K ohms. If the temperature is colder, the resistance will be greater. 50 F will be around 3.5K ohm. An easier way is to use an OBD reader. It will report the temperature as the ECU sees it.