5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Knock Sensor Q

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 05:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Knock Sensor Q

This should be an easy one. Will I see any difference in using a 5.5gen knock sensor over one from a 7th gen (ie; HR motor swap)? Is there a difference between aftermarket and OEM like most other sensors on these cars? Need to re-install a knock sensor on my motor so I can safely tune in about a month or so when im finally done with class for the semester. As this is my daily driver, reliability and motor safety are absolutely the #1 most critical factor for me, so I want to make sure Im using the ideal setup here. Will it matter which bank I hook the knock sensor up to? Or is it possible to link both knock sensors together (again, HR motor) and have the signals from both feed into the ECU with one wire?

Also another Q: does anyone know off the top of their head if NDS2 or romraider have knock monitoring? What I mean by that is if they can log knocks and correlate where on the maps the knock is occurring so that specific cell can be addressed properly. I remember reading about this feature but Im not sure if thats something specific to Uprev or if either NDS2 or romraider have this as well. Thanks guys.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
This should be an easy one. Will I see any difference in using a 5.5gen knock sensor over one from a 7th gen (ie; HR motor swap)? Is there a difference between aftermarket and OEM like most other sensors on these cars? Need to re-install a knock sensor on my motor so I can safely tune in about a month or so when im finally done with class for the semester. As this is my daily driver, reliability and motor safety are absolutely the #1 most critical factor for me, so I want to make sure Im using the ideal setup here. Will it matter which bank I hook the knock sensor up to? Or is it possible to link both knock sensors together (again, HR motor) and have the signals from both feed into the ECU with one wire?

Also another Q: does anyone know off the top of their head if NDS2 or romraider have knock monitoring? What I mean by that is if they can log knocks and correlate where on the maps the knock is occurring so that specific cell can be addressed properly. I remember reading about this feature but Im not sure if thats something specific to Uprev or if either NDS2 or romraider have this as well. Thanks guys.
I'd doubt either of those programs would have an intricate feature like that. I know that your car will begin to run on the knock maps if it senses knock or an issue with the sensor. You could maybe log when you switch to knock maps, really you would just need to log timing, load and RPM and see where you start running on knock timing
Old 04-19-2019, 07:47 PM

Bought my new, OEM, 5th gen knock sensor on Ebay, $45. Bought my OEM sub harness from my local dealer, don't remember the price. My knock sensor is monitoring bank 2, no sensor for bank 1. No sensor issues thus far at 3.5Kmi on my swap. I doubt 5th gen ECU software is capable of processing multiple knock sensors, but that's based on a hunch and absolutely zero research. Are you still running your bypass?

Edit: Using new, OEM 5th gen knock sensor
Old 04-20-2019, 08:15 AM

Oh yeah and each engines ecu/ks is tuned for a certain frequency recognized as knock. Using the 7th gen sensor could throw off the signal the 5.5 gen computer looks for. Because the 5.5 and 7th gen are still very similar engines I think the old sensor should still function but won't be as effective as a KS on both banks
Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 PM

For ease of install, use a 5.5 gen sensor. The 5.5 gen grounds through the block where the 7th gen requires grounding back to the ECU.

The sensors themselves are just "dumb" devices, essentially just microphones. They aren't tuned for a specific frequency, the ECU deals with that.

You cannot run 2 in parallel as the interference would produce unreliable input data to the ECU.

I've set up a number of loggable ECU parameters for RomRaider and have looked closely at the knock routine used in these ECUs. Unfortunately many of the variables have vague descriptions and I'm uncertain how some of the specifics work. The best parameter to log would be the timing pulled as a result of detecting knock. This is a separate from the regular/high octane trimming maps
Old 07-10-2020, 10:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I saw in another thread that nisformance at one time sold a knock sensor wiring update/harness for the swap that was considered essential to keep the HR engine off the knock map with the older sensor, but it's no longer available and I can't find any info on it anywhere other than this dead link: http://www.nisformance.com/product-p/ks55wire.htm

Do you guys know anything about that? Sounds like a lot of power is left on the table if you run a knock sensor instead of a resistor with the stock ecu. But I'm not comfortable running without a knock sensor, just want it to run as good as possible on stock ecu.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:50 PM

If im not mistaken, the 6 and 7 gen knock sensor will not fit 5.5 gen harness plug. Trust me ive tried it only to find out it will not plug in.