5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clutch/flywheel noise with cold motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clutch/flywheel noise with cold motor

When going into first or reverse, ill get this awful moaning noise from my clutch. The noise only occurs when im actively going into gear, and only when the motor isnt warmed up. It doesnt sound like a throwout bearing noise, as its like a groaning/moaning noise rather than a whirring. Best way i could describe it is that loud moaning noise that big rig trucks make with their brakes right when they are about to come to a complete stop. Noise does not happen if the car isnt moving/about to move - no noise when engaging/disengaging the clutch by itself, only when going into gear and movement. Also I dont notice the noise going into 2nd or any higher gears, idk if thats because you dont have to slip the clutch as much or because engine/road noise masks it.

Not sure why this only happens when the car isnt warmed up. I have a stage 1 exedy and LW fidanza flywheel also, new nissan TB was also installed. I dont have any other issues except for this noise.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:29 PM

At a stop, with the engine running and the clutch depressed, can you randomly and freely move about through the gears without resistance?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by User1
At a stop, with the engine running and the clutch depressed, can you randomly and freely move about through the gears without resistance?
Yup, no grinding, no undue resistance, no shuddering clutch pedal. I cant identify any symptoms whatsoever that correlate with any problem. All thats happening is this groaning noise, and I cant for the life of me figure out what it is. I will say that sometimes reverse doesnt want to go into gear all the way, but this was also a thing with my last transmission, and would happen occasionally with my 4th gens - if i shift into second it "resets" the gears and I can shift into reverse no problem. I wouldnt say that is at all related though, just the nature of reverse have straight cut unsyncho'd gears.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Yup, no grinding, no undue resistance, no shuddering clutch pedal. I cant identify any symptoms whatsoever that correlate with any problem. All thats happening is this groaning noise, and I cant for the life of me figure out what it is. I will say that sometimes reverse doesnt want to go into gear all the way, but this was also a thing with my last transmission, and would happen occasionally with my 4th gens - if i shift into second it "resets" the gears and I can shift into reverse no problem. I wouldnt say that is at all related though, just the nature of reverse have straight cut unsyncho'd gears.
Problem is somewhere with the clutch/flywheel surface or maybe the input shaft. My old clutch give a belt like squeal when shifting into 1st or 2nd. Wish I could better understand the sound you described I can't think of the semi sound
Old 05-09-2019, 06:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Violator
Problem is somewhere with the clutch/flywheel surface or maybe the input shaft. My old clutch give a belt like squeal when shifting into 1st or 2nd. Wish I could better understand the sound you described I can't think of the semi sound
Ill try to get a video of it making the sound. I tried to take one this morning but I let my car warm up too much for it to be loud enough for my phone to pick up over backround noise. I definitely think it has something to do with the surfaces as well, I really cant describe it but it sounds like the noise is in sync with the rotation of the flywheel. I guess another way to describe it is like that harmonic noise that you get when you rub a wet finger around the rim of a crystal wine glass - imagine that but instead of being high pitched its a much lower, deeper frequency.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:33 AM

It's the throwout bearing. I let mine do it for over a year before I replaced the clutch & flywheel.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
It's the throwout bearing. I let mine do it for over a year before I replaced the clutch & flywheel.

I agree. Didn't want to jump to that conclusion right away in my first response though. But what else could it be? Always start with Occam's razor.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would think its the TOB, but it doesnt sound like any noise that i can find associated with a bad TOB. Plus, the noise is only present as the clutch is being engaged going into gear - theres no noise when the clutch is depressed fully or at any point in between unless im putting the car into motion. Also, the TOB was replaced with a brand new, still in the packaging nissan TOB, which is why I have doubts. On the other hand, Ive read that sometimes a TOB can be defective and the grease inside of it gets dried out - heat from the motor causes it to melt and coat the bearing properly, which eliminates the noise, but when its cold, its still dry and not lubricating properly, which makes a noise. But again, the typical symptoms of when that noise is appearing, and the noise itself, dont seem to be at all present.

In any case, im going to have to drop my tranny again at some point, which is reaaaaaally going to suck because itll be much more difficult with the motor in the car. Plus I need to buy a transmission jack. FML :/
Old 05-09-2019, 08:49 PM

Post a video.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
I would think its the TOB, but it doesnt sound like any noise that i can find associated with a bad TOB. Plus, the noise is only present as the clutch is being engaged going into gear - theres no noise when the clutch is depressed fully or at any point in between unless im putting the car into motion. Also, the TOB was replaced with a brand new, still in the packaging nissan TOB, which is why I have doubts. On the other hand, Ive read that sometimes a TOB can be defective and the grease inside of it gets dried out - heat from the motor causes it to melt and coat the bearing properly, which eliminates the noise, but when its cold, its still dry and not lubricating properly, which makes a noise. But again, the typical symptoms of when that noise is appearing, and the noise itself, dont seem to be at all present.

In any case, im going to have to drop my tranny again at some point, which is reaaaaaally going to suck because itll be much more difficult with the motor in the car. Plus I need to buy a transmission jack. FML :/
I hated to give you the bad news but mine was the loud moan when the engine was cold and when engaging. I don't have any video to show you the sound, but it would resemble you saying AHHHHHHHHHH with a mouthful of marbles.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:22 AM

Does seem like it could also be throw out bearing related it just doesn't sound like the usual noise of a bad throwout. They aren'treplace it and inspect everything else while you're in there
Old 05-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TallTom
I hated to give you the bad news but mine was the loud moan when the engine was cold and when engaging. I don't have any video to show you the sound, but it would resemble you saying AHHHHHHHHHH with a mouthful of marbles.
Kinda hard to imagine what that would sound like, but I think that might be it. Well that sucks ****. What really pissed me off is that I went out of my way to buy the nissan TOB, and didnt use the TOB that came with the exedy clutch.. which was the exact same TOB. No idea how its bad right out the box but apparently that seems to be the case. Ill post a video when I get a chance, I keep forgetting to take one before going to work.