5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Understanding the stock SE v GLE suspension differences

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 12:01 AM

Understanding the stock SE v GLE suspension differences

The following is from the Nissan web site:

"Maxima SE comes with a sport-tuned suspension for an extra-firm, extra-tight ride. It features a larger front stabilizer bar as well as sport-tuned rear springs and shock absorbers."

From the brochure:
"Sport-tuned suspension - higher rear spring rate; thicker front stabilizer bar"

Question 1: I'm not sure what a "front stabilizer bar" is (a sway bar?)...should I think about adding a "larger" one -- the OEM SE part -- to my GLE? (I just added the Stillen RSB.)

Question 2: Only the rear springs are different on the SE?

Question 3: are all the struts different on the SE, or just the rears? Or are they different at all?
Old 02-05-2002, 12:22 AM

Re: Understanding the stock SE v GLE suspension differences

Ah, I think this has already been addressed in:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....6901&highlight

though I'm still not sure about the front stabilizer bar yet...
Old 02-05-2002, 01:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Understanding the stock SE v GLE suspension differences

Originally posted by plockton
Ah, I think this has already been addressed in:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....6901&highlight

though I'm still not sure about the front stabilizer bar yet...
The front stabilizer bar is basically a sway bar. Just based from my recollection of the SE front stabilizer bar - the GXE stabilizer bar does seem to be thinner. They also have different Nissan part numbers.

The rear springs are also different although I doubt the rear shocks are since Nissan has the same part number for the the SE/GXE/GLE.

I just bought rear SE springs from someone on this board. If anybody is interested I'll let you know if this makes my GXE feel like the SE. It's pretty easy for me to test this since I'll have the exact same rims/tires and mods and will be "testing" it over the exact same twisty road.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Understanding the stock SE v GLE suspension differences

Originally posted by sleepermax

The front stabilizer bar is basically a sway bar. Just based from my recollection of the SE front stabilizer bar - the GXE stabilizer bar does seem to be thinner. They also have different Nissan part numbers.

The rear springs are also different although I doubt the rear shocks are since Nissan has the same part number for the the SE/GXE/GLE.

I just bought rear SE springs from someone on this board. If anybody is interested I'll let you know if this makes my GXE feel like the SE. It's pretty easy for me to test this since I'll have the exact same rims/tires and mods and will be "testing" it over the exact same twisty road.
Well, I'd certainly be interested in how your swap goes since I was contemplating the same thing (if someone has OEM SE springs to fit an '02 please drop me a note)! I want to follow up on a couple things, from the post you made on this topic in the earlier thread I referenced above. First:

"The SE also has a different rear insulator assembly-shock absorber mounting to accomodate the stiffer springs."

Are you doing anything about this, i.e., changing the "insulator assembly-shock absorber mounting"? (Whatever that is.)

"Also, to accomodate the thicker front stabilizer bar, different stabilizer bar bushings are used, as well as slightly different left and right complete transverse links.

So there's probably not an easy way to do a GXE to SE suspension conversion...the front stabilizer bar would be a pain because you'd probably have to replace the transverse links

I take it this still holds?

Was nice to learn that the rear struts appear to be the same for the GLE/GXE/SE.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:11 PM

Ok finally got around to swapping out the rear springs.
The rear shock insulators are probabaly basically the same on all models. The SE insulators may be a bit larger in circumference but who knows. It doesn't matter whatsoever as far as the spring swap goes. This was a very easy swap and the car now rides and feels very much like my SE did. Actually I like the combination of these stiffer SE rear springs and GXE front stabilizer bar better! I can take turns just about the same speed as on the SE and the car feels more stable at high speeds than before, just like the SE did. Based on my experience on the two cars I don't feel it matters much which front stabilizer bar you have as long as you also have a FTSB. The ride is just a little less harsh with the GXE front stabilizer bar, compared to the SE - but the trade-off in handling is minimal. That's why I like this combination better (SE rear springs, GXE front stabilizer bar). The handling difference would probably be more pronounced without the FTSB. ALSO regardless which car you have...get a RSB!
Old 02-17-2002, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by sleepermax
Ok finally got around to swapping out the rear springs.
The rear shock insulators are probabaly basically the same on all models. The SE insulators may be a bit larger in circumference but who knows. It doesn't matter whatsoever as far as the spring swap goes. This was a very easy swap and the car now rides and feels very much like my SE did. Actually I like the combination of these stiffer SE rear springs and GXE front stabilizer bar better! I can take turns just about the same speed as on the SE and the car feels more stable at high speeds than before, just like the SE did. Based on my experience on the two cars I don't feel it matters much which front stabilizer bar you have as long as you also have a FTSB. The ride is just a little less harsh with the GXE front stabilizer bar, compared to the SE - but the trade-off in handling is minimal. That's why I like this combination better (SE rear springs, GXE front stabilizer bar). The handling difference would probably be more pronounced without the FTSB. ALSO regardless which car you have...get a RSB!
Like you, I'd be interested in getting some rear OEM '02 SE springs from anyone here who is changing to Eibachs, H&R's etc.

FWIW, I looked further into the differences between the GLE and SE front sway bars and swapping them. From what I can tell parts-wise, it may be doable without much difficulty--though I couldn't really tell without getting under my car.

The sway bar itself is different, of course, and the links on each side that connect it to the big -- whatever they are...the lower a-arms? -- are different but not the a-arms themselves, as are the bushings, but on first glance it looks like a bolt on.

Again, I won't know more until I'm under the car. Taking of the bush bracket will be question one...can it be done with the engine in place? And then, can the bar be removed?

But based on what you've said, it may simply be uneccessary.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by plockton

Like you, I'd be interested in getting some rear OEM '02 SE springs from anyone here who is changing to Eibachs, H&R's etc.

FWIW, I looked further into the differences between the GLE and SE front sway bars and swapping them. From what I can tell parts-wise, it may be doable without much difficulty--though I couldn't really tell without getting under my car.

The sway bar itself is different, of course, and the links on each side that connect it to the big -- whatever they are...the lower a-arms? -- are different but not the a-arms themselves, as are the bushings, but on first glance it looks like a bolt on.

Again, I won't know more until I'm under the car. Taking of the bush bracket will be question one...can it be done with the engine in place? And then, can the bar be removed?

But based on what you've said, it may simply be uneccessary.
Well the lower a-arms or transverse links DO have different part numbers but I'm not sure what the specific difference(s) is/are. If it's just a minor difference in order to fit the SE bushings then it may not be necessary to replace these. Let me know if you find out more.