5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 maxima - Bose radio questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 12:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 maxima - Bose radio questions

Hey whats up, i have a 03 maxima gle and i have a question on regards to the bose radio factory. Should i find a way to adapt an aux 8n put or just install a aftermarket radio for the car. The only issue i have that i want to try and keep the bose system speakers and be able to hear them with full potential. Any suggestions
Old 04-26-2020, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If you want to keep your Bose speakers, you need to keep your Bose head-unit. However, are you sure that what you want? The cheapest POS speakers you can find on the internet are equivalent if not better quality, those old Bose speakers are ancient and weren't even anything special when they were new.

Not a straight forward swap sadly. You will need a new head unit and speakers, as well as new speaker wires to be run to every door. Alternatively you could just reroute all the wires going into the Bose amp so it gets bypassed, which is what I did, but if I had to do it again I would probably just run the new wires.

If youre content with your setup now, just wire in an aux connector. If you want something better, you gotta replace the whole system. You can thank Bose for making things intentionally difficult.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks a lot for the info. I guess the aux adapter is what i am going to go with. Im greatful for the advice. Quick question do you know which aux adapter would be best or point me in a direction i greatly appreciate it
Old 04-26-2020, 04:30 PM

If you want to replace the Bose head unit and keep the Bose speakers, get a PAC ROEM NIS2 adapter. Depending on where you buy it, the price starts at around $30.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Fquint74
Thanks a lot for the info. I guess the aux adapter is what i am going to go with. Im greatful for the advice. Quick question do you know which aux adapter would be best or point me in a direction i greatly appreciate it
I ended up replacing my Bose so Im really not sure, unfortunately. While I had it though, I used a cassette tape adapter, basically a tape that you insert that has an aux coming out. What brand you get probably wont matter, HOWEVER... most come with gears inside them to simulate what a real tape would be doing. With our cars, these gears must be removed, or else the headunit will endlessly wind the tape searching for something that isnt there. Simply open the tape adapter up, pull the gears out, close it up - and youre good to go.

If youre handy with soldering you could physically wire an aux cable into the circuitry of the head unit. Again not something I did, but you can find tutorials all over the internet. If i were you I would use the tape adapter for simplicity sake, if your set on maintaining the Bose system.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I brought one of the bluetooth tape adapter. I charged it and the playback is weak i switch it to Fm and i have a way better sound but i switched it back to the tape the plyback is terrible any suggestions
Old 04-26-2020, 06:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You can slightly improve quality just by reducing the number of mediums it needs to transfer through, which is what soldering an aux cable would be doing - but its still a 20 year old headunit that was mediocre when it first came out. I would replace the whole system, or use the impedance adapter that DennisMik mentioned. Or just live with what you got. I think youre looking for the “magic bullet” solution that unfortunately does not exist.

Edit: Not sure if I read your post correctly, I would avoid bluetooth anything if you are seeking quality, unless its newer bluetooth tech. Definitely a potential cause of quality loss.

Last edited by Slamrod; 04-26-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bro, all you guys are very helpful really appreciate it i m ordering a new hu the coversation kit and calling it your right its a old hu and ill do the upgrade thanks a again
Old 04-26-2020, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Fquint74
Bro, all you guys are very helpful really appreciate it i m ordering a new hu the coversation kit and calling it your right its a old hu and ill do the upgrade thanks a again
Hope it all works out for you. If you run into any snags, you can always use the search function, just make sure you tick the box that says “google search” if youre looking up a topic or an idea rather than an exact specific thread. You can find practically anything you will ever need to know about these cars in old threads via the search bar.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
If you want to keep your Bose speakers, you need to keep your Bose head-unit.
If youre content with your setup now, If you want something better, you gotta replace the whole system. You can thank Bose for making things intentionally difficult.
this is not true at all , i replaced my bose head unit with a alipine head unit and kept all of my original bose speakers, sub and sub amp.

dennismik posted the adapter to use any headunit with the factory speakers a PAC ROEM NIS2 adapter.

crutchfield will litereally have everythign you need out the door under $100. they are extremely helpful with DIY as well. i ran into a snap in the middle of the process and called them and they literally held my hand in the middle of the process and we figured it out. and frankly replacing the head unit wiring wise is not easy because what slamrod was referencing, but it can be done with an adapter and paitence on wiring up the adapter vs a standard headunit install.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:18 PM

I ended up replacing my Bose so Im really not sure, unfortunately. While I had it though, I used a cassette tape adapter, basically a tape that you insert that has an aux coming out. What brand you get probably wont matter, HOWEVER... most come with gears inside them to simulate what a real tape would be doing. With our cars, these gears must be removed, or else the headunit will endlessly wind the tape searching for something that isnt there. Simply open the tape adapter up, pull the gears out, close it up - and youre good to go.

If youre handy with soldering you could physically wire an aux cable into the circuitry of the head unit. Again not something I did, but you can find tutorials all over the internet. If i were you I would use the tape adapter for simplicity sake, if your set on maintaining the Bose system.
Stupid question, are you ever worried about theft of the head unit? I'm in the city and it's my main concern. My last car had window tint but I lived in Philly where the law is more relaxed. Now living in NY, I cant even get my car past inspection with tint.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:39 AM

this isn't entirely true either, i used a plug and play tape adapter with an aux cord and had no modifications to it (removing the gears) and it worked fine for 10 years until the actual tape player stopped working. you shouldn't have to remove the gears of the tape adapter, that's exactly what it is supposed to do. and it worked fine with stock bose.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Stupid question, are you ever worried about theft of the head unit? I'm in the city and it's my main concern. My last car had window tint but I lived in Philly where the law is more relaxed. Now living in NY, I cant even get my car past inspection with tint.
is it me or is stealing headunits such a 90s thing? i mean systems are barely a thing compared to how it used to be in cd days.

and i never wanted an aftermarket hu for these reasons and to keep it clean stock looking, but i cant believe i didn' t upgrade earlier ! completely changed my car and modernized it so much, i have hands free calling, quality blue tooth audio, and steering wheel controls. but most headunits have that remove the face plate thing, if you are really concerned, my alpine has it as well. i remember i took it off once when parking overnight in a sketchy area.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
is it me or is stealing headunits such a 90s thing? i mean systems are barely a thing compared to how it used to be in cd days.
and i never wanted an aftermarket hu for these reasons and to keep it clean stock looking, but i cant believe i didn' t upgrade earlier ! completely changed my car and modernized it so much, i have hands free calling, quality blue tooth audio, and steering wheel controls. but most headunits have that remove the face plate thing, if you are really concerned, my alpine has it as well. i remember i took it off once when parking overnight in a sketchy area.
I agree. Doubtful head units carry any value except if going into a 2006 and older vehicle. All the newer cars nowadays have infotainment units and gadgetry included within the same unit.

To the OP: An aftermarket headunit will make the Bose speakers come alive a bit more, but don't expect mind blowing results; the highs are crisper and "higher" and the bass depends on the condition of the Bose sub you have (to reduce rattle simply put some insulation around the metal plate surrounding the sub, or just jam a towel between the rear deck and windshield). On my '01 I had the factory head unit and speakers and installed an AUX/iPod converter that hooked right into the Bose head unit. All stock in appearance with the added feature of plugging my smartphone in to play music as well as charge it. I think the piece is what DennisMik posted. Otherwise if you're set on an aftermarket head unit you definitely can't go wrong with all the options available and features they come with (Bluetooth, Back-up camera). Good luck!
Old 04-30-2020, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by 03_GLE
to reduce rattle simply put some insulation around the metal plate surrounding the sub, or just jam a towel between the rear deck and windshield).
speaking of sound proofing, the biggest culprit on our cars with rattles are in our rear seat belts. see how to fix it here ( shift ice sound proof how to)

and crutchfield has everything you will possibly need , as well as tech support to help with DIY install
Old 04-30-2020, 05:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the infor i ordered everything i needed. And also not really looking to go nuts with the system yet but we shall see what happends
Old 04-30-2020, 05:45 AM

The Bose head unit doesn't hurt the sound at all. It gives a full range signal to the amp. You need to bypass the amp if you want better sound. That's how a lot of those Bose systems work. Even these crappy factory speakers will sound better with aftermarket amplification. Obviously best is no speakers as well. If you want to add Bluetooth, USB, etc. to factory system check out Grom Audio. Not cheap but seamless.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:09 PM

try checking another fuse under the hood. It is fuse # 67 that has the label of "SPEAKER". It is only used for the woofer.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks bro i checked that and it was ok but while i got you here if i were to changed he amp itself would i still need to bypass the bose systen
Old 05-07-2020, 05:58 PM

No.