5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need pictures of throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 09:59 PM

Need pictures of throttle body

I hate to bother you all but I need a picture of a throttle body that hasn't been messed with, specifically the screw they told us not to touch and the plate inside the throttle body. My starter went out a few months ago so I decided to replace it myself because it didn't seem like a big deal, and while I was there and took apart the air box and maf, I decided to.... Clean the throttle body! You guys talk about idle getting better and all of that, I had the stupid P0505 going on so I was idling at 900-1000 in park and about 800 in drive, so why not! But that wasn't enough, you see. I also had to play with the little screw and jam a towel in the plate while I sprayed the ever living sssssssh out of the throttle body and the plate. I think I may have even taken the plate out with a screwdriver, cleaned it and put it back in.

Anyway, long story short, now my car's doing some weird stutter if I gently hold the gas from stop, specifically between 1500-2000 rpm. After that the car runs better than it should, but a slow start jerks the car and it almost feel like the throttle plate kind of wobbles open and shut. Sort of feels like limp mode but it goes away if you press the gas firmly.

I know it's the throttle body and not the transmission because the same thing happens in park. I hold the gas gently, the needle goes to 1500-2000 and starts struggling and not letting me gently push it past 2000, only if I press harder. I called junkyards and none of them had a throttle body, a new one costs as much as my car. A dealership tb costs WAY more than my car. It didn't crap out, the car drives like a monster if you go past 60km/h (like..35mi?) Revs like crazy and flies so I think I can still save the tb, I just don't know what I did because I don't remember what it looked like.

So yeah.. If anyone did something as stupid as this, or if you have pictures of a throttle body, please post.

Ps: to any 2000 Maxima owners struggling with the P0505 issue or high idle, I found a way to solve it. I'm not sure if it's a permanent solution or a bandaid, but my idle is within spec and I never replaced the IACV, and it stays this way even after the battery has been unplugged for a day.

This is what I did. I followed the idle relearn procedure with the warming up the car and having no electric load and waiting 5 seconds to disconnect and reconnect, but what I did was turn on the AC while the brown TPS connector was still disconnected. No other electric load, just turned on the ac. My idle dropped INSTANTLY to a respectable 750, driving idle around 650. I've read that some of you folks had idle issues even after replacing the iacv, so this is definitely worth a try.

I've done the following:
Replaced starter
All NGK Irridium spark plugs, replaced 10,000km ago or so
Flushed transmission
Replaced alternator
Replaced MAF sensor and housing
Running a K&N filter in a GAB (not really a GAB, just drilled some holes in the filter holder and it still works great, the induction box has a cool growl past 3000 rpm)
ran seafoam in the brake booster vacuum, ran seamfoam semi regularly in the gas tank (along with ONLY filling 91/94)
Ran seafoam in the crank case before an oil change, and only use royal purple synthetic.
Ran a grounding kit I made myself out of 4awg wire and regrounded and cleaned up other connections but didn't go alternator to positive because I couldn't find a good inline fuse holder at the time and didn't want to risk my starter catching fire again by connecting it without a fuse.

Right now the only code I'm getting is small evap leak, my OBDII scanner didn't even pick that one up, I had to use someone else's. Not sure how factual it is.

Edit: it's a 2000 Maxima GLE manufactured in Dec. 1999

Last edited by Thrillho; 08-23-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:35 PM

I pulled out the throttle body to adjust the screw manually because I couldn't get to it from any angle, but my question is this: was there a nut on the small screw before? I feel as if there was one.. Also what's the correct way to adjust it? Should I tighten the screw until the sound of the vacuum engaging the plate disappears, or should the screw be loosened so that the sound of the vacuum engaging is more audible?
Old 09-03-2020, 05:37 PM

Also I forgot, which way does the gasket need to be installed on the tb? Not the o ring, the other one. Should the rubber outline on the gasket be towards the tb, or towards the black plate?
Old 09-03-2020, 06:46 PM

Stop dumping seafoam into every orifice you can find and go get a junkyard TB. Done.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:41 PM

The thing is I've put seafoam into the crank case and the fuel tank and the brake booster vacuum but never into the tb itself. I wet a rag in it and wiped it from the inside and then wiped it dry with another rag. I opted for cleaning the throttle body entirely by hand! Great results.