5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Maxima GLE having radiator fan issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 03:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002 Maxima GLE having radiator fan issues

Hi guys! I知 hoping someone could help me out with any advice that they have for me regarding my radiator fans not working :/ in the summer I noticed that my car was overheating, and upon inspection the fan that cools down the engine wasn稚 working, only the AC fan, so I ended up getting the fans replaced with a used set, and in the beginning it worked great I did a lot of tests to make sure that the fan kicked in when it needed to and that the AC Fan was working but now about 2 months later the problem has reversed and the AC fan isn稚 working, and the main fan kicks in but my car still overheats when idling I知 really frustrated and stressed out because I知 not sure what the problem could be, maybe the used fan gave out on me? Or do you think it could be a fuze or something electrical. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you so much!!
Old 10-07-2020, 01:55 PM

There is no such thing as an "AC fan" or a "Main fan".
The two fans work as one unit. Also, whenever your AC is ON, the fan (hence, both fans) should run. So, if only one of your fans does not run, that fan (or the associated connector) is faulty.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
There is no such thing as an "AC fan" or a "Main fan".
The two fans work as one unit. Also, whenever your AC is ON, the fan (hence, both fans) should run. So, if only one of your fans does not run, that fan (or the associated connector) is faulty.
I mean I知 not a car expert but what I meant was the AC Fan as in the fan that kicks in when my AC is on lol otherwise it doesn稚 run that痴 why I called it that, but it痴 currently not working at all and the other fan is on at all times that cools down the engine but it does take time to kick in and start working after my cars started. Since I just got my fan replaced about 2 months ago and now one fan isn稚 working I'm thinking it痴 a different issue than the fans.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:37 PM

when it comes to fan it's best to get new motors, the last thing you want is to overheat and blow a head gasket.

if working fans don't come on with the A/C turned on you may have a freon leak. the A/C lines have sensors that won't allow the fans and compressor to run unless you have enough freon in the lines but you will still have fan function when the engine reaches a certain temperature..
Old 10-07-2020, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by uptownsamcv

if working fans don't come on with the A/C turned on you may have a freon leak. the A/C lines have sensors that won't allow the fans and compressor to run unless you have enough freon in the lines but you will still have fan function when the engine reaches a certain temperature..
+1. Was gonna say the same thing.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by uptownsamcv
when it comes to fan it's best to get new motors, the last thing you want is to overheat and blow a head gasket.

thank you so much I will look into that!!