5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Blowby on 1 side (weird) ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 04:02 PM

Excessive Blowby on 1 side (weird) ???

Hey Buds,

I got a weird issue...
03 Nissan Maxima, 3.5 v6 (VQ motor), 160k miles (perfect maintenance)

RECENT ISSUES
  • Car Was overheating so i tried Engine Block Treatment (bad idea---car still overheated)
  • NEXT i Had heads shaved, changed water pump, timing chain, radiator, all gaskets.
  • PUT everything back together, but now have i've got BAD BLOWBY on 'one side of the motor' (evidenced by oil coming up through spark plug cylinders in FRONT HEAD ONLY).
  • Did compression test
  • Rear Cylinders; 1,3,5 === 135,128,130
  • Front Cylinders; 2,4,6 === 60,0,60
  • Leak down on cylinder 4 was 80%
SUSPECTED ISSUE: Oil not circulating caused by Engine Block treatment. I CAN'T figure out WHY no blowby on Back Cylinders?
  • * ANYONE have ANY ideas on what this could be?
  • * Causing BLOWBY only 1 side of motor?
Thanks for reading and your constructive input....

Last edited by Balkins; 05-24-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:10 AM

Here's a Video demonstrating Excess Blowby~

PRIOR to headjob, this was not an issue!
Link

?

Old 06-05-2021, 10:19 AM

I think you should have first found out what was causing you to overhead, and stop driving the car until you did.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
I think you should have first found out what was causing you to overhead, and stop driving the car until you did.
That's it...that's your idea?
LOL..~

'Thank you for your service' ~

Last edited by Balkins; 06-05-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:28 AM

Sounds like a blown head gasket! Perform a leakdown test next to determine where the leak is! The rings, the block, the intake or exhaust valves! You sure you didn't bend the valves prior to assembly or during assembly? Just so you know blow-by is when compression goes past the rings into the crankcase flooding your PCV system with oil vapor and oil! What you have is low to NO compression! Double check your reading! Hopefully your off! Make sure you open the throttle fully if it's installed! GL
Old 06-10-2021, 05:24 PM

I agree, thats an excess of crankcase pressure. Install the Cap, and see if the coolant Hoses start to get tight..You Could Simply have a loose head bolt near and Oil Hole but I'de doubt that. Ide suspect it may be cheaper and less time consuming to just buy another running 3.5 and Roll On. It needs to be taken back down and Inspected for the failure. A pintched headgasket Gasket somplace near a Oil Return hole If you want to flush the Oil system however, you'll need to remove the lower oil pan and the timing tensioner. Apply shop air into the tensioner hole untill you hear nothing but air. Oil Not circulating would not be the cause of 0 Compression. Seperate issue.

That engine sounds as if you have more than 1 running issue also, out of time with a dead cylinder. How long did you have the heads off while doing this job. Carbon does Dry around rings, makes them stick when left outside for a length of time. When you had the heads off, did you inspect the cylinder walls of the block.? How hot did the car get? Ide assume mutiple hott cycles, typically on these engines the cylinder walls become egg shaped. Remove the plugs on that head and inspect inside the cylinder with a borescope. you'll see damage to both sides of the wall as if it was rubbed with 40grit sandpaper.

Another way potentially is that when headgaskets fail, it causes a coolant and oil mix people fail the understand that, that changes the oil's viscosity over time and mixed enough, Unbeknownst to the driver, the internals get a Shiny new Self polish over time. The old Crosshatch Delete. There could be an issue with the head or valvetrain aswell, However that wouldn't be the cause of the pressure. You Said you did a leak down test....So where is the Air going..?? The leak down test is Dual purpose, it's not only to show you drop, But also allow you to Audibly locate the leak, which should Indicate in which direction you need to go...

And dont forget your angle grinder by the intake. I really hope You didnt Clean the Block with it and that Brown wheel ... Scotch Bright Red pads only or Yellow Plastic finger Rolox's work Wonders.. 3M Brown Rolox's are for steel mainly.. Your dealing with an 80% aluminum engine. Toss it.

Last edited by Reality sucks; 06-10-2021 at 07:32 PM.