5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Getting Tinted This Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 11:18 AM

Getting Tinted This Weekend

I made the appointment to get my windows tinted this upcoming weekend. I have a Black Exterior/Black Interior Maxima. I want there to be little or no visibilty into the car during the day/night, but I don't want to make it too dark that i'll always get harassed by the cops. I had 15% tint on my White/Beigh 3rd Gen. and that was fairly dark during both the day/night and I never had any problems. But since my new car is Black/Black, would you guys suggest me getting the same 15% tint, a darker shade or a lighter shade, since the interior is already dark in color. Oh yeah BTW, I'm not getting that mirror tint crap, so please don't suggest that I get it
Old 02-07-2002, 11:20 AM

Re: Getting Tinted This Weekend

Originally posted by krazyd
Oh yeah BTW, I'm not getting that mirror tint crap, so please don't suggest that I get it
You know you want it.

Suggestion: go with whatever the law allows...that's always the safest bet.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:25 PM

Screw the Law your Maxima is the LAW. I have limo tint and my enterior is brown its prety hard to see inside. If you have dark enterior its going to look even better.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:35 PM

I have black int and black ext. I have 20% all the way around. Looks awesome. Also, I didn't get the tint all the way to the top of the back window. I would recomend the same
Old 02-07-2002, 03:01 PM

I made the appointment to get my windows tinted this upcoming weekend. I have a Black Exterior/Black Interior Maxima. I want there to be little or no visibilty into the car during the day/night, but I don't want to make it too dark that i'll always get harassed by the cops. I had 15% tint on my White/Beigh 3rd Gen. and that was fairly dark during both the day/night and I never had any problems. But since my new car is Black/Black, would you guys suggest me getting the same 15% tint, a darker shade or a lighter shade, since the interior is already dark in color. Oh yeah BTW, I'm not getting that mirror tint crap, so please don't suggest that I get it
so how much will the tint be? i'm looking to tint my windows real soon...
Old 02-07-2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by maximaman14
I have black int and black ext. I have 20% all the way around. Looks awesome. Also, I didn't get the tint all the way to the top of the back window. I would recomend the same
what's the problem with tinting the top-part of the rear window? i noticed that it has like a re-defroster setup, but won't it look retarted if the whole window is tinted except for the top part of it?
Old 02-07-2002, 04:43 PM

what's the problem with tinting the top-part of the rear window? i noticed that it has like a re-defroster setup, but won't it look retarted if the whole window is tinted except for the top part of it?
Nope you can't even tell that the top part is'nt tinted. I have 20% on My Maj. Blue/w Charcoal leather and it look great. That is as dark as you need to go w'charcoal interior anything darker would look limo-like.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:08 PM

I agree it looks good when you don't put it to the top. The place where I got it tinted wouldn't warrenty it if I wanted him to put the tint to the top of the window. I have seen cars with tons of air bubbles at the top because the top is 'mesh like' and the tint doesn't stick correctly.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:16 PM

If the tint guy spends the time to do it right, tinting the top of the window can look good. Make sure you tell them not to trim excess tint on the rear glass. My radio antenna was cut due to this and I had to get the rear glass replaced (Fortunately on warranty). Remember, a dark interior makes the tint look even darker, so you may get stopped regardless of the tint being the legal limit or not.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:46 PM

i still think that it may look silly if the top of the back window isn't tinted all the way...
Old 02-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Getting Tinted This Weekend

Originally posted by drudawg888

so how much will the tint be? i'm looking to tint my windows real soon...
I got 5 of my windows tinted for $175. I might have to agree with those saying not to tint all the way to the top of the rear window. Unfortunately, I did not know of this idea earlier. I had mine go all the way up, and I'm not all that happy about the way that the top came out. It's not all bubbly, it's just not as clean looking as the rest of the window (kinda hazy). Just my .02
Old 02-08-2002, 06:01 AM

Don't tint the top! Looks good without it...
K
Old 02-09-2002, 07:09 AM

If I don't get the top part of the rear window tinted can I always go back and ask them to put it on afterwards, or would they need to do the whole window over again? Also why should they NOT cut off the excess trim; won't that look stupid if it's just hanging off the window?
Old 02-09-2002, 08:41 AM

If I don't get the top part of the rear window tinted can I always go back and ask them to put it on afterwards, or would they need to do the whole window over again? Also why should they NOT cut off the excess trim; won't that look stupid if it's just hanging off the window?
You would have to get the whole window tinted over again and it is going to cost you a lot more. I had my 2000 altima tinted before I got my spoiler put on and after I got the spoiler I took out the rear window brake light and they had to remove my tint and retint the window to cover the untint spot where the brake light was.

Save yourself the hassle and just dont tint the top part. The dots blend in good without being tinted.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:04 AM

so what's the story with those bumps on the top rear window? that's supposed to be the antenna for the car, or part of the re-defroster?
Old 02-09-2002, 10:36 AM

so what's the story with those bumps on the top rear window? that's supposed to be the antenna for the car, or part of the re-defroster?
Not shure but I'm pretty sure it's one or the other. I have 20% tint on my max and it blend in with the tint just fine. No need to get that tinted you may regret it later on.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:43 AM

i got the top part of the rear window tinted, and it hasn't bubbled or hazed, but if you look from the outside, you can spots where the tint hasn't settled, i think because the bumps are so close together that the tint can't bond to the window that well. it looks good from a few feet away, you can't tell, just when you come up close. i just hope that it doesn't bubble or peel off or anything like that.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by slick
i got the top part of the rear window tinted, and it hasn't bubbled or hazed, but if you look from the outside, you can spots where the tint hasn't settled, i think because the bumps are so close together that the tint can't bond to the window that well. it looks good from a few feet away, you can't tell, just when you come up close. i just hope that it doesn't bubble or peel off or anything like that.
So if you had it do over again would you have gotten the top portion of the window tinted?
Old 02-09-2002, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by perrymaxima

So if you had it do over again would you have gotten the top portion of the window tinted?
right now i would say yes, it isn't that noticable and i too would also think it would look kinda wierd tinting half the window, i also dont notice any problems in the radio reception. however, i said that it hasn't settled properly in some areas, and that might be a problem in the future, its something to consider. but right now, i would do the whole window.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:41 PM
Lightly modded

i got the top of back window tinted (mirror!!), and it looks fine. i would go with about a 20% tint, i have 35%, and my friend has 20%, and it looks better than my light tint (fades from mirror to black)
Old 02-10-2002, 09:31 AM

The bumps are just a shade for the back deck area. The problem with trimming the excess tint on the rear glass is the possibility of cutting the radio antenna and the rear defroster coils. The back tint should be one piece that is pre-fit for the car and shouldn't require on-glass trimming. At least this is my understanding having talked to other people with tint jobs. Ask your tinter about how they do it before getting it done.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:51 AM

SO AM I TINTING THE WHOLE REAR WINDOW OR JUST THE BOTTOM PORTION! GIVE ME A STRAIGHT ANSWER!!!
Old 02-10-2002, 11:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SO AM I TINTING THE WHOLE REAR WINDOW OR JUST THE BOTTOM PORTION! GIVE ME A STRAIGHT ANSWER!!!
\

You have heard all of the pro's and con's from everyone. Based on all of the experiences you have read, I think that you should make your decision. If you just ask for a straght answer, you will end up getting both. Some people are happy with getting the whole thing done. While others are happy with not doing the top. You just have to decide what you think you will like the best.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:09 PM

this has been said you will get both as strait answers but I say just Don't tint over the Dots you won't regret it later. I just saw someones car at the mall and if you tint over the dots the tint seems darker at the top instead of being one clean color plus there tint didn't cure right over the dots either...
Old 02-10-2002, 03:31 PM

IMO tinting the top bubble area gives the whole rear window a more uniform appearance. If you decide to do this, make sure the tint dude takes the time to get the tint to adhere in between the dots. My tinter did not do this consistently which made it not so good looking. Since I had to get the rear glass replaced, I will make sure they do it when I get the rear tinted again prior to summer.