5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stalling Probs, Check engine, 5spd owners please reply!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 06:18 AM

Stalling Probs, Check engine, 5spd owners please reply!!

I washed my car on Saturday, and make sure to wash underneath very good to get the salt off. I took it for a drive, and after a few miles I noticed the Check Engine light on. There was no noticable problem. I took it home and disconnected the battery to reset the computer. I drove it 4 miles yesterday and no problems. Today on my way to work, it stalled almost every time I put the clutch in with the rpms above 1500 or so. The times it did not stall, the rpms would drop to about 200-300 and stumble and catch itself. If I put the clutch in below 1500 it would settle into its idle of about 600 or so.

Anyone have any ideas about this? I am thinking I will make a service appt this week, but I have a homemade oscai and I removed the screen near the Mass Air sensor. I took out the air filter to see if it was wet, but there did not seem to be any water in the air box.

Is there anyway to buy one of those screens just in case I take it to the dealer?

Thanks
Ray Nist
Old 02-11-2002, 06:22 AM

Make an appt to get it checked out I guess. I would think that if there was water somewhere in the intake you would have noticed it sooner.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:16 AM

Cover your tracks as well as you can. Contact DaveB about that MAF screen, or at least make it look like it was never there. "They must have left it out at the factory."

New MAF = $500.

If they think you messed with it, those lovely Nissan service techs will just assume that’s the problem and stick it to you.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:59 AM

Who is Daveb? How do I get in touch with him?

Thanks
Ray
Old 02-11-2002, 10:21 AM

Dave Burnette
He’s the man to talk to if you need OEM parts. Discounted prices, fast shipping, great guy. He’s here on the org: username DaveB. Someone might have his #, but I don’t. I’d PM him.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a similar problem that I hope to get checked out this week.

After full throttle acceleration, if I clutch and take it out of gear it will stall frequently. I've heard of others having this problem too. My problem doesn't seem to be as bad as yours, but it can happen at any time.

I've also got power loss from about 5800-redline that may or may not be related.

Post back and let me know what they tell you.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Max_Gator
I have a similar problem that I hope to get checked out this week.

After full throttle acceleration, if I clutch and take it out of gear it will stall frequently. I've heard of others having this problem too. My problem doesn't seem to be as bad as yours, but it can happen at any time.

I've also got power loss from about 5800-redline that may or may not be related.

Post back and let me know what they tell you.
Did you get the tsb done that remaps your ecu? Dave Burnette told me to have this done and see if it corrects the problem.

--Ray
Old 02-11-2002, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by raynist

Did you get the tsb done that remaps your ecu? Dave Burnette told me to have this done and see if it corrects the problem.

--Ray
No not yet.

I didn't get it done earlier because I didn't know what would end up happening (i.e. lose power) and I didn't want to take off my mods.

Hopefully that will do the trick.
Old 02-11-2002, 02:05 PM

update

I looked at the engine at lunch, and noticed that the fitting that connects to the air box (that slides over it) was off, and it was bypassing the first sensor. I hooked it back up, and now it will not stall, however, the idle will come down to about 400 rpms and stumble a bit after holding in the clutch after the rpms are above 2k or so. I disconnected the battery at this time also to reset the ecu. I am going to call to scedule the Fuel Cut TSB as soon as I can.

--Ray
Old 02-12-2002, 06:16 AM

another update

It looks like disconnecting the battery at lunch fixed the problem. I have driven 40 miles since and it has not done it again.

--Ray
Old 02-12-2002, 06:17 AM

Re: another update

It looks like disconnecting the battery at lunch fixed the problem. I have driven 40 miles since and it has not done it again.

--Ray
I've tried that and it doesn't work for me. I'll let you know what the shop finds.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:33 AM

I also have the same problem and I was going to take to the dealer to get the ecu remaped.Does this have to be done under warranty ?
Old 02-12-2002, 07:47 AM

I never had this problem until after installing my JWT intake. Maybe I have an air leak somewhere? any clue's? It'll do it if I accelerate, then brake really hard.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Keh mon
I never had this problem until after installing my JWT intake. Maybe I have an air leak somewhere? any clue's? It'll do it if I accelerate, then brake really hard.
That's exactly how I first diagnosed my stalling problem. I've now figured out that it will stall if I nail it in 3rd and then take it out of gear while holding in the clutch. Doesn't always happen but does sometimes. I've had it stall under other circumstances as well.

It continued to happen after I took off my intake. Probably some type of vacuum issue.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:58 AM

I can cause mine to reliably stall if I'm cruising at 80 then push in the clutch and hold it in. Had the coil replaced recently and that helped. I think the main culprit is the gasket between the intake resonator and my JWT pop charger. #1 it's not in a straight line as the engine mounts allow a bit too much movement in the engine bay. So I imagine the intake path is a little messed up so the MAF isn'tgetting a clear reading. I'm hoping the Franken car intake tube helps this. If not I'll probably just live with it.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Yoritomo
I can cause mine to reliably stall if I'm cruising at 80 then push in the clutch and hold it in. Had the coil replaced recently and that helped. I think the main culprit is the gasket between the intake resonator and my JWT pop charger. #1 it's not in a straight line as the engine mounts allow a bit too much movement in the engine bay. So I imagine the intake path is a little messed up so the MAF isn'tgetting a clear reading. I'm hoping the Franken car intake tube helps this. If not I'll probably just live with it.
That is exactly the same problem I have been having. I'll bet that when you don't stall, the rpms stumble and then recover.

My car is in the shop for this right now.

I'd bet that it is more than the gasket - after I took my intake off and returned to stock, I was still able to get the car to stall in the same manner.

Out of curiosity, have you had the TSB on the ECU done?

I also have a very severe power loss problem past 5000 rpms.

I'll let you know what I find.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:11 AM

That is exactly the same problem I have been having. I'll bet that when you don't stall, the rpms stumble and then recover.

My car is in the shop for this right now.

I'd bet that it is more than the gasket - after I took my intake off and returned to stock, I was still able to get the car to stall in the same manner.

Out of curiosity, have you had the TSB on the ECU done?

I also have a very severe power loss problem past 5000 rpms.

I'll let you know what I find.
Not sure about Yoritomo, but the only TSB I've had done was the rotors. I don't seem to feel a severe power loss after 5000rpms. Maybe I'll check out my intake tubing more closely and look for leaks, etc. Hopefully it's nothing big.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:55 AM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Re: Stalling Probs, Check engine, 5spd owners please reply!!

I washed my car on Saturday, and make sure to wash underneath very good to get the salt off. I took it for a drive, and after a few miles I noticed the Check Engine light on. There was no noticable problem. I took it home and disconnected the battery to reset the computer. I drove it 4 miles yesterday and no problems. Today on my way to work, it stalled almost every time I put the clutch in with the rpms above 1500 or so. The times it did not stall, the rpms would drop to about 200-300 and stumble and catch itself. If I put the clutch in below 1500 it would settle into its idle of about 600 or so.

Anyone have any ideas about this? I am thinking I will make a service appt this week, but I have a homemade oscai and I removed the screen near the Mass Air sensor. I took out the air filter to see if it was wet, but there did not seem to be any water in the air box.

Is there anyway to buy one of those screens just in case I take it to the dealer?

Thanks
Ray Nist
I had this problem some months ago. Took it to the dealer and insisted that the fuel cut TSB (ECU reprogram) be done. As luck would have it, problem was gone after the ECU was reprogrammed. So, in summary, definitely add the TSB to the list of things to try.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:11 PM

Re: Re: Stalling Probs, Check engine, 5spd owners please reply!!

Originally posted by 2K2DEMAX

I had this problem some months ago. Took it to the dealer and insisted that the fuel cut TSB (ECU reprogram) be done. As luck would have it, problem was gone after the ECU was reprogrammed. So, in summary, definitely add the TSB to the list of things to try.
Listen to this guy - he knows what he's talking about!!

(Wish I had listened sooner!)
Old 02-14-2002, 01:44 PM

I THINK ITS THE SAME THING...

YESTERDAY WHEN I FLOORED IT IN 3RD THEN TO 4TH MY CAR TURNED OFF AND NOW THE CAR WONT FUNCTION CORRECTLY. I CANT PASS 2000 RPMS AND IF I STEP ON TEH GAS HARD IT WILL STUDDER OR TURN OFF.(ESOECIALLY IN 3RD) WHEN EVER I STEPP ON THE GAS IT SEEMS LIKE ITS SUCKIN IN NO AIR OR HAVING TROUBLE FROM THE INTAKE. IM BRINGIN THE CAR TO THE DEALER TOMARROW...WE'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS
Old 02-14-2002, 04:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Stalling Probs, Check engine, 5spd owners please reply!!

Listen to this guy - he knows what he's talking about!!

(Wish I had listened sooner!)
Will that TSB still be honored even if the vehicle is past warranty? I hope so. I have to find a nissan dealership around that's willing to do it. To reply to others. I just had coil 5 replaced. Cars powerful as ever over 5000 rpm. The wheels break loose every time where as before they didn't quite break at torque peak in first. It could be my additional 100 pounds of stereo equipment in the trunk but who knows. Cars fine, needs an oil change but still stalls.