5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ValveBody swap for 5th Gens COMING SOON

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 10:23 AM
RBa

After april, If anyone in the NYC needs help installing their VB, Let me know.. I'll help you out for no cost..
You must supply your own ATF and drain pan...
Old 03-01-2002, 10:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

this might be a stupid question, but does Don give people warranty? because what if something failed? Nissan probably will void our warranty b/c something was done (modified) to the tranny. or what if Don (hypothetically) did do a good job and it doesn't work and needs to be replace or something?
Old 03-01-2002, 10:33 AM

I'll try to let Don speak for himself, but Don's a stand-up guy and in the rare case of something happening I'm pretty sure he'd take care of it.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by tapwr3000
this might be a stupid question, but does Don give people warranty? because what if something failed? Nissan probably will void our warranty b/c something was done (modified) to the tranny. or what if Don (hypothetically) did do a good job and it doesn't work and needs to be replace or something?
I would contact Don if the below doesn't satisfy your questions.

Here is Don's web quote on the subject:
"... We can only guarantee the Valvebody itself, and will work with you on any installation issues you may have. We have, on occasion, made concessions to individuals regarding installation issues on the Valvebody modification. These are rare conditions and will be dealt with on an individual basis."

Here is my 2 cents, based on feedback from other .org members, and my experience, thus far:

1) He has typically been an up-standing supporter of the Max community. He has worked w/ a few of our more modded brothers, leaving them w/ nothing but good things to say.

2) Also, part of the benefit of the swap is that you still have your OEM VB, while your installing the mod VB. So, if something was wrong you could pop the OEM right back in, and experience no extra down time.

3) Nissan can't void your whole warantee, there has been a law passed about that. Plus, I would imagine if you discovered other tranny or car problems, they wouldn't take your VB apart, and wouldn't know it had been modded. So, I think its fairly safe.

4) But, if you have future VB problems warantee would not cover it-but then again since the whole thing was only $450 modded, it can't cost much to fix parts of it.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Stikya

Everything I've read says it makes it run cooler, because there is less prolonged tranny friction during shifts. The prolonged friction is caused by the slow shift into gears, which is how the OEM creates a smoother, slower shift.
The way I understand it, you have it backwards.

VB mod means you hit the tranny harder = more friction = quicker shifts!= hotter fluid

stock VB = ease on shifts = slow shifts = less friction = cooler fluid

I guess Don can clear this up.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by theMax

The way I understand it, you have it backwards.

VB mod means you hit the tranny harder = more friction = quicker shifts!= hotter fluid

stock VB = ease on shifts = slow shifts = less friction = cooler fluid

I guess Don can clear this up.
Granted, Level 10 is a bit pricey and hasn't been able to accomodate value oriented .org memebers; but do have quite a rep. in the tranny industry. Here's a link to thier site, which shows what they say about the subject...

http://www.levelten.com/store/import...ssan_hydro.htm
Old 03-01-2002, 03:44 PM

Don VB or Level 10 ?

Thanks for the links, so if I understand well, there is 2 companies that make their own version of VB Calibration, the one Don propose is cheaper but better be used in conjunction with tranny cooler and the Level 10 doesn't require a tranny cooler, but is more expensive. That would be cool to get some words about it from some guys who already made the mods, I mean one by Don and the other one by Level 10.

Cheers

AA
Old 03-02-2002, 12:08 AM

Instructions to install VB mod?

Does anyone have a writeup or PDF on the skills needed to DO this mod?

I want to do it for my automagic... BUT want to do it myself.. asking someone to do it is out of the question becasue im in hawaii, and all of yall is in the mainland... damn this ocean
Old 03-02-2002, 12:41 AM
RBa

Re: Instructions to install VB mod?

Originally posted by genix

I want to do it for my automagic... BUT want to do it myself.. asking someone to do it is out of the question becasue im in hawaii, and all of yall is in the mainland... damn this ocean
Check out Don's homepage... Forgot the URL... It was www.mobiltekracing.com or something...
Old 03-02-2002, 12:46 AM

Re: Instructions to install VB mod?

Originally posted by genix

here's a link with a writeup:

http://www.mobiletek.net/vbinstruct.html
Old 03-02-2002, 11:44 AM

Don, you should teach someone the vb mod in NY and have em do it for us 5th genners in NY. then there'll be like no down time at all, no shipping costs or anything to worry about and everyones happy. ill be more than happy to dish out some money for this, but just the thought of having to ship out some engine componenets on a 2000 max and everything..thas all.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by Raf2kMax
Don, you should teach someone the vb mod in NY and have em do it for us 5th genners in NY. then there'll be like no down time at all, no shipping costs or anything to worry about and everyones happy. ill be more than happy to dish out some money for this, but just the thought of having to ship out some engine componenets on a 2000 max and everything..thas all.
I don't understand your post. That's the point of this whole SWAP deal that I've helped Don set up. He sends you the mod VB first, you install it, and then take yours out. And ship your old one back to him.

The only down time is the couple of hours to install his, and take yours out. You since don't have to ship your VB off until the mod VB is already in, you can even reuse his shipping package.

(Really, the only convenience you would gain, by having a local do it, is the $20 you'd save not having to mail your VB back. But, how how big of deal is that really?)
Old 03-04-2002, 07:10 AM

Re: Don VB or Level 10 ?

Originally posted by doublea
Thanks for the links, so if I understand well, there is 2 companies that make their own version of VB Calibration, the one Don propose is cheaper but better be used in conjunction with tranny cooler and the Level 10 doesn't require a tranny cooler, but is more expensive. That would be cool to get some words about it from some guys who already made the mods, I mean one by Don and the other one by Level 10.

Cheers

AA
Don has not said that his VB mod makes the tranny run hotter. That was stated by "TheMax". If you're interested in Don's upgrade I would pose that question to Don.

And there are 2 additional benefits to Don's (Mobiletek.net) upgrade, beside cost savings:

1) He will do a VB SWAP and save you the down time of shipping off your VB for modding-meaning your car will only be down for a few hours. Level 10 does not offer this-you will be down 1 week.

2) You also have the benefit of other org members feedback who have used Don's VB upgrade, and had very positive results: http://www.mobiletek.net/vb.html#test. Level 10 has not traditionally been good about helping out the Maxima community, as a fellow member, Don has.

Obviously the choice is yours, just look around, a lot of info on this thread and others. Then make your decision.
Old 03-04-2002, 07:25 AM

Re: Re: Don VB or Level 10 ?

Obviously the choice is yours, just look around, a lot of info on this thread and others. Then make your decision.
Hey Stikya, thanks for your input, that's what I was looking for, I have been reading all the post about VB since last year. I believe I will go with DON's VB, I cant be one week down, everyone who I exhange info about it, were just happy about this mods. For me it is going to be the next mods on my list, but prolly not before a month or two.

Cheers

AA
Old 03-04-2002, 08:36 AM

We do not "require" the use of an additional tranny cooler, but recommend one. Any upgrade on a tranny that increases fluid pressure, will also increase heat (ours or anyone else). Noone will ever tell you to "not install a cooler". You will always want to use your OEM cooler (thru the tanks), to keep the tranny cool during stop/go traffic and idling.

On the average, the OEM tranny (completely stock) will run about 176 degrees under normal operating temps (varies with weather, traffic, etc). After the VB upgrade, you might see an increase of 13-16 degrees, but thats about it. Driving down the road, I doubt it would get near that unless you were hard on your tranny. An additional external cooler will reduce temps up to 75-80 degrees, so now your running cooler than ever before. Its just cheap insurance, as as long as you're getting dirty, whats the difference?

We recommend a tranny cooler because heat is the worst enemy of any tranny (whether you modify your tranny or not). Most tranny coolers will reduce fluid temps by as much as 75 degrees (driving of course). It won't do any good when you are sitting in traffic, thats why the OEM fluid lines run thru the Radiator tank (if you can believe that).

I've always used tranny coolers. I pull my car/trailer (4900 lbs total) with my 2001 Chevy 2500HD all over and even at 85mph for 150 miles, I never see 190 degrees.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by Don in Texas
We do not "require" the use of an additional tranny cooler, but recommend one. Any upgrade on a tranny that increases fluid pressure, will also increase heat (ours or anyone else)...
Thank you, Don, for the expert opinion. I guess we can finally put this debate to rest!
Old 03-04-2002, 09:15 AM

We recommend a tranny cooler because heat is the worst enemy of any tranny (whether you modify your tranny or not). Most tranny coolers will reduce fluid temps by as much as 75 degrees (driving of course). It won't do any good when you are sitting in traffic, thats why the OEM fluid lines run thru the Radiator tank (if you can believe that).

I've always used tranny coolers. I pull my car/trailer (4900 lbs total) with my 2001 Chevy 2500HD all over and even at 85mph for 150 miles, I never see 190 degrees.
Thank you Don, things are clear now, I will hopefully buy it very very soon along with a tranny cooler, hopefully you'll get mail from me as soon as the cigar box is full....

Cheers

AA
Old 03-04-2002, 09:31 AM

this sounds great. everythings done for 450?? i dont trust myself though..would you recommend me going down to any good tranny shop in NY to get it installed? did you guys already start this?? and is there a limited number of people you can have??
thanks for all your help guys. level 10 is kinda steep at $700 for the same upgrade.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Raf2kMax
this sounds great. everythings done for 450?? i dont trust myself though..would you recommend me going down to any good tranny shop in NY to get it installed? did you guys already start this?? and is there a limited number of people you can have??
thanks for all your help guys. level 10 is kinda steep at $700 for the same upgrade.
Yes! Get a recommendation from a friend, or a trusted mechanic you already use. Any decent tranny shop could do this upgrade (and the tranny cooler) in about 2 hours (<$150).

The program is ongoing, and unlimited for as long as Don wants to keep doing the mod. But, there is the obvious wait time of Don doing each swap, and then the mod; so it's first come first serve. I'd e-mail Don, to get in line.

I'm in line for the 1st one. I can't wait for mine!
Old 03-04-2002, 12:25 PM

Don has not said that his VB mod makes the tranny run hotter. That was stated by "TheMax". If you're interested in Don's upgrade I would pose that question to Don.

Any upgrade on a tranny that increases fluid pressure, will also increase heat (ours or anyone else).
I knew Don mentioned that before. I agree it is confusing because on Don's and Level 10s web page it says the tranny will run cooler with the mod?

If you are doing this yourself my vote is for Dons mod because he specializes in Mamimas. If you live near L10 and don't want to get your hands dirty, have them do it. Both seem to be of equal quality.

, Now where to scrounge up the $$$ for the VB...
Old 03-04-2002, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by theMax

, Now where to scrounge up the $$$ for the VB...
Tax return! I love deductions.
I've got $3,500 coming back; I'm doing the VB, torque converter, tranny cooler, and a F&RSB.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:35 PM

Im interested in a VB mod. When are you going to start this deal?
Old 03-05-2002, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by Burton069
Im interested in a VB mod. When are you going to start this deal?
It's already going.

E-mail Don at Mobiletek (dgcoop@houston.rr.com), to get in line for the swap, or to get more info.