5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 10:18 AM

I guess I make the "old fart" list but maybe not the title. I'm 58 and I enjoy modding my Max (nothing radical). I don't street race, but enjoy being able to get into traffic from on ramps and pass on the freeway. I might also go to PIR this summer to get some 1/4 mile times - not necessarily to beat anyone, but for my own satisfaction (satisfy the young person in me). Mods (or not) are totally a personal thing. My reason for doing it is to make my Max different (and better than stock) than the other Max's. My wife enjoys the mods, too. I get a kick out of the grand kids wanting to ride in grampa's "cool" car. This has been an interesting discussion - very informative for me. This forum has been a tremendous source of information for me about the Maxima and I appreciate everyone's participation.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:07 AM
Jet

I used to have a 91 mustang lx 5. with a ton of mods to it. It was great until the car was totaled. I lost all the money I put into it, that's when moding cars turned me off. I now rather spend that money else where like on my sea.doo wave runner, and going on vacation.

I can still do 110 if I want, it just may take me an extra second to get there, big deal.

Just my 2 cents.

Jet

Old 02-28-2002, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

Originally posted by MichaelAE

For the purposes of this board, "old fart" is defined as someone who remembers that Germany used to be two countries, still doesn't quite understand what the Russian Federation is, and remembers that the Ford Mustang used to be a fast car.

If you remember that Germany used to be one country, then it became two countries, and now is back to one country...then you win the "old fart" title.
This thread was going so well until I found out I was a 27 yr "old fart". Ugh. Happy modding or not modding everyone.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love my Max, and want some more power, better looks and handling (springs and 18" wheels) for it, but my real mod money will go towards my FFR Cobra (www.factoryfive.com). The reason we all mod comes down to two things: better performance, better looks.

I applaud everyone, regardless of age and car, that modifies what they drive. It comes down to a love for your ride and self-respect. Sure, I'll laugh at a guy's NEON underbody kit, or I'll blow away an Eclipse with a F&F-programmed driver, but in the end I am glad to see people displaying an individual flavor with their vehicles.

Maximas rock, stock or otherwise!
Old 02-28-2002, 08:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

Originally posted by DenMax
This thread was going so well until I found out I was a 27 yr "old fart". Ugh. Happy modding or not modding everyone.
Sorry 'bout that my man. If you feel really bad, you could just create a "transitional" category and put all 27-year olds in it.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Sorry 'bout that my man. If you feel really bad, you could just create a "transitional" category and put all 27-year olds in it.
Gotta get old sometime. It's just a state of mind anyway!!
Old 02-28-2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Ludacris

Buahah, indeed.

Once you get one mod, you'll see the improvement and want even more. And no one can get enough of a good thing so you're better off not starting hehe.

Oh and there are plenty of GXE/GLE owners..
I own a 2k Maxima and when i first drove the car i knew it was a serious car, but then you learn that you can improve in little areas and you go for it... its just like gettin a hair cut and dressing nicely and gettin the right shoes/sneakers yah know
Old 02-28-2002, 11:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's the deal with this "mods" stuff anyway?

Originally posted by DenMax

Gotta get old sometime. It's just a state of mind anyway!!
True enough. Like the other saying goes:
Age is just a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

I'm 28 and engaged, and just bought a house. I've still managed to mod my Max a bit (FSTB, moonroof, clear sidemarkers), but my fiancee' knows that I will forever spend some money on my Monte SS...the true project in my family. When we met, the car was off the road, and I was in the process of putting a new motor in it. She thought it was cool as hell, and even cooler once it was finished and I tought her how to do a burnout!
Old 02-28-2002, 02:01 PM

welll

i have many mods because i have the money for them....i also like to show off my car and be different from others.....i have like the tightest car at my high school....and its fun to do things to your car......

"once u start you can't stop!"
Old 02-28-2002, 03:12 PM

I agree with the general group here. To each his own. I have the bug big time, but I do my best to controll it. I am 29 w/ 2 kids and dont have a mortgage. I will soon though. I moded the intake just so I did something, something that made it "mine". I want to do a whole lot more, but I cant right now. Heck I just put a deposit on a $8k ring (gulp).

I also love this site because of the general knowledge that goes around, it is a community for gearheads on any level.

By the way, 110 in traffic? Damn dood. I am actually pretty old feeling lately, I get over 70 and feel the heat. I guess that is where responsibility comes into play. Anyhoo, take care all, happy modding.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:27 PM

Re: "Old Farts" and Mods

Originally posted by vizslak7
Frankly, I do those for self - entertainment; I don't race, but, I like the ability to extricate myself from disadvantagious situations.
That sir has got to be the under-statement of the year and yes am loving it.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I got up to 110 on 270 today following a Volvo 850

Anyways, I think modding is cool. If that's you then go for it. There are some awesome cars here and I'm sure you'll find a lot of inspiration and helpful information.

If modding is not you then that's cool too. The Maxima is already an awesome car to begin with and this is a great place to get information about it and to just chill and talk about cars.

I'm not much into modding, but I'm still a motorhead and love talking about cars so that's why I like this place. The only performance "mod" I need is a 5spd. I don't need to mod because my car is already plenty fast (for me)
Old 03-01-2002, 12:31 AM

I mod because I'm never going to be able to buy a car like mine. It's just the way I like it. Think about it this way, when you buy a car, you choose your options, color, etc. Modifying a car is just an extension of that to get the car the way you want it. Some people like really fast cars, some like pretty cars. To me, my car is everything I look for in a car.
- The car is incredibly fast.
- It draws attention like no other.

I'm only 22, so maybe my age colors my decision making a little. If I had a mortgage, my car probably wouln't have $25+K in work done to it. Then again, this is what I do for a living, so I guess it's justified.