5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

yay, bad 2-3 slip!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 08:23 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

yay, bad 2-3 slip!

well.. I never thought I'd welcome the day the "slip" came to stay. When I got the TCM, it was because of the delay, no rise in RPM really, so no slip yet.

A year later the slip is here. Strangely its between 2-3 and not 1-2 like most people. I dont know what that means. Maybe solenoids? (they werent done at the time TCM was)

So, I have been having intermittant slip for the last year. Only when I really needed to merge. Only when it was *really* dangerous for the car not to go, it would slip. Never on a test ride Well, now it's VERY reproducable. In one way, I'm really upset about it, but at least I can get this thing fixed (or at least show them) before this car leaves me in traffic and gets me killed.

heck, even let out a little squeal today. Maybe it will do that for the service writer. You know, for the extra drama.

Ugh. I dread this service trip tho. I can already hear it "A maxima with a slipping transmission? nah! we ain't see anything like it"

Yeah... right....
Old 02-26-2002, 08:41 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I believe the second TSB fixed the 1-2 slip with the solenoid and the 2-3 slip was fixed with the TCM.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:08 PM
Kal

hey Tim sorry to hear bout your troubles. Which dealer are you going to take it into. I wanna see what it feels like so i have an idea, maybe i can meet up with u during your lunch time, or somethin if u dont mind.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:31 AM

going right now..

while its doing it.. as it may stop when it warms up (*may stop*). ummmm, you cant miss this slip. its bad and will snap your neck when it finds the gear. but yes, if they dont keep the car, we can hook up at lunch. It will amuse you at the very least.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:08 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: going right now..

Originally posted by TimW
while its doing it.. as it may stop when it warms up (*may stop*). ummmm, you cant miss this slip. its bad and will snap your neck when it finds the gear. but yes, if they dont keep the car, we can hook up at lunch. It will amuse you at the very least.
Next to Minima, Tim's description of his car is accurate: 2000.2 BETA......

I'm sorta sorry, Tim, but am happy that the dealer will be forced to actually DO some warranty work.....

Either that, or you'll have one helluva story to tell....
Old 02-27-2002, 07:31 AM

thx yo...

that's what I thought too. Kev just trying to freak me out. But honestly a rebuilt unit sounds better than solenoids after 25K miles. eh, who knows.

Just went in. this dealer is HUGE. They sell 40-60+ maximas a month. Yet they claim to have never seen a slipping transmission. So, while they have now been shown the slip, I'm not confident that they will properly address it.

calling other dealerships now.. bah!

Maybe I should go down to Lexus and drool on the GS's.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:22 AM

Re: thx yo...

Tim go and kick them in their d!ck...
That sucks.
Good luck man.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:23 AM

honestly...

I don't know.. I don't really trust Nissan. All my family used to be Infiniti. Q's, J's, G's and I's. They've all sold them off for LS's, RX's, and ES's. And very happy about it. They were happy that Infiniti tried to give service, but they wanted a bit more than a nice clock on the dash. They had too many loaner cars I guess (alot of visits because service was inept, but they tried to accomodate).

Dunno.. I was very serious about the Z. Man, I had another arguement about a loaner car. I have it in black and white, Nissan Gold Warranty, 30 min repair, I get a car.. its THAT simple. yet I get crap.

I really dont think I'll look to Nissan again, or Infinity. Been waiting 8 months for a paint inspector (3rd visit). and call back from Nissan Customer Service for 5 weeks. Just no way.

Sad because for the money, nothing beats the nissan products.. but alas, it's the details that trip them up.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:32 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: honestly...

Well its kinda funny, you are gonna do the same thing I did....no more nissan.\

Old 02-27-2002, 08:21 PM

Mine happens the first 2-3 times it shifts when the transmission is still cold. RPM's jump 3-500 rpms between the shifts if I give it 1/2throttle or somewhere near or more than that. After that, it shifts normal. Sometimes it all of a sudden slips in 2nd gear, and I can hear a high pitch squeal like you heard This is the first winter that its been like this, I'm talking about the jump on RPM's. I know that this problem will dissappear once the temps get back into the 60's,like you feel. It did last Saturday and it shifted fine when it was still cold.

Still shifts normal at 6100rpms and handles full throttle upshifts like it did at 1000miles.

I really doubt Nissan put this car through a winter/cold endurance test like they said in their first 2000 Maxima Brochure. ITS ALL BS LIKE THEIR PAINT THAT CAN RESIST DIAMONDS SHOT FROM A GUN.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:41 PM

Re: Re: honestly...

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

Well its kinda funny, you are gonna do the same thing I did....no more nissan.\

I too am playing with that idea.
I have had 3 Maximas, 2 Sentras, 2 trucks since 90 (wifes included). My mother has a nissan, my bother has a nissan, and I have talked several other people into buying nissans.

If I wasn't so tall I would be driving a TL-S.

This next batch of new cars are the last straw for me, they dropped the ball so many times (not redoing the 240sx with a v6 in 95/96 when they knew they were getting rid of the Z; '97-'01 Q45 enouph said; killing the nx too soon; not moving the Max up stream sooner(the Max use to not be in the same ballpark as the Accord, Camary..);over-styling the truck; lame G20;dropping the j30...)

They must execute flawlessly for the next 3-5 years, to gain the industries respect.