5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Did my Tokico's and H&R's yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 09:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did my Tokico's and H&R's yesterday

Fun stuff. The friend who promised to help me out ended up getting a phone call during the install and ditched me for someone with a nicer a$$ and who smelled better. "Booty call" is what, I believe, you might call it. So, I did most of the install on my own, which took me about six hours total. I recommend a friend and will certainly find a different one next time. I could have easily cut an hour or more off the time had he stuck around. If you had two sets of springs compressors, you could do even better since one person could be compressing the new spring while the other person compresses the old one. The majority of the time is taken up by compressing and decompressing springs.

I posted an updated version of Punkdork's install instructions based on my experience in the sticky. Thanks, Punkdork, for the write-up...it was very helpful. I love the look of the car with the H&R's. It is looking like a gorgeous day in Seattle, so I'll try to go out and take some shots of the car. The H&R drop is perfect for the stock 17's...wheel gap is just right. I haven't had much of a chance to drive around on them, so I'll let everybody know, later, about that.

Since my buddy had ditched me when I got to the front, passenger-side wheel...I did not do my UR UDP install at the same time. I am not sure if I have the energy to do it today. I am going to go down and work on building the combination Berk/Frankencar intake in a little bit. FC short ram and couplers with Berk MAF adaptor and support bracket.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:20 AM

Man you had got a friend to help you, you couldve cut the time in HALF. That is how long it took me and my friend, 3hrs.

Dixit
Old 03-03-2002, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Man you had got a friend to help you, you couldve cut the time in HALF. That is how long it took me and my friend, 3hrs.

Dixit
I know, my man, I know. It is not that I needed help with any particular task, but it would have been good to have him doing one thing while I was doing something else. Would have been seriously easy if I had had my buddy stay around and had two sets of spring compressors. Plus, I did the first wheel with a wrench on the spring compressor, then ran to Shucks and picked of a 15/16" wratchet bit to turn the bolts (doh!). First time, lessons learned. I did the last wheel in no time flat...next time, it will be much faster I am sure.

Plus, the shorter the springs, the faster the compressing process goes, so the Maxspeed springs are probably the fastest with the 2" drop.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:23 PM

So how do u like the ride?

GC
Old 03-03-2002, 04:31 PM

Re: Did my Tokico's and H&R's yesterday

Yeah man how is the ride???, i will be going with Maxspeed Springs unless i am convinced by the goodness of H&Rs. I finally have money, not money for COILOVERS though!!! I just need to choose wisely

Roger
Old 03-03-2002, 04:56 PM

The Ride

I have driven around the town with them today. I'll be honest, no distinct difference from driving around stock just yesterday morning. The biggest noticeable difference is that BIG bumps in the road produce a "thump" sound instead of "bang." A less unpleasant of a sound, actually. I haven't had a chance to drive on them with a loaded car or on a really messed up road. I'll let everybody know after I've had them for a week.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:14 PM

Re: Re: Did my Tokico's and H&R's yesterday

Originally posted by radpp16
Yeah man how is the ride???, i will be going with Maxspeed Springs unless i am convinced by the goodness of H&Rs. I finally have money, not money for COILOVERS though!!! I just need to choose wisely

Roger
I have the Max Speeds and love them...I have ridden in my H&R's for about 8 months prior to this set up and they ride the same at nearly half the cost new...

Look for another Group Deal soon in the FS/WTB forums...we have gotten them for $85 plus s/h.

Pics of my ride on page 5 of my website maxima.cardomain.com/id/wizzamax

Install pics here http://www.brianv.net/maxspeed