5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Raced a TL-S...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 05:53 PM

Raced a TL-S...

Sort of, I've tried (3) so far, none of them seem to be biting; now I know why:

[URL=http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=34901]

It's truely sad to think this would have been me , because I almost bought the TL-S !!!

Who else almost bought the TL/CL-S?
Old 03-04-2002, 05:56 PM
Administrator

whats broken tranny's have to do with you racing them?
Old 03-04-2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
whats broken tranny's have to do with you racing them?
That is why they do not want to race; maybe scared of busting a 30k tranny over a race IMHO. Maybe, honestly I have asked anyone yet.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:01 PM

I looked at one today. They are nice. Leather seems a quality grade. Nice lines. Only problem is the price, oh, and the tranny problems I've heard about. I wish Nissan would put an auto-stick in the Max. That's what I'd really prefer. That's the only missing piece in my book.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:23 PM

auto stick

Originally posted by Joe_R
I looked at one today. They are nice. Leather seems a quality grade. Nice lines. Only problem is the price, oh, and the tranny problems I've heard about. I wish Nissan would put an auto-stick in the Max. That's what I'd really prefer. That's the only missing piece in my book.
Max, auto stick sounds excellent for 03 but so does AWD and V8...now that would be nice

Honestly though, I could care less what Nissan does as long as it doesn't break down after only 8k miles and lasts at least +180k like my BMW w/o the costly repair bill.

Going back to my question how many of you almost bought the TL-S over the Max and why?

Me, I like the the leather and the Navi, but after driving the two back to back I decided on the Max.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I almost bought a TL type s......to me that car looks really really good and the interior is nice, but the dealer was being a biatch, that's why I ended up going to nissan and got a better deal.
Sometimes I still think about TL s
but my new MAX is starting to grow on me............i think i'm gonna get flamed
Old 03-05-2002, 05:57 AM

Re: Raced a TL-S...

Originally posted by QUE2K2GLE

It's truely sad to think this would have been me , because I almost bought the TL-S !!!

I almost did... those Acura dealers are A**H***S... so I said F-'em and went for the Maxima... I was only thinkin about it cause of the Type-S model... just want to mess with the seq. sport-shifter..
Old 03-05-2002, 05:58 AM
RussMaxManiac

People abuse there cars on there. Maxima guys abuse there cars and have there trannies go as well. I just talked to another guy yesterday with a 2001, he has 40k with no tranny problems. And he drives the car hard here and there, but never at the track and never used SS mode. People who abuse blow the trannies.

I bought my CL-S 2 weeks ago. Had a 2k1 Maxima..love the CL-S more for handling. Miss the room of the Max, but its made up for the power and sportyness.

Old 03-05-2002, 05:59 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Joe_R
Got mine for 27,800, thats around the same price for a loaded Maxima.

Old 03-05-2002, 06:05 AM
Administrator

yeah but maxima 5th Gen trannies are busting left and right too
Old 03-05-2002, 06:12 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Notice how max.org is one of the few model specific forums that doesnt have a forum dedicated to problems with our cars. That's because we dont need one.

Yay Nissan.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:34 AM
Very sound, Mike

Long post - skip if needed

I almost got a CL-S (not TL-S). I loved the interior and of course the Acura service (Not to mention it's a Honda, and to me it was also about loyalty as i previously owned a Honda... so did my mom... and uncle, etc. you get the idea)

Eventually i took the test drive a couple of times, one slow and one fast. The interior really stuck to me and i liked the dash layout given it looked all too familiar (e.g. Accord).

It was only when i started driving it that i got a bit disappointed. Mind you, it's a pretty quick car but it keeps reminding me about the one problem my Honda kept bugging me - the way the transmission shifted. I never had a problem with it but it just bugged me, i can't describe exactly but it was like 1 ... vrrooom *jerk* 2 ... vrooom.

I'm not saying it's a bad transmission as i never had problems with them, it's just that.. it has that Honda trademark and feel in it which i didn't like very much.

Don't go saying it's just another automatic because it's not, Honda doesn't use the industry standard way of manufacturing an auto - they have their proprietary methods to get away from the royalties (initially).

Anyway, i also didn't like how i felt like i was driving a boat. Granted some suspension upgrades would make that go away i was basing my test drive on a stock car. Then again, i guess some of you could say the same for the Max.

Coupe. Though i always loved coupes it was time for me to upgrade to a 4DS and the TL-S was out of the question as the dealers didn't have the 2k2 out at that time and it's quite heavy.. in fact that felt even more like a boat when driving.

So i retreated for a while and then i accidentally stepped on FreshAlloy. There i found out about the upgraded Maxima and the new Altima. I didn't care at first as i really didn't like the rear-end of the Max. From the 4th gen up - to me - the rear end felt like an afterthought. However, it started to grow on me. The Altima OTOH struck me as a very sexy car.

It's amazing that if i think about it, i fell in love with the Max the first time it came out ... and watching those cool dessert commercials and showroom "flash" commercials. I just couldn't get hold of one back then

Bunch of research and questions later i decided on the Altima. Sent in my deposit and couple of months later i got first pick at my future car.

*ugh...* was my comment as i sat inside. some may say it's a nice interior but to me it just wasn't up to par for a car at that pricerange (for the 3.5L). They were prepping the car and all when i finally decided to call it off. The exterior, handling, power was awesome for the Max's "little" brother but the interior would just annoy me for years to come.

Lo and behold. I glanced upon the new Max. A Shiny Majestic Blue... just off the truck. 2miles on the odo. with the headlamps gleaming at me as if it was saying "I'm yours". I was like *wow!*, i just had to drive it. 255horses eh? 5 less than the Acura but so what?

30 minutes later (test driving) i was speechless with a gigantic grin on my face. "This is it".

I did another round of research and found out other important stuff about the Max and other info such as torque, power ratio's and the like. To me, the Max was a clear winner against the CL-S... especially for a couple thousand less and none of the stuff that the CL-S offers which i didn't need. (e.g. leather, nav, premium stereo, heated seats - heck, i'm in Houston!)

A week later i came back and got me the Max.

7 months and 6,000 miles later ... well,
Old 03-05-2002, 10:02 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by SprintMax
yeah but maxima 5th Gen trannies are busting left and right too
Um yes.. Alot of people have had tranny issues. Thats why nissan had a TSB to fix problems. Acura hasn't put one of course, but they are fixing them under warranty at least...

Old 03-05-2002, 10:24 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Long post - skip if needed

Congrats on the Max purchase. You were mentioning the CLS felt like a boat? lol! Just give your car 15k of miles and you will think twice about that. The Maxima has the ****tiest handling rear beam suspension I have driven. The car needs that Sway bar to help. And it does help since I had one. The CL-S handles almost as good as a IS300, but of course RWD rules. The CL-S has sharp steering, very little body roll when tossing it and very solid feel when hitting the bumps. The max would loose in all these catagories. The Max defintely has the nice engine VQ! I also agree the tranny is kinda weird. I am still trying to learn the way it works. I also drove a IS300 and it also shifted weird as well. All manufactures have different ways of making there trannies. Nissan just has the standard 4 speed auto that GM basically has. Not much different I am sure. Just the 5th gen 2000-2001 trannies had slipping issues and causing them to go out. Not near as many as the Acura, but we do not have that many people on here alos that run there autos 5th gens at the track all the time, alot of those guys on the Acura board are always racing there cars.

Originally posted by soundmike
I almost got a CL-S (not TL-S). I loved the interior and of course the Acura service (Not to mention it's a Honda, and to me it was also about loyalty as i previously owned a Honda... so did my mom... and uncle, etc. you get the idea)

Eventually i took the test drive a couple of times, one slow and one fast. The interior really stuck to me and i liked the dash layout given it looked all too familiar (e.g. Accord).

It was only when i started driving it that i got a bit disappointed. Mind you, it's a pretty quick car but it keeps reminding me about the one problem my Honda kept bugging me - the way the transmission shifted. I never had a problem with it but it just bugged me, i can't describe exactly but it was like 1 ... vrrooom *jerk* 2 ... vrooom.

I'm not saying it's a bad transmission as i never had problems with them, it's just that.. it has that Honda trademark and feel in it which i didn't like very much.

Don't go saying it's just another automatic because it's not, Honda doesn't use the industry standard way of manufacturing an auto - they have their proprietary methods to get away from the royalties (initially).

Anyway, i also didn't like how i felt like i was driving a boat. Granted some suspension upgrades would make that go away i was basing my test drive on a stock car. Then again, i guess some of you could say the same for the Max.

Coupe. Though i always loved coupes it was time for me to upgrade to a 4DS and the TL-S was out of the question as the dealers didn't have the 2k2 out at that time and it's quite heavy.. in fact that felt even more like a boat when driving.

So i retreated for a while and then i accidentally stepped on FreshAlloy. There i found out about the upgraded Maxima and the new Altima. I didn't care at first as i really didn't like the rear-end of the Max. From the 4th gen up - to me - the rear end felt like an afterthought. However, it started to grow on me. The Altima OTOH struck me as a very sexy car.

It's amazing that if i think about it, i fell in love with the Max the first time it came out ... and watching those cool dessert commercials and showroom "flash" commercials. I just couldn't get hold of one back then

Bunch of research and questions later i decided on the Altima. Sent in my deposit and couple of months later i got first pick at my future car.

*ugh...* was my comment as i sat inside. some may say it's a nice interior but to me it just wasn't up to par for a car at that pricerange (for the 3.5L). They were prepping the car and all when i finally decided to call it off. The exterior, handling, power was awesome for the Max's "little" brother but the interior would just annoy me for years to come.

Lo and behold. I glanced upon the new Max. A Shiny Majestic Blue... just off the truck. 2miles on the odo. with the headlamps gleaming at me as if it was saying "I'm yours". I was like *wow!*, i just had to drive it. 255horses eh? 5 less than the Acura but so what?

30 minutes later (test driving) i was speechless with a gigantic grin on my face. "This is it".

I did another round of research and found out other important stuff about the Max and other info such as torque, power ratio's and the like. To me, the Max was a clear winner against the CL-S... especially for a couple thousand less and none of the stuff that the CL-S offers which i didn't need. (e.g. leather, nav, premium stereo, heated seats - heck, i'm in Houston!)

A week later i came back and got me the Max.

7 months and 6,000 miles later ... well,

Old 03-05-2002, 10:32 AM

I'm game. What's up?
Old 03-05-2002, 01:29 PM

Re: Re: Raced a TL-S...

Originally posted by Jsolo™

I'm game. What's up?
Where do you live tht the houses look like that?
Old 03-05-2002, 03:10 PM

Re: Re: Long post - skip if needed

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Congrats on the Max purchase. You were mentioning the CLS felt like a boat? lol! Just give your car 15k of miles and you will think twice about that. The Maxima has the ****tiest handling rear beam suspension I have driven. The car needs that Sway bar to help. And it does help since I had one. The CL-S handles almost as good as a IS300, but of course RWD rules. The CL-S has sharp steering, very little body roll when tossing it and very solid feel when hitting the bumps. The max would loose in all these catagories. The Max defintely has the nice engine VQ! I also agree the tranny is kinda weird. I am still trying to learn the way it works. I also drove a IS300 and it also shifted weird as well. All manufactures have different ways of making there trannies. Nissan just has the standard 4 speed auto that GM basically has. Not much different I am sure. Just the 5th gen 2000-2001 trannies had slipping issues and causing them to go out. Not near as many as the Acura, but we do not have that many people on here alos that run there autos 5th gens at the track all the time, alot of those guys on the Acura board are always racing there cars.

Russ a CL-S handles nothing like a IS300. I test drove a 01' CL-S and it wasnt even close to an IS or 3 series. They are nice cars for the money, but nothing special compared to Lexus and the Germans.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:20 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Long post - skip if needed

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Russ a CL-S handles nothing like a IS300. I test drove a 01' CL-S and it wasnt even close to an IS or 3 series. They are nice cars for the money, but nothing special compared to Lexus and the Germans.
I said it handled close. And it does in tests. The BMW and IS are smaller cars by at good amount anyways.

Old 03-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Long post - skip if needed

Russ, to be honest... given what car i drove before (civic) both the Max and CL-S feels like a boat at first hehehe

I guess i was expecting too much from the CL-S the first few times i drove it. By the time i got to the Max it just felt easier to handle. Then again, that's just me Congrats on your CL-S as well.

I said it handled close. And it does in tests. The BMW and IS are smaller cars by at good amount anyways.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:43 PM

Re: Long post - skip if needed

Originally posted by soundmike
Russ, to be honest... given what car i drove before (civic) both the Max and CL-S feels like a boat at first hehehe

I guess i was expecting too much from the CL-S the first few times i drove it. By the time i got to the Max it just felt easier to handle. Then again, that's just me Congrats on your CL-S as well.

Thanks for all the responses and keeping things civil!!!

Keep them coming...

My ordeal at the dealership was quite unusual; their were only (6) TL-S and (1) RL on the lot excluding the showroom models. Only one of the TL-S's was a 03. The sailmen were kind of snobby, I say this because my first' sailman was like "are you sure that you want an 0 3, maybe you should try out the RSX." I was like, no...I want to test out the 03. Then the sailman insisted on me buying the 02. This persisted for like 15 minutes because for ten minutes the guy that was trying to get me to buy the RSX ran off for like 14 of those minutes to do whatever. So then he gets one of the other guys to take my business and this guy starts on about the 02 so I start to head for the 03 and he's like ok let me get the keys...

It's a very nice car but like soundmike said I was expecting more.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:49 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Long post - skip if needed

Well I think I know why he actually told you to look into the RSX. By your grammer and spelling it seems that you are a young kid and could not even afford to look at a CL or TL. Salesmen not sail.

Not to be rude, but that is what I got out of this message.

Thanks for all the responses and keeping things civil!!!

Keep them coming...

My ordeal at the dealership was quite unusual; their were only (6) TL-S and (1) RL on the lot excluding the showroom models. Only one of the TL-S's was a 03. The sailmen were kind of snobby, I say this because my first' sailman was like "are you sure that you want an 0 3, maybe you should try out the RSX." I was like, no...I want to test out the 03. Then the sailman insisted on me buying the 02. This persisted for like 15 minutes because for ten minutes the guy that was trying to get me to buy the RSX ran off for like 14 of those minutes to do whatever. So then he gets one of the other guys to take my business and this guy starts on about the 02 so I start to head for the 03 and he's like ok let me get the keys...

It's a very nice car but like soundmike said I was expecting more.

Old 03-05-2002, 06:56 PM

The 330Ci and CL-S are competitors in the same class, thats why i compared them. As for real world driving, the CL-S is not match for a Bimmer. Cant real compare a FWD vs. RWD car in terms of handling.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:06 PM

The only three cars that I seriously considered when looking for a new car were the CL-S, the Altima and the Maxima. CL-S is a nice car but I didn't want to spend money on options I didn't really care for (leather, sunroof). Altima at MSRP was not a good deal and the interiors were a disappointment. So, it all came down to which color of the 2K2 Maxima SE was it going to be
Old 03-05-2002, 08:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Long post - skip if needed

Well I think I know why he actually told you to look into the RSX. By your grammer and spelling it seems that you are a young kid and could not even afford to look at a CL or TL. Salesmen not sail.

Not to be rude, but that is what I got out of this message.

None taken RussMaxManiac.

Not to be a bad student and all but what is "grammer." It would help if when and if you continue to correct to at least be correct. I know you mean well, your doing a fine job, keep up the good work!!!
Old 03-05-2002, 08:20 PM
RussMaxManiac

None taken RussMaxManiac.

Not to be a bad student and all but what is "grammer." It would help if when and if you continue to correct to at least be correct. I know you mean well, your doing a fine job, keep up the good work!!!
Grammar....oppps one letter off, but you were way off on that one. Anyways, I made my point.

Old 03-05-2002, 08:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Looks like someones chewing on their foot.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:48 PM

Got mine for 27,800, thats around the same price for a loaded Maxima.
FOr the same price I probably would get the Acura. In Canada the TLS CLS is about $4000 Cdn more than a similar Max. The 3 year lease payment is $100Cdn more per month.