5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Problems with 2k2 clutch anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 09:48 PM

Problems with 2k2 clutch anyone?

this is the first manual car i have ever owned so im still learning whats normal and what isnt.
The other day i noticed that my shifter slipped out of third when i lightly hit it with my arm even though my foot was off the clutch. i wasnt sure if it really happened like that so i ignored it. tonight the same thing happened and i tested it in 2nd and it did the same thing with hardly any pressure at all and with my foot no where near the clutch. so i pull into my driveway and turned the car off and pulled the ebrake so i dont go anywhere. WITHOUT MY FOOT ON THE CLUTCH AT ALL i was able to shift into 1st, out of first, into second, out of second, into third, out of third, and into forth and out of forth. i wasnt able to go into 5th or 6th like this. i was shifting as softly as i would while pressing the clutch and the shifter went into gear just as easily as well. whats the deal? first of all, i just want to make sure that this is not normal and that this is in fact a problems. if so, is anyone else able to do this?
Old 03-04-2002, 09:54 PM

Re: Problems with 2k2 clutch anyone?

I didn't try doing it, but I don't think it should do that.
I didn't notice any problems with 6-speed so far.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:14 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

search back a few days..

I think 2 or 3 2k2 owners have had syncro problems.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:01 AM

You can always pop out of gears without depressing the clutch. But it should require a bit more force than you described. Also, it's normal for you to shift into and out of gears when the car's turned off. The engine nor the wheels are rolling so you do not need the clutch to synchronize the gears for you to put it into a gear.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by littledog
You can always pop out of gears without depressing the clutch. But it should require a bit more force than you described. Also, it's normal for you to shift into and out of gears when the car's turned off. The engine nor the wheels are rolling so you do not need the clutch to synchronize the gears for you to put it into a gear.
well thats good to hear bu then why cant i shift into 5th or 6th?
Old 03-05-2002, 10:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Problems with 2k2 clutch anyone?

Originally posted by Newman96SE
this is the first manual car i have ever owned so im still learning whats normal and what isnt.
The other day i noticed that my shifter slipped out of third when i lightly hit it with my arm even though my foot was off the clutch. i wasnt sure if it really happened like that so i ignored it. tonight the same thing happened and i tested it in 2nd and it did the same thing with hardly any pressure at all and with my foot no where near the clutch. so i pull into my driveway and turned the car off and pulled the ebrake so i dont go anywhere. WITHOUT MY FOOT ON THE CLUTCH AT ALL i was able to shift into 1st, out of first, into second, out of second, into third, out of third, and into forth and out of forth. i wasnt able to go into 5th or 6th like this. i was shifting as softly as i would while pressing the clutch and the shifter went into gear just as easily as well. whats the deal? first of all, i just want to make sure that this is not normal and that this is in fact a problems. if so, is anyone else able to do this?
Everything you just said is completly normal. When parked any manual car can go threw the gears. When you bump the shifter and it pops out thats normal too. In fact I pop my car into nuetral all the time with out using the clutch, it is degigned that way for a reason.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Newman96SE

well thats good to hear bu then why cant i shift into 5th or 6th?
You can go into all the gears. Park the car on level ground so you can't roll, take the e-brake off, psuh the clutch in to reduce the bind on the tranny and motor, release the clutch. After that you should be able to shift into all the gears without the clutch.

Dave