5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

X-Pel Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 09:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

X-Pel Installation

After inspecting my 02 SE bumper and beginning to observe the infamous Nissan "chips" already beginning to multiply, I purchased an "invisible bra" kit from www.xpel.com. I put it on myself yesterday.

I purchased the hood and bumper kit along with the headlight protection and some specific tools. It came to @$425. X-pel has very specific instructions that I found well written. Anyone doing this themselves should be "completely" familiar with them before beginning.

For the most part the project came out very good. The hood protection is easy because it is relatively flat and the precut material is easy to handle. The front bumper was another story.

Because of the shape of the front bumper the cut of the material is not easy to handle. An extra set of hands is highly recommended. I got very frustrated at times but never gave up and kept working with it and in the end it came out really good. I ended up with a couple small bubbles and a few specks of dirt got under it. But you really have to get down and inspect it to see them. From a few feet away you don't even know it's there.

The headlight/foglight kit was very easy to install and is "invisible".

Admittedly, I came close to throwing in the towel when working on the bumper. I actually did give up on the mirrors; those are an art in themselves due to the curvature.

My advice would be to begin with the hood to get some experience before moving on. And I highly recommend having a handy helper with you when you run into trouble.
Old 03-23-2002, 10:22 AM

you're the first ive read about installing it yourself. good job.

off topic, but we might have some screen name confusion. a guy who makes performance parts for maxima (Brian Catts) has the screen name Cattman. his business is called Cattman Performance. not saying you have to change i just wanted to let you know in case you started getting messages that are meant for him just so you knew whats up.
Old 03-23-2002, 10:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks

Originally posted by Newman96SE
you're the first ive read about installing it yourself. good job.

off topic, but we might have some screen name confusion. a guy who makes performance parts for maxima (Brian Catts) has the screen name Cattman. his business is called Cattman Performance. not saying you have to change i just wanted to let you know in case you started getting messages that are meant for him just so you knew whats up.
Yeah, my last name is Katz, so everyone at work calls me Catman. Definately don't want to confuse anyone. Thanks.