5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Assistance in making some changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 08:51 AM

Assistance in making some changes

I have posted a couple of times asking questions and putting my $.02 in where I can, but, truth is I do not feel comfortable making big changes to my car.

By that I mean, I am not confident enough to make the changes myself.

I think I can do an oil change (j/k) and I put smoke colored L.P. covers on my car yesterday (a mod for the ages), but to change to a STS or even change my MTF I would be nervous.

I am certainly interested in changing some of the items people talk about on these forums, but I do not have the confidence to just "jump in".

Is there any way to learn how to do this stuff? iwannabmw offered to help me install an AMSoil by-pass filter, etc. Which was an amazingly kind thing to do.

I am a computer technician so I am somewhat technical (I can take computers apart and put them back together), so I think I have the capacity to learn. I am just concerned that I'll *expletive deleted* something and the car I just spent 25k for will not run.

More to the point, I would be interested in seeing others do modifications to yer Maxima's. I am more interested in doing non-visible Mods. (I am not interested in putting a 4' spoiler or all kinds of extra plastic on the outside.)

If anyone is doing Mods and you live within 100 miles of Boston, MA and would like some "assistance" (read: lotsa questions asked) or a second set of hands, let me know. I would love to learn.

Happy Easter.

Contact me through the message board or at my email address on the left.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:36 PM

Dropped...

I dropped off the page without even a litle response.

This is my last try!
Old 03-31-2002, 08:57 PM

Have guts buddy. Intake is easy. Struts bars are easy. some instructions are online. My advice, ask for instructions from the manufacturers of purchase from, and have a good set of tools.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:22 PM

I am not from the Boston area, nor am I near it, but I can tell you right now that computers are a lot like cars. A simple analogy would be: you add extra fans to the CPU in order to overclock your computer (in other words, make it run faster), and you would add an intake (cold air) to also make your car run somewhat faster. By no means are the gains from each component on the same level...but there are gains nonetheless. My point being, is that if you can take computers apart and put them back together, you can do the same with your car. Just remember what you took off needs to go back on...for the most part. A sensor taken off here, must connect to a point on the mod. Better yet, make yourself a checklist of the things that you took off. As silly as that sounds, I have to write myself little notes here and there to even do the most routine things...but, hey, it works. Just a little bit of encouragement for you. Being that you're willing to learn is already half the battle. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2002, 10:25 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have worked on V8's for years. I too am scared of the 2K2 import ... I have a set of tools called METWRENCH ! I bought them off an INFOMERCIAL !!! But believe me, it was the best 89.99 I ever spent. They help me bolt and un - bolt anything......Dont be afraid, just dont BREAK anything
Old 03-31-2002, 10:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

man..its not very hard..its alot of bolts..alot of twisting..and alot of sweat...most mods that are available for your 2k2 is definatly do it your self. Intake..is just several bolts/nuts..1 sensor that needs to be disconnected/connected..couple gaskets and hose clamps to be tightened..and your done..a cold air intake takes it 1 step further by drilling a hole. Exhaust..involves a jack....8 or so nuts and bolts..and a bunch of rubber hangers that need some lube to slip off..For handling...the front strut bar..is simple..3 bolts on each side..just take off..put your bar on..align it..and tighten...rear sway bar (goes under the car)..is aobut 8 nuts/bolts and you probably need another set of hands to make it easier to hold the bar up. Most of us have done our mods ourself..the simple ones like ive described...borrow some tools..and the person you borrowed them from and you've got a good day of modding your car. Like he said its kinda like computers...dont force anything..if the plug dosent fit it probably dosent go there. But if your ever scared..theres always instructions available somewhere....we've got a buncha modded 2k2's already..from intakes to exhausts..to clear headlights..body kit..etc.. so if your instructions dont make much sense to ya..just ask! so yea..grab some wrenches and sockets..and attack that car!