5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 Fog light

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 01:42 PM

2k2 Fog light

Has anyone changed the fog lights on the 2k2. I just tried it today for a sec but it looked difficult. Anyone with some help on this.

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 04-02-2002, 02:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think you mean change the bulbs, I changed the bulbs on mine to Euro White Xenon 100 % Pure 3800K, they colst around $25-30, way better than the stock fog lights, since bthey have that dim yellow glow, these bulbs I put in really match the HID's way better than the stock ones, definitely worth it, my only mod yet.

It's kind of hard to switch the bulbs however, you must take out the screws from under the bumper and remove the plastic parts and then take out the whole foglight assembly from the inside of the bumper and replace the bulb, about 1/2 hour should do it, and remember DONT TOUCH THE BULBS.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:59 PM

Hers a link to help you install them. http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/foginstall.html
Old 04-02-2002, 04:39 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by GuZo
[B]way better than the stock fog lights, since bthey have that dim yellow glow,
There is a reason for that ya know. Yellow lights perform better in an actual fog

I'm still curious why a lot of people change out their fogs to something white. Is it plainly for appearance purposes?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2002, 05:26 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Yes it's for appearance. I hated to look at the front of my Maxx at night and see two off white turds at the bottom. Noww the entire front matches the HID's, except for the turn signal, which I will leave orange....
Old 04-02-2002, 05:37 PM
Very sound, Mike

Ah ok. Understood. I'll bug you guys no more

Originally posted by kloogy
Yes it's for appearance. I hated to look at the front of my Maxx at night and see two off white turds at the bottom. Noww the entire front matches the HID's, except for the turn signal, which I will leave orange....
Old 04-02-2002, 06:07 PM

Thanks for some of your help guys. I was actually gonna change them to the PIAA lights that I had before on my 999. They put out a good yellow light. Ill see how that turns out.

Chris
Old 04-02-2002, 06:11 PM

The 2k2 fogs are different than the 2k1. There are two nuts, one upper one lower to undo, the plug, then slide the fog out.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by kloogy
I want to match my fogs to my headlamps. What do you recommend for the best match?
Old 04-30-2002, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Yianni54
I want to match my fogs to my headlamps. What do you recommend for the best match?
There are several recent threads on this (one of them mine ). I'm putting in the PIAA Xtreme Whites ... have also read that Eaglites and MAX bulbs are close matches too.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Creature

There are several recent threads on this (one of them mine ). I'm putting in the PIAA Xtreme Whites ... have also read that Eaglites and MAX bulbs are close matches too.
Does changing the fog lights to PIAA's make them too bright? I'm worried about other drivers getting blinded by them...and then blinding me with their high beams.

???
Old 05-01-2002, 01:03 AM

999 Maxima?

Originally posted by capmaxima99
Thanks for some of your help guys. I was actually gonna change them to the PIAA lights that I had before on my 999. They put out a good yellow light. Ill see how that turns out.

Chris
Was it a horse drawn carriage?

Old 05-01-2002, 05:17 AM

Fog lights are supposed to be used in the fog and bad weather (rain, etc.) It seems that ever since manufacturers put them on cars and SUVs (when they were really intended for small low to the ground sportscars), everyone has to turn them on. The result...blinding the heck out of each other. Next thing, everyone will want to put K-Bar Lights on top and really blind each other. You may think you look cool with them on, but you're killing my "night vision." Be courteous and use them when the situation warrants it.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:53 PM

Ironic!!! I just did my '02 fogs today!

Check out this http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/foginstall.html for starters... But note that some things did change for '02. There will be two additional retaining clips near the front wheels that will need to be removed in order to remove the bottom panel further. Also to remove the fogs you need to remove two 10mm bolts (a 3/8 works nicely, if you can't get metric) that hold the light assembly in place. The light then slides out the front of the bumper. After that you should be able to figure out how to replace the bulb.

Also, today I rewired my fogs so that they will turn on with only the parking lights, rather than requiring the HIDs to be on. This really was not very difficult. In order to do this see http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/fogrewire.html

However for 2k2 the wire to cut is not yellow, it is blue. It is pin #2 on the relay if I am not mistaken. It is the wire that supplies 12V to energize the coil. Once I cut that I rewired the relay side to the parking light. Since the coil draws very little current you need not worry about blowing fuses or melting wiring. All and all you can replace the fogs and rewire them in an hour.

I owe a lot to 5thgenmaximas.com, I have used the how-to a great bit.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Ironic!!! I just did my '02 fogs today!

Since 5thgenmaximas.com is down, can you post it somewhere on here? I want to do it tommorrow, but I don't have the info. Do you have a copy? I would REALLY appreciate it man!

Originally posted by soopermax02
Check out this http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/foginstall.html for starters... But note that some things did change for '02. There will be two additional retaining clips near the front wheels that will need to be removed in order to remove the bottom panel further. Also to remove the fogs you need to remove two 10mm bolts (a 3/8 works nicely, if you can't get metric) that hold the light assembly in place. The light then slides out the front of the bumper. After that you should be able to figure out how to replace the bulb.

Also, today I rewired my fogs so that they will turn on with only the parking lights, rather than requiring the HIDs to be on. This really was not very difficult. In order to do this see http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/fogrewire.html

However for 2k2 the wire to cut is not yellow, it is blue. It is pin #2 on the relay if I am not mistaken. It is the wire that supplies 12V to energize the coil. Once I cut that I rewired the relay side to the parking light. Since the coil draws very little current you need not worry about blowing fuses or melting wiring. All and all you can replace the fogs and rewire them in an hour.

I owe a lot to 5thgenmaximas.com, I have used the how-to a great bit.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:31 PM
Very sound, Mike

Vehicle Wiring Info for 2k2 and here's the info for previous gens
Old 05-02-2002, 04:08 PM

How the hell do you get blinded by the low-power, off-white fog lights but not the High Intensity Discharge Xenon main lamps? Fog lights don't aim any higher, and they certainly aren't brighter. Are you driving a skateboard?

Originally posted by Mark S.
Fog lights are supposed to be used in the fog and bad weather (rain, etc.) It seems that ever since manufacturers put them on cars and SUVs (when they were really intended for small low to the ground sportscars), everyone has to turn them on. The result...blinding the heck out of each other. Next thing, everyone will want to put K-Bar Lights on top and really blind each other. You may think you look cool with them on, but you're killing my "night vision." Be courteous and use them when the situation warrants it.