5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone installed a UDP on a 2K2 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Anyone installed a UDP on a 2K2 yet?

I'm thinking about trying this mod with a buddy, but have reservations since I may be one of the first. I've "heard" the install should be identical on all 5th gens, but I'd prefer to hear the information first hand. Anyone?

-Left
Old 04-03-2002, 02:30 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Come on Lefty, Bust out the tools !!! We can do my springs at the same time,...
Old 04-03-2002, 02:35 PM

I know, I know.

Wiseman say, "Fear unknown mods".
Old 04-03-2002, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by LeftCoast
I know, I know.

Wiseman say, "Fear unknown mods".
Cattman catback & B-pipe?... You must post pix when you get it dude... Kloogy, give me his address

G
Old 04-04-2002, 04:42 AM

Re: Anyone installed a UDP on a 2K2 yet?

I'm thinking about trying this mod with a buddy, but have reservations since I may be one of the first. I've "heard" the install should be identical on all 5th gens, but I'd prefer to hear the information first hand. Anyone?

-Left
Everything I have read says it will no prob and even the sales sites list the 02 along with the 00/01's. I saw a dyno yesterday that it added about 8/9hp on a non-sc car with seems reasonable for the 2 bones they cost, it'll be the last mod I make though.

Thanks -- SS
Old 04-04-2002, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE

Cattman catback & B-pipe?... You must post pix when you get it dude... Kloogy, give me his address

G
No worries.. As soon as its completed, I'll post pics and wavs..
Old 04-04-2002, 08:26 AM

Funny you should ask. I will be going to Unorthodox Racing tomorrow (4/5/2002) to have my bone-stock 2K2 dynoed. We are then going to fit the UDP and then re-dyno in a few weeks (to give the ECU time to adjust).

The current feeling at Unorthodox is that the older pulley should fit but that the timing ring is no longer necessary on the 2K2s and will likely be removed in future designs which are made *exclusively* for the 2K2 Maxima and Altima. If there are any changes necessary to the pulley design, part of the reason I am going there is so they can take exact measurements of the stock pulley.

Right now, everyone is guessing the old pulley will work, but Unorthodox has not *officially* sanctioned or tested their UDP with any VQ35 car. That will change tomorrow.

I will have pics and post results when done. Someone has to be the pioneer and I guess since I am 8 miles away from them, it's me.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GregP
Funny you should ask. I will be going to Unorthodox Racing tomorrow (4/5/2002) to have my bone-stock 2K2 dynoed. We are then going to fit the UDP and then re-dyno in a few weeks (to give the ECU time to adjust).

The current feeling at Unorthodox is that the older pulley should fit but that the timing ring is no longer necessary on the 2K2s and will likely be removed in future designs which are made *exclusively* for the 2K2 Maxima and Altima. If there are any changes necessary to the pulley design, part of the reason I am going there is so they can take exact measurements of the stock pulley.

Right now, everyone is guessing the old pulley will work, but Unorthodox has not *officially* sanctioned or tested their UDP with any VQ35 car. That will change tomorrow.

I will have pics and post results when done. Someone has to be the pioneer and I guess since I am 8 miles away from them, it's me.
Ohh boy, this is gonna be good!!
Old 04-04-2002, 10:23 AM

The current feeling at Unorthodox is that the older pulley should fit but that the timing ring is no longer necessary on the 2K2s and will likely be removed in future designs which are made *exclusively* for the 2K2 Maxima and Altima.
JUST GREAT...I already bought the UDP from custommaxima. I'm very curious to see how this works out for you. Please keep us informed.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:06 AM

Will do. If I can find this thread tomorrow, I will add to it with the dyno numbers. Unfortunately, this will just be dyno #s for a stock 2K2, as the "post-UDP" dyno will not be performed for a week or two.

I will also document the install (it will be on my web site) so people can see what it looks like under there....

Greg
Old 04-05-2002, 06:29 PM

Hi all,

I said I would come back to this thread and post when I had the UDP installed on my 2K2 Maxima. Well, today was the day, and not only did I have the UDP put on, but I had the car dynoed (stock, before the UDP) as well.

For a complete writeup and explanation of exactly what was done with regard to the UDP at Unorthodox Racing today, please check my web site at http://www.greghome.com and follow along....

Greg
Old 04-05-2002, 06:34 PM
Very sound, Mike

Greg, i haven't read through all of it yet but so far very interesting.

I do have a question about this statement though:
"The engine cover needs to be removed to gain access to the ignition coil - a few hex bolts and it's off"

It's interesting to know that, when i had my car dynoed.. not only did they run it in 2nd gear and non-SAE correct it, they just attached something close to the intake manifold.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:57 AM

Hi all,

I said I would come back to this thread and post when I had the UDP installed on my 2K2 Maxima. Well, today was the day, and not only did I have the UDP put on, but I had the car dynoed (stock, before the UDP) as well.

For a complete writeup and explanation of exactly what was done with regard to the UDP at Unorthodox Racing today, please check my web site at http://www.greghome.com and follow along....

Greg
GREAT JOB GREG! You are the man! Post the post-dyno results when done, please.

Does the 2k custommaxima.com kit come with any belts? If not, I guess we could buy the UDP & get the belt #s from your webpage. Good looking out, man!

G
Old 04-06-2002, 01:20 PM

Removal of UDO timing ring on 2002?

i am in the process of putting my UDP on my 2002 and am wondering how the heck i remove the timing ring off the pulley? Does the timing ring have to taken off the UDP to fit the 2002? Will it screw up my car if i dont take off the timing ring?
Old 04-06-2002, 01:20 PM

I don't know anything about the custommaxima kit.

What confuses me is that I swore I heard of some people who installed the "old" 4th-gen UDP in their 2K2s, but when the mechanics at Unorthodox looked at the pulley along with my car which was right up there on their lift, the pulley with the timing ring did NOT fit. Since the timing ring is simply hex-screwed into the pulley, removing it was not a problem, and then the pulley fit perfectly. So I'm a little confused at people who have put their UDP on the 2K2 and how they fit it.

Also, the power steering belt recommended by Unorthodox for the 4th-gen UDP (K060292) was way too short for the VQ35 and we had to go to a K060300...

Anyone out there care to enlighten me on this issue cause I'm very curious.

Don't worry, the car will get dynoed again - Unorthodox is actually after ME to do it. I had no idea it was so expensive, but Shawn at Unorthodox paid for it - $180 for 3 runs. !!!
Old 04-06-2002, 01:27 PM

20006spd - I believe you can simply remove the timing ring with a hex wrench, but to tell you the truth, Joe at Unorthodox did it SO fast, I didn't even see what he did!! He left with my pulley and came back with it a minute later with the timing ring off, and it DEFINITELY was the same pulley.

If you can't get it off, call Shawn at Unorthodox and ask if he would be willing to trade you yours for one without the ring. They still need to sell the ones with the timing ring for 4th-gens, so I'm sure he could use it. I would NOT attempt to put it on your 2K2 with the timing ring.

If you speak to Shawn tell him your situation - he knows me very well and he is also 100% familiar now with the situation regarding the UDP/timing ring and the VQ35 engine. Shawn is the pres. of Unorthodox - he drove my car to the dyno when we did the runs.

Greg
Old 04-06-2002, 01:31 PM

Apologies for continually spamming this thread - those of you who were interested in the 3 dyno graphs, they are now up on my web site (http://www.greghome.com)

These are the "before" dyno graphs on a bone-stock 2K2 Maxima. The numbers are not as high as some others I have seen for 2K2 Maximas, but still over 200 FWHP and 219 lb-ft of torque!
Old 04-06-2002, 02:14 PM

Thanks Greg!

Thanks for the help. Instead of sending this one back, can i have the timing ring taken off professionally at a shop? The car is still on the lift right now taken apart until i figure out what to do. When i originally bought the pulley from custommaxima.com ,i was that the pulley definitely fit the 2002,so i bought it and am now running into these problems of it not fitting. The new updated 2002 pulley was not available two weeks ago when i bought the other pulley.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:11 AM

I think you can take the ring off yourself - I am just not sure if you have to drill out the timing ring holes or just unscrew them. Go to the Unorthodox Racing web site and find the phone number for "Joe M". Call him Monday after 10 AM and ask him. He is the guy who did it. Reference "Greg, the guy with the 2002 Maxima" and he will know exactly what you are talking about.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:36 PM
ActiveTuning Partner

So what's the end of the story??
Old 04-11-2002, 07:56 PM

Keep spamming, we want to see the Dyno results. Doing mine (and my clutch) this weekend.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:34 PM

Keep spamming, we want to see the Dyno results. Doing mine (and my clutch) this weekend.
ur clutch? did u buy a after market one? if so i want one!!

will
Old 04-11-2002, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by WILLSE

ur clutch? did u buy a after market one? if so i want one!!
Still haven't found an aftermarket clutch for the 2K2...but I'm looking. Changing the clutch out of neccessity...wish I didn't have to.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:33 PM

Still haven't found an aftermarket clutch for the 2K2...but I'm looking. Changing the clutch out of neccessity...wish I didn't have to.
ur doing it or nissan is? i had mine replaced too along with the tranny!

will
Old 04-12-2002, 05:13 AM

The end of the story is..... yet to come. I will probably re-dyno in about a week. When I do, results will be posted here and on my web site. I think it will be a good test because the car does not have any other performance mods besides the UDP, and won't get any until the dyno is performed again.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:23 AM
Very sound, Mike

Greg, you may have skippd my question a while back. In any case, do you think you can still get an SAE corrected plot of your pre-udp dyno's?

The end of the story is..... yet to come. I will probably re-dyno in about a week. When I do, results will be posted here and on my web site. I think it will be a good test because the car does not have any other performance mods besides the UDP, and won't get any until the dyno is performed again.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:42 AM

I realized I am an ignoramus at times, but I don't even know what an SAE corrected graph is! All I have from my "pre-UDP" runs are the graphs as they came right out of the dynojet.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:47 AM
Very sound, Mike

SAE correction basically corrects the dyno numbers by standardizing the environmental factors such as humidity, temperature and the like.

So that next time you run, whether it be extremely hot or freezing cold, 100 or 0% humidity - your dyno results on the next run will be within the same conditions the first run was made at. This will give you a better comparison later on.

I made the same mistake of not having my run SAE corrected on my first dyno run ever and boy did i take a hit for that.

To better sum it up: (google)
"Horsepower and torque are usually corrected to a SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) standard. The corrected horsepower and torque numbers offer an accurate basis for comparing engine dynamometer tests on different dates, different engines, or in different areas of the world ."

I realized I am an ignoramus at times, but I don't even know what an SAE corrected graph is! All I have from my "pre-UDP" runs are the graphs as they came right out of the dynojet.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:50 AM

I *do* remember Shawn asking the guy who was running the dyno test to make sure that the runs were SAE corrected "for the guys on the Internet" but beyond that, I don't know how you would know by just looking at the graphs.