5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Redline Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 04:33 PM

Redline Tranny Fluid

I know the advantages of this product, but are there any disadvantages? How does it perform on a 2k2 6 speed?
Old 04-03-2002, 04:34 PM

I'm using it, only dis that I know of is price, unless I just bought it at an expensive place.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:57 PM

Yeah, the price isn't cheap, but most people are pretty satisfied with it -- I know I am I think someone mentioned that it possible eats up synchro gears in Hondas, but well, we don't own Hondas I know people around here have used it for quite some time and I have yet to hear anyone complain. I think you'll like it.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Redline Tranny Fluid

You may also want to consider the Amsoil fluids for your application. The cost may not be as excessive as other products. Drop me an email if you would like pricing information on Amsoil products.

Bret
Old 04-03-2002, 07:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is interesting because the 2K2 has a cable shifter. I test drove a 6 speed and found that the shifter made it very easy to row thru the gears, un-like my 5 speed with its stock gear oil. When I put redline MT-90 in my 5 speed, the gearbox loosened up a whole lot. I imagine in a 6 speed it may feel too loose

Also, check your manual to verifiy that the 6 speed takes GL-4 gear oil, like redline MT-90. If it takes GL-5, then instead get Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec gear oil at your local auto store.

DW
Old 04-03-2002, 08:08 PM

Forgive my ignorance

what is the advantage of using this fluid?
Old 04-04-2002, 06:34 AM

Re: Forgive my ignorance

Your car is like mine, the 5 speed is connected by a rod shifter. With the new fluid, the gearbox will feel much more loose, so you can shift faster. Also, it makes your synchros very happy, too. On regular Nissan gear fluid, while rolling at like 5 to 10 mph, there was no way I could push it into 1st. With redline, it actually happens The red-line MT-90 gear oil is to your tranny just like synthetic oil is to your engine. It actually is synthetic gear oil. These synthetics way out-perform their mineral based counterparts.

Try it. You won't go back to the regular stuff

DW

Originally posted by bramirez
what is the advantage of using this fluid?
Old 04-04-2002, 06:41 AM

I noticed that "dwapenyi" said the 2k2 has a cable shifter. What is that? And has any one put redline in their 6 speed 2k2 maxima, if so does it make it too loose like "dwapenyi" said.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:51 AM

The shifter in your cabin connects to your gearbox in the engine bay via cables. The 2K1 Maximas and below had them connected more directly by a rod. If you drive an older generation maxima 5 speed, you will 'feel' the gears more than in your car. Each method has its advantages and drawbacks. The cable shifter has reduced feel, but it is also quieter b/c it doesn't transmit any engine vibration to the cabin. Because the rod shifter has a more dirct connection, you feel evey pulse of the engine. The VQ motor is very smooth, so its not an outrageous vibration, but its more than the cable shifter.

DW

Originally posted by Bulldawg
I noticed that "dwapenyi" said the 2k2 has a cable shifter. What is that? And has any one put redline in their 6 speed 2k2 maxima, if so does it make it too loose like "dwapenyi" said.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:47 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The shifter in your cabin connects to your gearbox in the engine bay via cables. The 2K1 Maximas and below had them connected more directly by a rod. If you drive an older generation maxima 5 speed, you will 'feel' the gears more than in your car. Each method has its advantages and drawbacks. The cable shifter has reduced feel, but it is also quieter b/c it doesn't transmit any engine vibration to the cabin. Because the rod shifter has a more dirct connection, you feel evey pulse of the engine. The VQ motor is very smooth, so its not an outrageous vibration, but its more than the cable shifter.

DW

Thanks.

I was wondering why they went to the cables for the 2K2.

Makes perfect sense.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:05 AM

HAS ANYONE PUT IT IN A 2K2 6SPEED?
Old 04-04-2002, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by Bulldawg
I put MT90 in my 02. I thought the shifter was a little notchy from the start so I was looking for something to smooth it out. The Redline helped, specially in cold weather. In my experience, adding Redline will not make a profound difference (make the shifter too loose...make the gates feel like they are 2 feet wide, etc.), but it does help take out some of the notchiness and ease shifting.

Since it only takes 2 and some change quarts, buying 3 quarts of MT90 was one of the best mods for the money.

I live in Chicago, so cold weather shifting is definately a factor. If you still have doubts...try it out. If you dont like it, switch back.

You can find more info by doing a search on this topic too...it has been talked about a lot.

Brian
Old 04-04-2002, 09:10 AM

Only 3 quarts maximum?? Odd. My 5 speed takes 4.5 quarts. I figured your 6 speed would take that or more. Also, if you are in colder climates, you can try redline MTL. It's thinner than MT-90.

DW

Originally posted by TellschMax02

I put MT90 in my 02. I thought the shifter was a little notchy from the start so I was looking for something to smooth it out. The Redline helped, specially in cold weather. In my experience, adding Redline will not make a profound difference (make the shifter too loose...make the gates feel like they are 2 feet wide, etc.), but it does help take out some of the notchiness and ease shifting.

Since it only takes 2 and some change quarts, buying 3 quarts of MT90 was one of the best mods for the money.

I live in Chicago, so cold weather shifting is definately a factor. If you still have doubts...try it out. If you dont like it, switch back.

You can find more info by doing a search on this topic too...it has been talked about a lot.

Brian
Old 04-04-2002, 09:18 AM
JUVIN's ride

Only 3 quarts maximum?? Odd. My 5 speed takes 4.5 quarts. I figured your 6 speed would take that or more. Also, if you are in colder climates, you can try redline MTL. It's thinner than MT-90.

DW

I have a dumb ?. redline is tranny fluid, right?

What are the fluid change intervals for redline?

How long should I wait to put it in my car?

2K2 coming in 2 weeks.

thanks
Old 04-04-2002, 09:24 AM

The fluid is *almost* maintenance free. The only reason you would change it at like 50K miles, is if you tow a trailer or travel up mountainous regions frequently. In other words, if you drive in situation which put alot of load on the tranny, then change it. If it's just the car with not alot of hills, then leave it.

DW

Originally posted by 2k2MerlotSE

2K2 coming in 2 weeks.

thanks
Old 04-04-2002, 10:04 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by 2k2MerlotSE

2K2 coming in 2 weeks.

thanks
They also sell Engine Oil. I will be switching at my next oil change(15,000 on the OD) to Redline 10W-40. I'll keep you posted on my results.

Fluid change intervals vary according to the type of driving(short/long trips) and environment(cold/hot temps., dusty).

Manual Trans.
---------------
The MT fluid should be changed as Nissan specifies, since there is NO filter. Changing the fluid is the only way the metal shavings/ clutch particles are removed. The MT-90 or whatever you use is still good, but you need to remove the debris from the fluid.

AutoMAGIC Trans.
-----------------
The ATF and engine oil can be changed MUCH higher than Nissan specifies, but the filter should be changed as specified. It's easy to just add a little each time you change the oil filter, but not so easy when you change the autoMAGIC's filter.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:22 AM

DW

I was a little surprised too. I cant remember the exact amount, but if you buy 3 quarts that is enough.

The reason I went with MT90 was because it met the factory viscosity specs and the MTL did not. I didn't want to take a chance using out of spec fluid...even if it is a small chance.

Brian
Old 04-04-2002, 10:26 AM

That's true. So the 6 speed still requires 80W90 GL-4 like mine? Just curious.

DW

Originally posted by TellschMax02

I was a little surprised too. I cant remember the exact amount, but if you buy 3 quarts that is enough.

The reason I went with MT90 was because it met the factory viscosity specs and the MTL did not. I didn't want to take a chance using out of spec fluid...even if it is a small chance.

Brian
Old 04-04-2002, 10:42 AM

That's true. So the 6 speed still requires 80W90 GL-4 like mine? Just curious.

DW

Actually I think it is 75W-90 GL-4.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:12 AM

I also added MT-90 to my 2K2 6-speed and there is definitely an improvement in feel.

It is a simple mod, but I documented everything with pictures on my web site if you want to see how it's done. Others have done the same.

http://www.greghome.com
Old 04-04-2002, 11:23 AM

Nice! Your web page answered all the questions I was curious about earlier.

You can see a flex section for the Y pipe in your 2K2 in 1 of your PICs. Do you have the stock Nissan Y pipe?? If so, then it looks like they have a flex section like the cattman Ys of the 4th gens.

DW

Originally posted by GregP
I also added MT-90 to my 2K2 6-speed and there is definitely an improvement in feel.

It is a simple mod, but I documented everything with pictures on my web site if you want to see how it's done. Others have done the same.

http://www.greghome.com
Old 04-04-2002, 11:59 AM

2K2 coming in 2 weeks.

thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

Redline makes motor oil, tranny fluid, and other gear lubes.

It started out as a product for racers.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:33 PM

dwapenyi - my entire Maxima is totally stock, including the exhaust. The stock Nissan Y-Pipes *always* had HUGE flex sections. This is the reason why they are SOOO quiet. I still think that the flex sections in the Stillen *and* Cattman pipes are too small to be as effective, but they do provide some play.