5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Urgent!! Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 12:26 AM

Urgent!! Need Help!

Does anyone here know how to remove the air vents that are on top of the stereo? I'm trying to install my own system and I have already taken off the console around the shifter as well as the one screw behind the ashtray but I cannot get the top air vents off so I can reach the two screws that are holding in the Head Unit. I'm in the process of doing this now so if someone could possibly help lead me in the right direction, I would greatly appriecate it. Thank you.

Shadou
Old 04-09-2002, 01:26 AM

why in the world are you installing stereo at 2:30 in the morning.. anyway, I believe they just pull straight out, there are clips holding it.. you just have to pull it up and out...
Old 04-09-2002, 01:29 AM

The first time I was trying to remove them i was able to get out, but when I tried to remove them again i coudn't do it anymore. So I stuck a flat screwdriver and gently pried it out. Do a search on it on the audio forum. Oh and when you notice the vents coming out pull up on the vents and and then pull out. I wish i had my digital camera and someone to help me film an mpeg of it. Good luck though. PM me if you need additional help.
Old 04-09-2002, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by Max2000
why in the world are you installing stereo at 2:30 in the morning.. anyway, I believe they just pull straight out, there are clips holding it.. you just have to pull it up and out...
Well, I live in Hawaii and I just returned from Japan yesterday where I went for a few weeks and I bought a double din Kenwood system that has about every feature in the book and I wanted to install it. I hate waiting around for friends to help and even though I've never done this before, I thought it's time to learn. Thanks for your help.

Shadou
Old 04-09-2002, 04:43 AM

Originally posted by Menacer
The first time I was trying to remove them i was able to get out, but when I tried to remove them again i coudn't do it anymore. So I stuck a flat screwdriver and gently pried it out. Do a search on it on the audio forum. Oh and when you notice the vents coming out pull up on the vents and and then pull out. I wish i had my digital camera and someone to help me film an mpeg of it. Good luck though. PM me if you need additional help.
Thanks for your help. I went back and tried doing what you said and it worked perfectly. Then I had trouble removing the two bottom screws as they were in pretty tightly and they wouldn't budge so I went out to my local 24 hour KMart and bought an electic screwdrive and it worked fine. Then I had problems trying to get the plugs off the back but after about 30 mintues or so, I finally pried them off. I thought I was all good to go at this point but discovered that the connectors that was thrown in for free were the wrong kind. So, done for tonight and off to the local audio store tomorrow. Thanks again.

Shadou
Old 04-09-2002, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by shadou

Thanks for your help. I went back and tried doing what you said and it worked perfectly. Then I had trouble removing the two bottom screws as they were in pretty tightly and they wouldn't budge so I went out to my local 24 hour KMart and bought an electic screwdrive and it worked fine. Then I had problems trying to get the plugs off the back but after about 30 mintues or so, I finally pried them off. I thought I was all good to go at this point but discovered that the connectors that was thrown in for free were the wrong kind. So, done for tonight and off to the local audio store tomorrow. Thanks again.

Shadou

Is that why I saw you driving downtown at like 9pm last night. Damn you smokin crack! I know you got rims and the license plate was SHADOU.
Old 04-09-2002, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by shadou

Shadou
Did you scratch the trim piece when you where trying to get the ac vents out?