5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

lost to a 2k2 SE-R

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 09:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lost to a 2k2 SE-R

A story of David vs Goliath

I was driving down 580 east to Hayward. For those who don’t live in Bay Area, this portion of 580 has a lot of up, down hills and turns. Then a new white Sentra SE-R was passing and cutting in front of others, when he passed me, I wonder how fast those SE-R are? My hands and feet were itchy and I know that I want some dinner and some relieves from a stressful day of work.

He had a four-car length start and we were going uphill. I slammed on it…..immediately I got a 2 car length and then closed on him until one car length. Now I was gaining slowly on him and here came the first right turn loop.

First right turn, kissed his rear bumper
The speed limit says 60 but none of us gave a rat ****. We entered it with 100mph on the outer lane then he slowed down and I was still going and get that 1 car length back. The road was rough and our stock suspension was making this ride like a bouncing boat. I wanted to pass him right there but too much traffic gave me no space. I had to brake and now I realized how much that my rotors were warped: Maxima was shaking like no tomorrow, the steering wheel , the body, the pedal, and the floor were all vibrating. The car tend to shift to the right during high speed hard braking. My ultraman cell phone detector got knocked off to the back seat. We slowed down to 80 and now I got all the distance back, but still behind.

Downhill roads with lots of cars
Now he started to cut in front others, changing lanes and tried to get rid off me by using the traffic. He definitely has more advantage here b/c of his size. He was going smooth and I had to use a lot of braking. I caught up with him couple times and we had to slow down for the traffic. I assume that he is manual trans b/c he re-gained faster and he didn’t use much brake to slow down. Finally, he got back 3 car length and we were back to the beginning.

Uphill left turn, my last chance.
Going back up to up hill and this was my last chance to take him with my higher torque. But again! Traffic and my autoTRAGIC were really pushing me back. My bulky body couldn’t find a gap to merge and he was still shifting in and out. Finally, on the top of the hill, I had 3 car length and ready to hit again….I was gaining distance.

Goliath got spanky spanky
Then he did something crazy. The lane on our left was packed and the lanes on the right were loose, I now had a one car distance and there was a car in front of us with a car on the right hand lane. There was a half to ¾ quarter car length between these 2 cars. I thought this is the end of it and I let go the gas, but he was still going, going into the rear bumper of the car in front of him. Then he cut into that tiny space and barely fit into it. The car on his right had to hard brake to let him in and when I caught up. These two cars were already right next to each other…..I lost. Goliath got a good butt kicked by agile David.

Then we caught up few minutes later…..gave him a thumb, he nodded…..end of race.

When I came home and I checked on the brake….the front rotors turned really blue and I think that is the sign of a trip to the dealer. I think I would've done better if we werent stuck in traffic and Maxima definitly have better high end in this situation. good job, SE-R, another Nissan's masterpiece.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:11 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I brush these away like a YUGO in my 2K2.. they are quick, but they are like a CIVIC SI.. There is no reason this guy would even keep up ! Am I wrong ?? Ive only messed with one of these, and he waved me off like " I want no part of you ".....
Old 04-12-2002, 09:14 PM

I am a 2k GLE..... 0.5L smaller and with a soul of grandpa

Originally posted by kloogy
I brush these away like a YUGO in my 2K2.. they are quick, but they are like a CIVIC SI.. There is no reason this guy would even keep up ! Am I wrong ?? Ive only messed with one of these, and he waved me off like " I want no part of you ".....
Old 04-12-2002, 09:32 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Its not a 2K2 thing.. there are a lot of Pre 2K2 guys here who would have smoked that HAMSTER ! That is the "RICE" version for Nissan !
Old 04-12-2002, 09:47 PM

Its not a 2K2 thing.. there are a lot of Pre 2K2 guys here who would have smoked that HAMSTER ! That is the "RICE" version for Nissan !
Nothing wrong with the SE-R. If I could afford to replace my Civic econobox, I'd get the SE-R in a snap.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:08 PM

SE-R is as fast as the four gens in a straight line. A lot faster than any Maxima in turns (stock vs. stock).
Old 04-12-2002, 11:16 PM

Hey dun be bashin the car
I was gonna get one of those too lol...it sure is worth it for the price u pay for it thats for sure and as mentioned before it would take us pretty good in turns stock to stock that is
Its a nice car but some minor things kind of pushed me away from it first off the lava seats.... ... i'm just sittin here thinkin lol what if i never did take the maxima out for a spin lol...it was that little spin that diverted me directly away from the SE-R =)
Old 04-13-2002, 01:04 AM

well, dun expect too much of my 160hp fat hamster (if I had 5-speed, that's different story)....well, I could've had a chance. What can I say?!?! I choose a wrong race and the wrong time of the day.

Old 04-13-2002, 12:02 PM

We it a Spec-V? Those thing come stock with performance suspension, including FSTB and 175HP. My friend has one, those things are pretty quick and will out handle any stock Max.
Old 04-13-2002, 12:29 PM

Don't feel bad, here's a little secret I don't remember if I posted here or not, I lost to a SATURN. You know the foor door economy compact car. I was on vacation and to make a long story short I passed the guy on the highway, he thought he was the king of the road and decided to give chase, I left him about a mile behind in traffic. About 10 minutes later he passes me, I give chase, it's wet out and my wife gets scared tells me to slow down before we get hurt. Things were getting dangerous but to be honest, I could'nt have caught him anyway. He was hellbent one beating me and it almost seemed as if he was willing to risk his life to do so. The car was really weighed down with vacationing items and I destroyed him on the straits, but he was crushing me in the curves. I had bad handling due to the additional weight. Hats off to the guy though, I guess he was king after all.
Old 04-13-2002, 01:46 PM
nc00max

I don't know if I would consider it a loss just because he was more willing to do stupid things and risk himself to beat you. Racing is one thing, and I do it almost every valid chance I get, but I still wouldn't go blasting through traffic doing it, and I wave off if traffic is even remotely thick. Next time, just wait till there's some open road ahead, then own his ***.

Old 04-13-2002, 06:02 PM

My friend has a 2k2 SE-R Spec-V and I took out the aircleaner, and ran a 15.31@91. Not too shabby if you ask me.
Old 04-13-2002, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by nc00max
I don't know if I would consider it a loss just because he was more willing to do stupid things and risk himself to beat you. Racing is one thing, and I do it almost every valid chance I get, but I still wouldn't go blasting through traffic doing it, and I wave off if traffic is even remotely thick. Next time, just wait till there's some open road ahead, then own his ***.
You're right, and that's a good way to look at it.
Old 04-13-2002, 07:30 PM

suspension upgrade

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd
My friend has a 2k2 SE-R Spec-V and I took out the aircleaner, and ran a 15.31@91. Not too shabby if you ask me.
thats why when you talk to a new maxima owner. my new max has all new stillen upgrades in handling- springs,front strut tow bars, rear sway bars. I DARE ANY SPEC FLY SENTRA TO WHIZZ AROUND ME. I will pull hard and out handle;it's all about $$dollars
pics are available
rwbro719@aol.com
Old 04-13-2002, 07:40 PM

Me 3 Kloogy! Gonna make a track stop on 4/17 to see what I can do. My ol 87 lx stang 5sp best was 14.4 @ 99 with only a air baffle removal and this car feels stonger to me! I walked on a 99/00 m3 Fri nite.
BTW do u know if a b-pipe for the 01 will fit our car? Did you see the friggin crimp in that sucker (sure you did when you put yer exhaust on) I mean that made me cough. It has gotta go!
Thanks -- SS
l8tr
Old 04-14-2002, 07:06 AM

Yeah, but its no Integra Type R which can run upper 14s stock.

nc00max, I totally agree with your post.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:24 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

So what youre saying is I should be afraid of an Intrgra Type R.. First of all,, every Integra in Southern Clif has a TYPE - R logo... Even if it was a Type-r and Stock. I'll be a son of a ^*&% if I lose to it ! Are you kidding me. I read the magazines.. these guys pump 5000 dollar into these pieces of garb, just to get them into the HIGH 14's - 15's... If I spent 5000 on my 2K2 SE, I would get a 75 Shot and still have $$ Left over to go get BUZZED after I smoked that piece of sushi !
Old 04-14-2002, 10:36 PM

Well you cant buy a Type R for 13,000 bones either...
Old 04-14-2002, 11:13 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Well you cant buy a Type R for 13,000 bones either...
My neighbor smoked a local Type - R with exhaust with an 89 Mustang LX with just 4.10 gears which cost him 400.00 installed...and a flowmaster exhaust ..200.00 .. talk about a bang for the buck... they funniest part.... his passenger laughed at the driver all the way !
Old 04-15-2002, 12:38 AM

My neighbor smoked a local Type - R with exhaust with an 89 Mustang LX with just 4.10 gears which cost him 400.00 installed...and a flowmaster exhaust ..200.00 .. talk about a bang for the buck... they funniest part.... his passenger laughed at the driver all the way !
Of course the Mustang has the advantage in a straight line... tell them to race in the twisties, then see what happens
Old 04-15-2002, 05:04 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: lost to a 2k2 SE-R

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
Then he cut into that tiny space and barely fit into it. The car on his right had to hard brake to let him in and when I caught up. These two cars were already right next to each other…..I lost. Goliath got a good butt kicked by agile David.
Or, how about "you're both stupid f*&ks for driving like that in traffic."

My wife just called the cops on someone driving just like that, and watched as the state cops pulled him over a few miles ahead. I told her she should have stopped and laughed in his face, but she just kept driving.

It's not just your life/health/property you're risking. Drive how you want on clear roads, but driving like this in conditions you described is stupid and dangerous.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:14 AM

So what youre saying is I should be afraid of an Intrgra Type R.. First of all,, every Integra in Southern Clif has a TYPE - R logo... Even if it was a Type-r and Stock. I'll be a son of a ^*&% if I lose to it ! Are you kidding me. I read the magazines.. these guys pump 5000 dollar into these pieces of garb, just to get them into the HIGH 14's - 15's... If I spent 5000 on my 2K2 SE, I would get a 75 Shot and still have $$ Left over to go get BUZZED after I smoked that piece of sushi !
I was referring to the real ITR, not ITR badged GSRs. I know I'm a Honda guy but an ITR raced correctly can takeout a 2K2 (stock vs stock). Unlike a SE-R, an ITR is a precision engineered performance coupe built to compete. And IF you pump $5G into an ITR, TRUST ME the only things to worry about ARE Z06s, Porsches and muscle cars. Until you've driven an ITR, don't knock them.
Old 04-15-2002, 06:07 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: lost to a 2k2 SE-R

I was about to say the same thing.

I can't count how many times i've almost been a statistic due to people driving around in traffic like it was the WRC or something.

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

Or, how about "you're both stupid f*&ks for driving like that in traffic."

My wife just called the cops on someone driving just like that, and watched as the state cops pulled him over a few miles ahead. I told her she should have stopped and laughed in his face, but she just kept driving.

It's not just your life/health/property you're risking. Drive how you want on clear roads, but driving like this in conditions you described is stupid and dangerous.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by F23A4

I was referring to the real ITR, not ITR badged GSRs. I know I'm a Honda guy but an ITR raced correctly can takeout a 2K2 (stock vs stock). Unlike a SE-R, an ITR is a precision engineered performance coupe built to compete. And IF you pump $5G into an ITR, TRUST ME the only things to worry about ARE Z06s, Porsches and muscle cars. Until you've driven an ITR, don't knock them.
Really??? So no need to worry about 300ZXTT, SupraTT, Rx-7TT, SCed Maximas, NSXs or any of the Japanese performance cars. This will be not thing compared to a ITC
BTW, I think we are talking about straight line 1/4 mile, not turns. I don't think the ITC will have an advantage there. Don't get me wrong, I think they are fast little cars, but you make it sound like they are invincible!
Old 04-16-2002, 12:18 AM

I think RX-7 only comes in TT....I doubt their 652 * 2 rotatry can do much without TT. prob turbo-ed cars can get a good start, but NA muscle will dominate the high end, for a 1/4 mile straight. running on twisties would be a different story

and SFmax, I doubt that SE-r was a spec-v

Originally posted by SFMax20SE

Really??? So no need to worry about 300ZXTT, SupraTT, Rx-7TT, SCed Maximas, NSXs or any of the Japanese performance cars. This will be not thing compared to a ITC
BTW, I think we are talking about straight line 1/4 mile, not turns. I don't think the ITC will have an advantage there. Don't get me wrong, I think they are fast little cars, but you make it sound like they are invincible!

thx NC00max, annimax, and F23a4
I thought the race would be done on that uphill, but...........