5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

MOMO E-Brake Finally !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by ohboiya
I thought he was a former Maxima owner ...

Yeah, I knew that, but what's with all the criticism...sheesh!!
Old 04-24-2002, 10:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

:thewall: dare I say this?

maybe it's PMS?

Originally posted by max34

Yeah, I knew that, but what's with all the criticism...sheesh!!
Old 04-24-2002, 10:50 AM

...Maxima withdrawl.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by max34
...Maxima withdrawl.
actually, i'm here to prevent people from spending their money on stupid crap that doesn't do anything....eh, I'm a performance nut... Function over Fashion. Plus, when someone wishes to shout out how hondas are somehow lesser than every other car because of outrageous rear spoilers and stupid mods...i tend to point out the irony involved in such critism.

The beauty of forums is that they are designed to allow people to voice opinions.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:19 PM

write up?

is there a write up for installing this anywhere yet??? i would like to do this just wanna know how!
Old 04-24-2002, 12:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hanskloss wrote me an email. He will post a write up soon. Meanwhile, he told me it very basic. Just rip the OEM handle and follow direction. I'll be installing mine this weekend. I already loosened up the OEM handle. It's kind of PITA. You have to grab it and try to rotate back and forth while pulling it out.
More to come
Nik
Old 04-26-2002, 10:29 AM

Installed mine lst night. It's very simple. Just take off fugly OEM handle. You have to really pull this one. The lower part of the handle had to be broken off. After that just follow direction from MOMO.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:31 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by NikaL
Installed mine lst night. It's very simple. Just take off fugly OEM handle. You have to really pull this one. The lower part of the handle had to be broken off. After that just follow direction from MOMO.
Pics?
Old 04-26-2002, 10:36 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=114377

This is the link to my GD that I have going on!
Old 04-26-2002, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Driven EF9

The beauty of forums is that they are designed to allow people to voice opinions.
touche
Old 04-26-2002, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Pics?
Soon, once I get a hold of a digital camera. I'll have to email them. I don't know how to post them.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:16 AM

so we are talking about two pieces being taken off....the handle and the plastic cover on the bottom and then cover it with brake boots?

thx

Soon, once I get a hold of a digital camera. I'll have to email them. I don't know how to post them.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:38 PM

Ok, I just installed my Momo E-Brake handle and MOMO boot. hanskloss's, boot is definatly different then the momo boot I got, the momo I have sucks and is not designed to fit on the car AT ALL . I bought teh boot in the link provided early in the thread. By some miracle and a ton of custom work I managed to get it on in one form or another, the MOMO boot is to long and it is not nearly wide enough, the velcro supplied would not even stick to any surface. I'm really pi$$ed of right now about this, could someone please post a pic of the boot they used and were you got it from, thanks..

BTW the bottom plastic piece does not have to be "broken off", there is a screw in there that you can unscrew, once it's unscrewed that piece can come off. Also the factory E-Brake handle comes off much easier if you heat it up first, I used my heat gun and then slid it off. I can go back to stock if I want to now since I did not break anything.

Damn momo boot
Old 04-26-2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
so we are talking about two pieces being taken off....the handle and the plastic cover on the bottom and then cover it with brake boots?

thx

Correct. Plastic cover is bolted on and you'll have to take off whole middle section if you want to save it. I broke it off. Just be careful not to damege the rubber around it.
Also if anyone is looking into carbon fiber handle, I have to say I was disappointed. CF part looks really fake. Just bunch of black and silver squares. I was expecting something more for $80. But I think it's still much better looking than OEM
Old 04-26-2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

thx

No sir just the top handle has to be taken off, the bottom portion stays (unless you want to take it off but why, it will take longer that way) than once you got it off it is just a small metal pipe with the e-brake realese button inside, put some rubber hose (ace hardware, home depot) over it I used the old handle cover that I took off, I just adjusted/cut it a bit (hence no going back) and there you go put the new MOMO ebrake cover with the leather boot on and tighten the screws (not too hard or they will brake when you pull on the handle) and you are done
Old 04-26-2002, 02:43 PM

Correct. Plastic cover is bolted on and you'll have to take off whole middle section if you want to save it. I broke it off. Just be careful not to damege the rubber around it.
You can use a "L" shaped screw driver to get the little screw off, it was a PITA to do but it did come off. Also please take a look at my last post which is right above your post, you probably missed it becuase we posted at the same time.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by hanskloss

No sir just the top handle has to be taken off, the bottom portion stays (unless you want to take it off but why, it will take longer that way) than once you got it off it is just a small metal pipe with the e-brake realese button inside, put some rubber hose (ace hardware, home depot) over it I used the old handle cover that I took off, I just adjusted/cut it a bit (hence no going back) and there you go put the new MOMO ebrake cover with the leather boot on and tighten the screws (not too hard or they will brake when you pull on the handle) and you are done
I think you missed my post too becuase we posted at the same time I really need to know what kind of boot you used and why the heck mine is different.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by emax95

I think you missed my post too becuase we posted at the same time I really need to know what kind of boot you used and why the heck mine is different.
I used a Honda Boot. It's little long and velcro was useless. But i just tuck in and it looks ok.

How did you fixed the handle? Looks like there is only one screw actually holding it. I'm getting a metal peace to wrap around the inside metal ebrake part.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:20 PM

BTW the bottom plastic piece does not have to be "broken off", there is a screw in there that you can unscrew, once it's unscrewed that piece can come off. Also the factory E-Brake handle comes off much easier if you heat it up first, I used my heat gun and then slid it off. I can go back to stock if I want to now since I did not break anything.

Damn momo boot
You can go back to stock? Sweeeeet! Pics PLEEEEEASE.

BTW, did yours come with a polished button also? I've seen some with it and some withOUT it. If so, does it just slide over the stock button?
Old 04-26-2002, 08:42 PM

You can go back to stock? Sweeeeet! Pics PLEEEEEASE.

BTW, did yours come with a polished button also? I've seen some with it and some withOUT it. If so, does it just slide over the stock button?
Theres no polished button and I am going to have to find some batery for my digi cam.

I think I used the honda boot too, that's what I ordered anyways. I ended taking out the litlle rubber piece and I used about 10 little screws to connect the boot to the rubber piece. That velcro really sucked, I have no idea what they were thinking when they included that crap with the kit. Anyhow the boot I got is totaly different looking then then hanskloss's boot, I am trying to figure out why His boot is like a relaxed fit mine is a less flexible material.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:18 PM

Theres no polished button and I am going to have to find some batery for my digi cam.
I wonder why ALL the pictures show one then.

That's gotta look like crap having the plastic button stick out. I guess I'm just being picky, but for $130 dammmmn.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:00 PM

I wonder why ALL the pictures show one then.

That's gotta look like crap having the plastic button stick out. I guess I'm just being picky, but for $130 dammmmn.
Well the handle is black with glossy aluminum so a black release button looks just fine. I would amagine all the push buttons are different in size so the chances on momo selling a universal one that fit's is unlikely.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:29 PM

Well the handle is black with glossy aluminum so a black release button looks just fine. I would amagine all the push buttons are different in size so the chances on momo selling a universal one that fit's is unlikely.
Yeah, but mine is GREY, so it doesn't match as well.

I mocked one up when I first got my car and the button looks cheesy sticking through, but then again I would probably only notice it.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:36 AM

hank ... which boot did you end up getting?

Old 04-27-2002, 01:30 AM

doesn't leatherseats.com have a ebrake cover we can get instead of the momo one? try that one with the momo handle since it's supposedly designed for the 5th gen and should fit much better.
as for the handle, it seems to be a standard push-button type. is there anything special about the momo that makes it work?
Old 04-29-2002, 01:43 PM

Request for Help

I have purchased the same MOMO handle and boot along with Honda adapter. I cannot get the original factory handle off and currently have destroyed its finish. How does the thing come off?? Any help would be greatly appreciated on this install.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:57 AM

Re: Request for Help

hey k-wheels: I will post a DIY guide after I receive the kit...prob soon next week. somebody tried to heatgun the handle and then take it off...wonder if that would work for ya. good luck

Originally posted by killrwheels
I have purchased the same MOMO handle and boot along with Honda adapter. I cannot get the original factory handle off and currently have destroyed its finish. How does the thing come off?? Any help would be greatly appreciated on this install.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:35 AM

Re: Request for Help

Originally posted by killrwheels
What I did was take a rag,place it over the handle so I wouldn't mess it up or scratch it. The take a pair of adjustable pliers and squeeze the handle slightly.There's a line where the two parts meet.You have the handle part and the other part that is supposed to be the boot part(also plastic).Place the pliers slightly above that line and with your other hand pull the handle straight out. This way you dont destroy the original handle should you choose to put it back on. Leave the plastic boot part on. The instructions they give you shows that you should put the velcro on the outside of the consel,the velcro down the leather boot. THAT SH-- DON'T WORK! So what I did was tuck the leather boot into the slot where the e-brake handle comes out of. Don't remove that rubber piece that is in that slot. That helps the leather boot stay in. Hopefully this helps, e-mail mme if you have any ?'s. Also don't over tighten the screws when you put the new handle on or you'll break it. I broke one of the holes where the screw goes in. Thank God it was on the side and didn't affect how the handle goes on!
Old 05-03-2002, 08:47 PM

the heat gun worked wonders. Unfortunately I already destroyed the original handle with my vice grips! It looks nice, fits well, and will make me and any other owner happier. Now if only I could find a chrome lighter that fits Nissans dash.
Old 06-07-2002, 06:19 PM

If the button is a different color such as mine (brown) can't you just paint it??? You think the brown would show thru? How many coats should I use? Anyone tried this??
Old 08-28-2002, 09:20 AM

Re: Re: MOMO E-Brake Finally !!!

Originally posted by ohboiya
**** ... that looks good!

Can you list prices for the handle and the boot seperately?

Tkx!

Old 08-28-2002, 09:22 AM

Re: MOMO E-Brake Finally !!!

So Finally I installed the Momo Aluminum E-brake handle, there is no going back to stock after this one. I have to say that the install was pretty easy and took about an hour or two. If you decide to go for it just make sure you get the rubber adaptor from momo, I bought the honda one since there wasn't one for nissan and it works fine. If anybody wants I can do a "how to " instructions later. And check out my page with new wheels as well, H&R springs are on their way so the car will be on the floor soon.
WHERE DID YOU BUY YOUR ALUMINUM DASK KIT FROM AND HOW MUCH???? I NEED THEM ASAP ..ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED...I SEEN THEM ON A MAX IN MY HOOD AND I LOVE THE S^IT