5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Are all TSB's Limited to 3yr/36k???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 06:00 AM

Are all TSB's Limited to 3yr/36k???

Are dealers only obligated to provide service on a TSB within 3yr/36k or does it depend on the nature of the TSB?
Old 04-19-2002, 06:46 AM
BuddyWh

Re: Are all TSB's Limited to 3yr/36k???

Originally posted by JohnNixon
Are dealers only obligated to provide service on a TSB within 3yr/36k or does it depend on the nature of the TSB?
A TSB is not the same as a recall so dealer's are not obligated at all to provide service on a TSB at no charge to you.

A Technical Service Bulletin is a notice sent out to Nissan service departments describing a common problem and a fix that has been found to work. If your car is affected and has the problem they pay for fixing it only if warranty is still in effect, otherwise you pay.

Sometimes a mfr. will find a problem so bad and common they extend warranty coverage for it. GM was famous for giving these "secret" warranties in the days of 12mo/12,000 mile warranties back in the 70's. But you had to know one existed, take it to the dealer and ask for the repair.

Buddywh

Old 04-19-2002, 07:51 AM

Re: Re: Are all TSB's Limited to 3yr/36k???

Thanks for the info Buddywh.

I'm looking specifically at TSB NTB01-018 (Manual Transmission - on/off throttle sensitivity).

Since the fix for this is a new program to the ECU...does anyone think this would be covered by warranty after 3yr/36k?

This is a grey area I think. The fix is a software solution, it's not actually a malfunctioning part.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Are all TSB's Limited to 3yr/36k???

I'm looking specifically at TSB NTB01-018 (Manual Transmission - on/off throttle sensitivity).

Since the fix for this is a new program to the ECU...does anyone think this would be covered by warranty after 3yr/36k?

This is a grey area I think. The fix is a software solution, it's not actually a malfunctioning part.
Even if it's not it's only $40-50 bucks or so. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting it done if you've got a 2K or 2K1.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:38 AM
BuddyWh

Hmmm... the "defect" is with the ECU's firmware, which is covered by the emissions control warranty, no? So I think it should be covered for the full 6/60, at least.

But if it's cheap, and such a good thing to do, I'd take it in and do it any way.

buddywh

Old 04-19-2002, 01:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Are all TSB's Limited to 3yr/36k???

arent engine and tranny are under 9 year warranty? correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by BuddyWh

A TSB is not the same as a recall so dealer's are not obligated at all to provide service on a TSB at no charge to you.

A Technical Service Bulletin is a notice sent out to Nissan service departments describing a common problem and a fix that has been found to work. If your car is affected and has the problem they pay for fixing it only if warranty is still in effect, otherwise you pay.

Sometimes a mfr. will find a problem so bad and common they extend warranty coverage for it. GM was famous for giving these "secret" warranties in the days of 12mo/12,000 mile warranties back in the 70's. But you had to know one existed, take it to the dealer and ask for the repair.

Buddywh
Old 04-19-2002, 04:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Are all TSB's Limited to 3yr/36k???

Originally posted by sleepermax

Even if it's not it's only $40-50 bucks or so. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting it done if you've got a 2K or 2K1.
I'd be happy to pay $40-$50 for this fix. But I can't see how my dealer charges $65 to get the f*ing diag code for me that they would do this re-program so cheap. I hate the dealer, so I was hoping for some factual angle I could take that would 'persuade' into being obligated to do it.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:19 PM
BuddyWh

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are all TSB's Limited to 3yr/36k???

I'd be happy to pay $40-$50 for this fix. But I can't see how my dealer charges $65 to get the f*ing diag code for me that they would do this re-program so cheap. I hate the dealer, so I was hoping for some factual angle I could take that would 'persuade' into being obligated to do it.
Hey, I hear ya. If yours is still under the 6/60k warranty by all means take it in and expect the service at no charge.

By the way... if I have the SES light on and a code set my dealer will read the code and reset the light for free. When I did it the first time I asked if this is only while it's under the 3/36k and he said anytime. I was wondering if it was due to pollution control warranties and changing laws in Texas this year. They won't renew safety inspection if the SES light is on or a code is set- and they won't clear it.

But then it could also be just because it gives them a chance to sell you a repair!

BuddyWh

Old 04-19-2002, 07:33 PM

As a LOOONG time service department employee (currently a Toyota ASM) I will (and do) tell it like it is. TSB's are covered as any other warranty concern. If it's a covered repair under the 3/36 comprehensive warranty while the vehicle is under warranty then that is the coverage of the TSB, if it's under the 5/60 powertrain the same applies and the same with 8/80 emissions. Now with that being said another issue MAY arise and it's called goodwill and that's EXACTLY what it is. If you have brought to the service departments attention this concern prior to the end of the warranty period and no problem was evident or found and you have a record (as well as they should at the servicing dealer) you MAY receive a "goodwill" adjustment. This of course is not owed but is taken in to consideration of a customer who is loyal to the dealer, product line or has had many visit's re: this concern. Hope this helps.
l8tr -- SS
Old 04-19-2002, 07:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are all TSB's Limited to 3yr/36k???

Originally posted by BuddyWh

Hey, I hear ya. If yours is still under the 6/60k warranty by all means take it in and expect the service at no charge.

By the way... if I have the SES light on and a code set my dealer will read the code and reset the light for free. When I did it the first time I asked if this is only while it's under the 3/36k and he said anytime. I was wondering if it was due to pollution control warranties and changing laws in Texas this year. They won't renew safety inspection if the SES light is on or a code is set- and they won't clear it.

But then it could also be just because it gives them a chance to sell you a repair!

BuddyWh
This is a quality organization who values the oportunity to obtain your business and my advice is to support them as they are far and few between. We will do the same for "our" customers at the dealer I work for. I have seen many times a customer bring in a vehicle for a "check" and get info from HIGHLY trained people and then take and have repaired elsewhere. Sometimes cheaper is not!
thx -- SS
l8tr
Old 04-20-2002, 06:48 AM
BuddyWh

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are all TSB's Limited to 3yr/36k???

Originally posted by ssiperko

This is a quality organization who values the oportunity to obtain your business and my advice is to support them as they are far and few between. We will do the same for "our" customers at the dealer I work for. I have seen many times a customer bring in a vehicle for a "check" and get info from HIGHLY trained people and then take and have repaired elsewhere. Sometimes cheaper is not!
thx -- SS
l8tr
Errr... well.... while I do appreciate them reading & clearing the codes and the opportunity to discuss what might be wrong and how to fix it with somebody that has immediate access to TSB's and factory training, I would have to disagree they necessarily do quality work.

They may be highly trained and well equipped, but the application of that training is at best an if-fy proposition. In my experience.

BuddyWh