5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Maxima Quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 12:30 AM

good so far

I've got about 2950 miles, bought it 11/30/01. No problems except for a few interior rattles on the right side (not sure where it's coming from) and lots of paint chips. I ended up getting a clear bra to minimize the chance of getting more.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:19 AM

1800 miles, no probs.

Had one paint chip, touched it up and polished it. Got a clear bra a week after I got my car. No further chips. NONE.

I had brake shudder and bad braking for the first 300 or so miles, and the tranny sucked bigtime for the first 1200 miles, but now...
I can stop on a dime with no vibration (I think it was my stock wheels/tires) and my tranny is shifting smoooooooth as silk. YES really! My clutch has much more feel to it as well and my engine pulls OH so hard! yeah =)

Best car I've ever owned.

Edit: BTW I've driven the living crap out of it every day since I've hit 1000 miles. Puts a big smile on my face every time.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the responses, I now own a 2002 SE and love it so far.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: 2002 Maxima Quality

Originally posted by ajahearn

December manufactur date. Picked up 12/17th. Troubles to date, paint on wheels (which another posting has shown to be simply markings for balancing) they easily came off (never noticed when I picked up the car). Couple of minor scratches in leather (but I have kids and that easily be the problem). 3800+ miles and I'm no slouch when it comes to pushing hard (see my posting where I held out well against a MB430). I do have one paint chip on the hood but I have had a few occasions of following behind someone I obviously should not have. I have everything but NAV and HLSD. Compared to my 89SE this is easily a step above. If you want details, please send me email. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, how did you remove the paint from the wheel (I too freaked when I saw this after I had left the dealer! YIKES). Where are you located?

Thanks,
Richard
2002 SE
Old 01-27-2003, 09:04 AM

Paint Quality Sucks..and various *****ing.

Ok..I KNOW this has come up too many times to count...But I just had to mention it again...The paint quality on 5th gen black Max's is absolutely horrible. I previously had an American car with black paint...2 years and 62K miles and 1 rock chip on the hood. I've got too many to count on the Max...and it's ****ing me off.

And did I mention that here in the midwest, the Maxima suddenly becomes a 3200 lb sled when there is more than an inch of snow on the ground? I've had 2 accidents because of the poor traction/sliding habits of the car...Thankfully, just fender benders, but still..It ****es me off to no end.

I'll be selling it soon...I'm done with the Maxima.

Sorry...Just had to vent while we were on the quality topic

Trevor
Old 01-27-2003, 09:08 AM
jjs

Re: Paint Quality Sucks..and various *****ing.

Originally posted by Trev_Daddy
Ok..I KNOW this has come up too many times to count...But I just had to mention it again...The paint quality on 5th gen black Max's is absolutely horrible. I previously had an American car with black paint...2 years and 62K miles and 1 rock chip on the hood. I've got too many to count on the Max...and it's ****ing me off.

And did I mention that here in the midwest, the Maxima suddenly becomes a 3200 lb sled when there is more than an inch of snow on the ground? I've had 2 accidents because of the poor traction/sliding habits of the car...Thankfully, just fender benders, but still..It ****es me off to no end.

I'll be selling it soon...I'm done with the Maxima.

Sorry...Just had to vent while we were on the quality topic

Trevor
I hear ya' with the paint, but what tires are you running to have had 2 accidents? When it comes to those, if you are still running the RE92's or some kind of 'summer' tire, this is not a quality issue with the car.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:27 AM

Re: Re: Paint Quality Sucks..and various *****ing.

Nitto 450 Extreme. They are all season rated, but clearly not a snow tire. However, I would expect that the car would handle better with all season tires (and not the stock potenza's).

Trevor

Originally posted by jjs

I hear ya' with the paint, but what tires are you running to have had 2 accidents? When it comes to those, if you are still running the RE92's or some kind of 'summer' tire, this is not a quality issue with the car.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:35 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Paint Quality Sucks..and various *****ing.

Originally posted by Trev_Daddy
Nitto 450 Extreme. They are all season rated, but clearly not a snow tire. However, I would expect that the car would handle better with all season tires (and not the stock potenza's).

Trevor

I would say, having researched them, that there are enough bad reviews for me to never run those tires.

For instance, check out how many negative comments were here:

http://www.carreview.com/Tires/Nitto...8_1577crx.aspx
Old 01-27-2003, 09:49 AM
OG and counting...

Bought '02 SE on 3/29/02 and....

a) Paint Chips, Paint Chips, and more Paint Chips
b) Mysterious clunking noise when going over certain bumps (went away when the transverse link recall was done)
c) Hood flutter at highway speeds that will not go away even when the TSB is applied
d) Cracked Wind Deflector (Still on backorder)
e) Grit in the fuel filler door (The TSB will not apply for the '02s)
f) Wind Noise even after the TSB is applied
g) Mirrors vibrating at higher speeds
h) Had to replace Non-Bose head unit
i) Had to replace rotors because they got barbequed

Outside of those, I have had to deal with the crappy blow-tenzas in snow.

But do I like my car. Yep.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:34 PM

I have about 6300 miles on my 02 and bought it August 2002. Mine has been in for:

(1) Rotors - Cut within first week and first 75 miles on the odo
(2) Ignition locked out - Key wouldn't turn in ignition. Car had to be towed to dealer and ignition was replaced (dealer did pay for everything including rental for almost 2 weeks)
(3) Dim SES - Had dealer replace cluster while car was in for ignition.

Still need to get fogged headlights taken car of at dealer. (Waiting to see if a TSB comes out), debating on hood flutter issue.

I have a 97 SE that in 5+ years was at the dealer less times for non-maintenance items. I still love the 02 max, but I can see where they cheapened things up fromthe 4th gen.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm at 11,500 miles and no problems except the sunroof wind deflector that cracked and was replaced with a new (and improved) deflector under warranty.

I don't seem to have had the same rattle and wind noise problems that others have had. I'm happy so far and it's my first Nissan.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:13 PM

I'm at 7600 miles. I've had this car since Feb 02 and the 2 items I took it back for was the cracked wind deflector and the control arm recall. I have noticed tiny little pin ***** chips on the hood but my other vehicle has it too(Honda). Actually I just remembered I had a tire balance problem that I let the dealership fix once. They made it better but did not completely fix. Since I don't like tying my car up for the day I just went to Sam's Club and paid them to balance the tires. It runs great now.