5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

WRX kill

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 07:19 AM

WRX kill

Killed him from the stop light with my Maxspeeds and RSB still in the trunk. He had "14.2" white-shoe polished on his windows - obv, .25 mile. Must've spent Monday (import night) at the track. Still, this thirty-somethings mid-life crisis had no low-end torque. Made me glad I didn't settle for the smaller car. A year ago it was my first choice until I drove and then bought the Max for $4000 less.

I also tried to give a polite wave at the next light and he wouldn't even turn his head. Must've been preocupied by the load he dropped in his pants.

Killing is fun; accidently did it with my girlfriend and her friend in the car last week against another Max. They freaked and hollered, "What DO YOU THINK you're doing?" I didn't even know. Seriously, I couldn't help it. New-found instinct? Oh well.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:32 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hehehe... you're lucky he didn't launch like he did on the 14.2 run.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Hehehe... you're lucky he didn't launch like he did on the 14.2 run.
True. But I think they are still slow of the line until they spool up and keep the revs over 3500. What's your quarter?
Old 04-24-2002, 07:41 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by noflash

True. But I think they are still slow of the line until they spool up and keep the revs over 3500. What's your quarter?
With the launch, he'll be well past 3500.

No quarter yet.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:50 AM

With the launch, he'll be well past 3500.

No quarter yet.
When you say "launch" you mean holding the RPM way high and sidestepping the clutch?

From the stop light seemed I got the jump b/c of his turbo lag. I even had enough room to take his lane. Must've been pilot error on his part.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah if he launched properly, there's no way you could beat him off the line. Heard WRX's can pull off 1.9 or better 60ft.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:00 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

When you say "launch" you mean holding the RPM way high and sidestepping the clutch?

From the stop light seemed I got the jump b/c of his turbo lag. I even had enough room to take his lane. Must've been pilot error on his part.
Yup... RPM way up high. WRX's are all wheel drive so they can shoot out from a stop. Front wheel drive cars can't do this.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:20 AM

hmmm...

Wicked little car, I know. But SO little. Five years ago, I could've put up with it, but I need my space now.
Trouble is Max is so big and fast I don't know what my next car will be. 540 w/sport package seems obv but it's smaller too. 7 series - no man. tran. Will the 6th gen be the answer? Who knows? I am glad to be stuck in my Max. It's juuuuust right! ('cept for a mod here and there)
Old 04-24-2002, 09:01 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Yup... RPM way up high. WRX's are all wheel drive so they can shoot out from a stop...
Sniff Sniff...what do I smell... oh yeah... a burnt clutch....he he he he.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:09 AM

yeah, he wasn't even trying i would guess. u have to rev up to 5k-5.5k rmps and the slightly slip the clutch to get the best launch out of those things.

my buddy w/ a 2002 m3 raced one yesterday and we only started to slowly walk away from him after 1st gear. those things are pretty damn quick off the line but no top end.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:57 AM

Re: WRX kill

some people confuse racing with just going...WrX will hand u ur ***..all day long...
Old 04-24-2002, 11:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: hmmm...

Wicked little car, I know. But SO little. Five years ago, I could've put up with it, but I need my space now.
Trouble is Max is so big and fast I don't know what my next car will be. 540 w/sport package seems obv but it's smaller too. 7 series - no man. tran. Will the 6th gen be the answer? Who knows? I am glad to be stuck in my Max. It's juuuuust right! ('cept for a mod here and there)
good kill..
but you sure it was a WRX? and not just a NA Impreza? they look the same except for the hood scoop...
Old 04-24-2002, 11:08 AM

Re: Re: WRX kill

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
some people confuse racing with just going...WrX will hand u ur ***..all day long...
except for yesterday...
Old 04-24-2002, 11:26 AM

Re: Re: hmmm...

Originally posted by irvine78

good kill..
but you sure it was a WRX? and not just a NA Impreza? they look the same except for the hood scoop...
Had 14.2 on window - sounds right for WRX. Car & Driver did it in 14.1. Could've been an automatic, but seems to quick for one. I know that car is faster; I think the guy fudged his 1st to 2nd shift or wasn't hitting his redline. We came of the line at the same time, but I pulled away soon after. He could've had a freakin Ferrari and fudged his quick shifting - I would posted that too and ILoveMyMax would still post to make sure I knew a Ferrari was faster.

Just a story - I'm not delusional, just eager to embarass with my GXE.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: hmmm...

Had 14.2 on window - sounds right for WRX. Car & Driver did it in 14.1. Could've been an automatic, but seems to quick for one. I know that car is faster; I think the guy fudged his 1st to 2nd shift or wasn't hitting his redline. We came of the line at the same time, but I pulled away soon after. He could've had a freakin Ferrari and fudged his quick shifting - I would posted that too and ILoveMyMax would still post to make sure I knew a Ferrari was faster.

so the correct post would be "I beat the driver of a Wrx" not that u "killed the car" no flames just i love those cars
Old 04-24-2002, 11:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: WRX kill

except for yesterday...
Ain't that the truth! If he missed second, screwed up the launch...that was his problem...if you beat him, you beat him. Congratulations.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: WRX kill

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Ain't that the truth! If he missed second, screwed up the launch...that was his problem...if you beat him, you beat him. Congratulations.
TESTIFY!
Old 04-24-2002, 01:55 PM

nice shot who cares what a WRXs time is in the qt if ya beat him ya beat him but i do know a guy where i live that has one running 11's i wont even think about racing him
Old 04-24-2002, 02:40 PM

guy i know has a impreza 2.5rs and wants to race me real bad. i'm going to take him on when we get back from college and can go to the track. from what i've heard, he'll hole shot the bejesus out of me (6k clutch dump with no wheelspin) and i shoul;d pass him by 40-45 mph. now, the WRX has a lot more horspower with its 2L turbo engine. and subaru can get some torque out of the little engines. A WRX ->should<- hand a non 2k2 max its rear all day. but I have seen manuals mis shifts and lose to much worse cars. Congrats on the kill, but be careful the next round.

But even if you do lose to another one, just look at it this way... that car is so ugly, feeel sorry for the guy driving it...
Old 04-24-2002, 02:53 PM

i killed a porsche turbo in my 91 SE-R

I got a better launch, and he still tried catching me. ALmost did then he got too scared to being going so fast. probably wouldhave caught me after 115mph. Those dudes looked shocked.
OH this SE-R is nowhere near stock.
Old 04-24-2002, 02:55 PM

I raced one just not too long ago, going approx 30 mph and I knew my car will pull on him at that speed. And it did pull a car lenght. But I know from a dead stop, he would easily take me...What's the WRX web site? One of the passangers was video recording it, so I wanna see maybe that video is on their board, but I doubt he would post such a loss.
Old 04-24-2002, 04:19 PM

If his time was 14.2 it had to be stick, and he had to be a good driver to get that. HE SIMPLY WAS NOT TRYING. My best friend has a stock wrx and I've seen him walk modified maximas off the line from from 2500rpms sooooooooooo easily.

If you want to embarass people with your gxe, make loose freeway traffic your race track. That way it's driving skills over engines and anything is possible.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:06 PM

plus i think this story is slightly fabricated, but, since i wasn't there...

A WRX will work your pretty stock GXE...unless he wasn't racing. Even a 2.3sec 60' from a WRX is still high 14s, with the beating you're indicating, it seemed much worse.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:04 PM

was this a new owner? was he going soft on initial take off? He'll lose then!
Was it an AUTO?I think a 2k2 6speed would leave quickly then the wrx catches up with boost; after 80mph it would be fair game.
regardless i am ready for the mits lancer evo7 coming to stores near everyone in 2004
I stopped all mods from here on out and will get one.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:22 PM

hehe...i want the story to be true..i don't care...
but i don't think WRX comes with automagic tranny period...but then, i could be wrong..
Old 04-25-2002, 03:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: hmmm...

Originally posted by irvine78

hehe...i want the story to be true..i don't care...
but i don't think WRX comes with automagic tranny period...but then, i could be wrong..
The WRXs does come auto. I was at the dealer and they had a few autos. My friend and I test drove the 5sp and let me say that the car made a funny clunking noise ( could've been the 5K clutch dump )
Old 04-25-2002, 05:54 AM
Administrator

i never knew it was so hard to take shoe polish and write numbers on yoru window.. you guys wern't at the track.. how do you know that WRX is actually a 14.2 car.. give the guy a break..

good kill
Old 04-25-2002, 08:33 AM

I drove a WRX and it was everything I expected, major turbo lag until 3000 rpm. Then it really wakes up. To get the most performance out of it, you have to burn your clutch and stress your driveleine. I don't think WRX owners are gonna do that day in and day out. In fact, the WRX was my friends, and he got ****ed when I revved the clutch Then, when he drove, he, of course, did major power launches. What was funny though, he threw the car into a curve to show off the AWD, but the revs got below turbo boost, so he didn't quite power out of the curve as he wanted to

With a Maxima, you can push the car hard very easily without too much concern of illing a clutch or tranny. Yeah, even thought we have tranny issues, it's not a burn-out issue. Just bearings.

DW
Old 04-25-2002, 09:13 AM

so many suspicions...

Jeez! It was so fun - this little race. Honestly, I would've enjoyed it no matter the outcome. I just thought I'd share it. I hear some interesting chatter on the subject, but please don't accuse me of fabrication. Kills the buzz. And you guys are right, you weren't there. Seemed like he was trying to me - but who cares? I'm just trying to enjoy the ride, just try not to rain to much on my parade.

On another note, I am gettting my Maxspeeds and a Catt RSB installed tomorrow. I will post some before-and-after pics soon after, so no one thinks I'm lying.

Take it light, all.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:46 AM
TCm

Re: WRX kill

Killed him from the stop light with my Maxspeeds and RSB still in the trunk. He had "14.2" white-shoe polished on his windows - obv, .25 mile. <snip>
I had 14.0 written on my window when I came back from the track.

Ok, so it was for AutoX and not a dragstrip.

OK, OK! It was really just my car number (140) and I added the dot between 14 and 0. But my point is still valid... isn't it?
Old 04-26-2002, 05:10 PM

crazy

This is really a funny coincidence, but when I was picking up my car from the shop (Maxspeeds, see other thread) I met the guy in THAT WRX!

Hey said, "Did you race a black WRX by Creighton last week?" He said he couldn't believe he got beat, he must've been asleep. He said it was the first time he'd lost. He had a cat-back sys already and was there getting a bigger turbocharger and a 4" downpipe. He said this was all ordered b/f we raced. I believe him. He was this fifty year-old guy having a self-proclaimed mid-life crises. He said this was the first new car he had bought in 22 years and was driving an Accord.
This is his car on the rack at the shop. Check out the pipe running where the fogs used to be.