5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Borbet Type R & BF Goodrich KDWS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 03:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Borbet Type R & BF Goodrich KDWS

Anyone have either of these wheels or tires on a 5th gen? I'm thinking of placing an order with Tirerack for the 17 X 8 Borbet with 235-45-17 tires all season tires. Any comments for or against? I'd ideally LIKE an 18" wheel, but lose the ability to run either the BF Goodrich KDWS or Potenza RE 950 (not to be confused with 092s!!) for year round capabilities. Man this rim shopping sucks! There are so many nice looking, albeit cost-prohibitive rims out there! Just looking for opinions, you can find the rim in the wheel section of tirerack.com and thanks in advance!
Old 04-29-2002, 05:18 PM

Go with summer tire and winter tire!

Are you going to keep your Borbets on the car during the winter? Why not put high performance summer tires on them and put snow tires on the rims you have now? I think you can get better 3-season dry and wet performance than just about any all-season tire.
I went with the BF Goodrich KDW on my Konigs, and next winter I'll reinstall the stock 17s with Potenzas or some 15s I have with snows.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:16 PM

Re: Go with summer tire and winter tire!

Originally posted by ru4real
Are you going to keep your Borbets on the car during the winter? Why not put high performance summer tires on them and put snow tires on the rims you have now? I think you can get better 3-season dry and wet performance than just about any all-season tire.
I went with the BF Goodrich KDW on my Konigs, and next winter I'll reinstall the stock 17s with Potenzas or some 15s I have with snows.
Thanks for the opinion, I just may go with that thought, ideally I don't want to have a compromise all season tire unless its the Michellin Pilot A/S and they are just too damn expensive! Can you tell me what you paid for your rims and tires? Also any thoughts on the BF Goodrich KDW vs. Dunlop SP 9000s/ Both are in similar price ranges on tirerack.com. Again, thanks for the thoughts!
Old 04-30-2002, 08:27 AM

I've got the 16" Type T's. Just a bit disappointed with the weight, but looks more than make up. I decided on Pirelli's though, good in rain. Doesn't snow much in the DC area.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by pjandres
I've got the 16" Type T's. Just a bit disappointed with the weight, but looks more than make up. I decided on Pirelli's though, good in rain. Doesn't snow much in the DC area.
Hmmm, are they that much heavier than stock? I'd like to have the damn SSR GT1 or GT3 but can't swing $500 a F'n tire! Maybe I'll check into some Enkey or Konig designs to see if I can keep unsprung weight increases to a minimum. Any reason you decided not to increase rim size? Just wondering, thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-2002, 09:04 AM

Re: Re: Go with summer tire and winter tire!

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever

Thanks for the opinion, I just may go with that thought, ideally I don't want to have a compromise all season tire unless its the Michellin Pilot A/S and they are just too damn expensive! Can you tell me what you paid for your rims and tires? Also any thoughts on the BF Goodrich KDW vs. Dunlop SP 9000s/ Both are in similar price ranges on tirerack.com. Again, thanks for the thoughts!
I got a good deal on the rims from another Org member, $400 for the set, and I bought the tires from Tirerack for $151 each (I see the price is now $139 each!). I compared the survey results and buyer reviews of various tires before choosing. Also, BF Goodrich has a $50 mail-in rebate when you buy a set of 4 from Tirerack, and Michelin and Bridgestone have special promotions too. I had to pay about $100 to get my tires mounted and balanced, so you might save money getting both rims and tires from Tirerack since they do it for free.
If you still want all-season, have you looked at the Yokohama AVS dB in 18"? I've read good comments on the Org about it.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever

Hmmm, are they that much heavier than stock? I'd like to have the damn SSR GT1 or GT3 but can't swing $500 a F'n tire! Maybe I'll check into some Enkey or Konig designs to see if I can keep unsprung weight increases to a minimum. Any reason you decided not to increase rim size? Just wondering, thanks in advance!
Went with 16's because of your exact reason - expensive 17" tires! I know once I drop the car, they'll look even sweeter.