5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Synthetic oil....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 12:40 PM

Synthetic oil....

wich synthetic oil is best to use or at least in your opinion, im thinking of switching to synth. oil tommorow when i change my oil and im also thinking of going with valvoline wich is the curent regular oil i use... tell me what you guys think...
Old 05-01-2002, 12:41 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Uh Oh!

Old 05-01-2002, 12:46 PM

Re: Uh Oh!

Originally posted by Colonel
Uh oh! Too funny... it's the never-ending topic!

Good luck on trying to get a straight answer on this one.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:49 PM

hehe yeah every thing ive read so far is not ending...lol
Old 05-01-2002, 01:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by djPlayboy
hehe yeah every thing ive read so far is not ending...lol
Amsoil 5W-30
Old 05-01-2002, 01:43 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

I have no idea

This might help:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=100060
Old 05-01-2002, 02:41 PM

Re: Synthetic oil....

wich synthetic oil is best to use or at least in your opinion, im thinking of switching to synth. oil tommorow when i change my oil and im also thinking of going with valvoline wich is the curent regular oil i use... tell me what you guys think...
i was told Mobil 1. im tryin it out next oil change.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:12 PM

nissanmaximas tight ride if i had that body kit our cars would be twinkies hehe ne way also has ne one used the redline tranny oil
Old 05-02-2002, 06:55 PM

nissanmaximas tight ride if i had that body kit our cars would be twinkies hehe ne way also has ne one used the redline tranny oil
Yes, I've used their MT-90. In my opinion, Amsoil's better
Old 05-02-2002, 08:04 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Yes, I've used their MT-90. In my opinion, Amsoil's better
But....why? Have to add that to my next order...
Old 05-02-2002, 08:12 PM

thanks alot dood.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:07 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

But....why? Have to add that to my next order...
Jon,

Don't bother. I'm going with Redline 10W-40 next oil change. I'll let you know how I like it, but I don't expect anything drastic.

So far, I'm truely amazed at how well Redline holds up in the companys' mini-NASKART. We took second BTW.

You can't buy a better product. It is more expensive, but DEFINITELY worth it, IF you plan on keeping it for 100K+ or running a SC/NOS. I've seen multiple engine tear downs and NOTHING has held up and protected as well. That $hit is amazing!
Old 05-02-2002, 09:43 PM

as the thread turns....and never ends

thanks for the replys guys im changing my oil in the morn im proly using valvoline synth oil and redline tranny fluid and next oil chang ima try amsoil
Old 05-03-2002, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

So far, I'm truely amazed at how well Redline holds up in the companys' mini-NASKART. We took second BTW.

You can't buy a better product. It is more expensive, but DEFINITELY worth it, IF you plan on keeping it for 100K+ or running a SC/NOS. I've seen multiple engine tear downs and NOTHING has held up and protected as well. That $hit is amazing!
What kind of mileage was on the engines that were torn down, and how frequent were the oil changes? Were these engines for passenger cars or karts? It seems for cars, Amsoil has been holding up much better over the long haul than Redline. At least that's what the analysis data tends to back up. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=100060
Old 05-03-2002, 06:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm currently using Mobil 1 in my Max as I have had good experiences with it in my previous car (94 Z28). I had used the lab services to analyze the oil on those changes and it made me confident that I chose a decent oil.

A friend of mine sells the BG lubricants line of oil and he's trying to talk me into using it. Only problem is that I don't know anyone that has used it. Does anyone here have anything to say about BG Lubricants? Good or bad?

Albert

2k2 6spd
- the longer a wise man tries to convince a fool, the harder it becomes to tell them apart.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by akrus
I'm currently using Mobil 1 in my Max as I have had good experiences with it in my previous car (94 Z28). I had used the lab services to analyze the oil on those changes and it made me confident that I chose a decent oil.

A friend of mine sells the BG lubricants line of oil and he's trying to talk me into using it. Only problem is that I don't know anyone that has used it. Does anyone here have anything to say about BG Lubricants? Good or bad?

Albert

2k2 6spd
- the longer a wise man tries to convince a fool, the harder it becomes to tell them apart.
Always had good luck with BG stuff at the dealership. The only product I've tried personally is their synthetic gear oil called "syncro shift". It really helped the notchy shift prob.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:34 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Jon,

Don't bother. I'm going with Redline 10W-40 next oil change...
I am looking at something for the ol' tranny as my seems to be getting worse. I am going to change out the tranny fluid and see if I get better operation but I am bracing for a possible fight with Nissan to diagnose a possible slipping clutch during cold operation. Plus every once in a while i CANNOT disengage a gear. I hit the clutch and really have to tug on the shifter to get it to change gears.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:09 AM

I am looking at something for the ol' tranny as my seems to be getting worse. I am going to change out the tranny fluid and see if I get better operation but I am bracing for a possible fight with Nissan to diagnose a possible slipping clutch during cold operation. Plus every once in a while i CANNOT disengage a gear. I hit the clutch and really have to tug on the shifter to get it to change gears.
That's how mine has ALWAYS been.

It's probably a good idea to fight with Nissan BEFORE you change to synthetic.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:35 AM

That's how mine has ALWAYS been.

It's probably a good idea to fight with Nissan BEFORE you change to synthetic.
Hey, I've heard about his dealer- They probably wouldn't notice the synthetic! The BG stuff really helped mine, didn't fix it all the way, tho.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:42 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by DAVEB

Hey, I've heard about his dealer- They probably wouldn't ...
Oh...this is a Maxima....oh....
Old 05-03-2002, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by DAVEB

Hey, I've heard about his dealer- They probably wouldn't notice the synthetic! The BG stuff really helped mine, didn't fix it all the way, tho.
Isn't the color different? Red/Green Redline vs. stock brownish. If they don't notice that, I would go to another dealer.

I haven't heard about BG. I already have the MT-90, but I'm waiting to go to the dealer for clutch "issues" before I switch. I'm pretty sold on the Redline products.

I'll be posting my oil analysis lab results, but it will be awhile since I NEVER DRIVE THE ****!NG CAR.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:12 AM

Yeah, that happens to me every now and then. Sometimes i can't shift into 1st or reverse?
Old 05-03-2002, 11:45 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by TabbsMax
Yeah, that happens to me every now and then. Sometimes i can't shift into 1st or reverse?
Thats a little different that what I am experiencing. Almost all manuals I have driven have done that one occasion. Mine wont come OUT of the shift
Old 05-03-2002, 01:48 PM

Thats a little different that what I am experiencing. Almost all manuals I have driven have done that one occasion. Mine wont come OUT of the shift
Jon,

I just realized what your ACTUALLY talking about.

If your up for it, I would jack up the front of the car as HIGH as possible and check the linkage going from the shift lever to the transmission. You'll have to remove the heat shield to see the bottom of the shift lever assembly.

You may have something external to the transmission binding or bent from road debris. I would tug on the linkage from underneath to see if anything is suspicious and may need greased up such as any rotation points.

I know it's a pain in the ****, but I would rather do it BEFORE I let the jack @ss techs mess around with things.

BTW, you don't have a STS do you?
Old 05-03-2002, 02:48 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Jon,

I just realized what your ACTUALLY talking about.

If your up for it, I would jack up the front of the car as HIGH as possible and check the linkage going from the shift lever to the transmission. You'll have to remove the heat shield to see the bottom of the shift lever assembly.

You may have something external to the transmission binding or bent from road debris. I would tug on the linkage from underneath to see if anything is suspicious and may need greased up such as any rotation points.

I know it's a pain in the ****, but I would rather do it BEFORE I let the jack @ss techs mess around with things.

BTW, you don't have a STS do you?
Hmmm, iteresting thought. I might just do that this weekend among all my other car related main. to be done. Its not biggie to get under the car. Got some good wedding gifts to help me out! Craftsman jack stands, creeper, 3 ton lift....Make work a snap now! And registering at Sears was HER idea...he he he.

I dont have a STS, thought about it though.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:22 PM

I had to drive 2 hours just to get a ****ing gallon of Amsoil 5W-30... and the idiot gave me 0W-30 accidently and I went home with it... I have to go back tommorow morning.

Should I replace the filter with an amsoil while im at it? Which filter should I use.

Wheres a good place to get Redline Auto Tranny fluid.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:12 PM

Amsoil filters and Mobil 1 are both very good, probably equivalent (testing results: http://www.amsoil.com/products/sdf.html )

Amsoil filter # is SDF 13

You can have Amsoil oil, etc. shipped right to your door!

I can't help you with the redline, but Amsoil makes a good synthetic one too... http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html
Old 05-04-2002, 05:36 AM
Blu
the tits

why no k&n oil filter in that test??????//

Originally posted by Highlander
Amsoil filters and Mobil 1 are both very good, probably equivalent (testing results: http://www.amsoil.com/products/sdf.html )

I can't help you with the redline, but Amsoil makes a good synthetic one too... http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html
Old 05-04-2002, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by TRUblu2K2
why no k&n oil filter in that test??????//

Probably because K&N isn't marketed as broadly, and the chart was used to compare Amsoil's filter to the most widely used filters out there. I'm just guessing though.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:33 AM
Blu
the tits

i'm sure the k&n filter would match the amiol evenly though but i'm still putting 5w-30 amsoil when i change my oil next

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Probably because K&N isn't marketed as broadly, and the chart was used to compare Amsoil's filter to the most widely used filters out there. I'm just guessing though.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:34 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Highlander

The SDF-36 is the oversized filter for the VQs, that would work as well. More filtering area as it is a "double length" filter.