5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clutch slipping? Tranny issues? Need diagnosis help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Clutch slipping? Tranny issues? Need diagnosis help.

OK, here is the story in my never ending quest to figure out what the deal is. Here is what I notice:

1) when the car has not been driven in a while (meaning that the outside temp is not always cold) the car "shudders" upon acceleration (especially noticable going up hills). At first I thought I had the coil issue, but once the car gets to op temp, the shuddering goes away. I have also driven the car home and left again going through same route and do not experience the issue.

2) Sometimes I cannot get the car to disengange gears. If I can recall correctly it seems to be on the 1-3-5 stroke. Meaning if I am going 1 to some other gear, 3 to some other gear, 5 to some other gear. I cannot seem to remember it on a 2-4 stroke. I push the clutch to the floor and have to either really tug on the stick or use the ol rev method to get it to disengage. Being intermitent is going to make this a pain.

3) Sometimes, even though I have the clutch to the floor I end up checking for rubber gears, grind til I find...Its extremely annoying, but again only happens once in a while.

4) Down shifting is a pain. Period. Forget going into 1 without some pressure (bad) or almost stopping the car.

If someone can give me some ideas what the heck is going on, I would appreciate it.

Alex told me to change out the fluid, which will be happening soon and that would help a lot but I dont want to put in good tranny oil to have the goobers at Nissan drain it back out during an "inspection" type thing or tell me because I used XXX tranny oil, that is my problem.

TIA

Oh yeah my car has 15.5K on it.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

Might have a clutch slave cylinder problem. ie..needs to be bled again because the clutch pedal is not fully releasing the pressure plate off the clutch disc.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:41 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Might have a clutch slave cylinder problem. ie..needs to be bled again because the clutch pedal is not fully releasing the pressure plate off the clutch disc.
So that would account for the intermitentness of this? Uggg. I am assuming I cannot bled myself? Or if someone has done this can they advise as to the difficulty? Is it like brakes?
Old 05-03-2002, 11:06 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Clutch slipping? Tranny issues? Need diagnosis help.

Originally posted by Colonel
OK, here is the story in my never ending quest to figure out what the deal is. Here is what I notice:

1) when the car has not been driven in a while (meaning that the outside temp is not always cold) the car "shudders" upon acceleration (especially noticable going up hills). At first I thought I had the coil issue, but once the car gets to op temp, the shuddering goes away. I have also driven the car home and left again going through same route and do not experience the issue.

2) Sometimes I cannot get the car to disengange gears. If I can recall correctly it seems to be on the 1-3-5 stroke. Meaning if I am going 1 to some other gear, 3 to some other gear, 5 to some other gear. I cannot seem to remember it on a 2-4 stroke. I push the clutch to the floor and have to either really tug on the stick or use the ol rev method to get it to disengage. Being intermitent is going to make this a pain.

3) Sometimes, even though I have the clutch to the floor I end up checking for rubber gears, grind til I find...Its extremely annoying, but again only happens once in a while.

4) Down shifting is a pain. Period. Forget going into 1 without some pressure (bad) or almost stopping the car.

If someone can give me some ideas what the heck is going on, I would appreciate it.

Alex told me to change out the fluid, which will be happening soon and that would help a lot but I dont want to put in good tranny oil to have the goobers at Nissan drain it back out during an "inspection" type thing or tell me because I used XXX tranny oil, that is my problem.

TIA

Oh yeah my car has 15.5K on it.
Are you sure your pushing the clutch all the way to the floor?

Just kidding. I used to do this when I first got the Maxima and it was the reason I had difficulty. That last INCH or two makes a BIG difference.

Also, don't EVEN think about slipping the shifter into FIRST while the car is moving, because Nissan trannys SUCK! At least mine does! I'm hoping the MT-90 will help, but I'm waiting to take it to the dealer. I have ~12K, but it has done this since NEW, I just thought it was me until I got 4-5K on the OD.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:08 AM
I'm needing a caw

Should be real easy, just like bleeding your brakes.

Originally posted by Colonel
So that would account for the intermitentness of this? Uggg. I am assuming I cannot bled myself? Or if someone has done this can they advise as to the difficulty? Is it like brakes?