5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is it supposed to be THIS loud?? (Frankencar)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 05:45 AM

Is it supposed to be THIS loud?? (Frankencar)

I mean, it sounds great, but it's SO FRIGGIN LOUD. I have NEVER heard an intake this loud before. It starts as a low grumble and turns into a wail after 4000 rpms. At first I thought something was rattling against my fender or hood, but it seems everything is secure. Just wondering if something is wrong or it's supposed to sound like this. My brother says it sounds like a mustang cobra

Anyway other than that I love it, throttle response is much crisper, and there seems to be more pull at higher RPMS. BTW I have the stillen cone/velocity stack on there, mebbe that affects it. BTW what kind of gains are typical with the intake, I know steve sez 10hp but of course I'd like an independant source will dyno again if possible.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:23 AM

Let me know if you have any problems with it in the first few days... Mine caused the maf to throw a "too much air code" and caused the car to goto limp mode, and i had to have it towed to the dealer. I sold the intake because I was ****ed, now Im thinking about buying an Injen CAI, but I dont know if it will do the samething again.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:57 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Hey you can put it on my car and we'll test it out, See how it sounds. HAHAAH
Old 05-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

why would they want a code of "too much air in the MAF"? Mod detector?

Originally posted by SmokinOdum
Let me know if you have any problems with it in the first few days... Mine caused the maf to throw a "too much air code" and caused the car to goto limp mode, and i had to have it towed to the dealer. I sold the intake because I was ****ed, now Im thinking about buying an Injen CAI, but I dont know if it will do the samething again.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:19 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by SmokinOdum
This sounds like a load of crap. Is this the story the dealer gave you ? Did you verify this. I have NEVER heard of a TOO MUCH AIR code. If this is the case, why bother with INJEN ? It too will provide more air into your manifold . As far as LOUD ! YES IT IS ! I used to own 2 V8's and this thing is scary ! I first noticed it when I had my Berk Intake, and I raced Leftcoast with the Franken.. When we were going side by side and he hit 5000+, I was like WTF! .... That is when I went home and ordered the Frankencar... I see a performance gain from it too that is noticed at hi end !