5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Legit 2k1 vs. 2k2 race

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 06:58 AM

Legit 2k1 vs. 2k2 race

All,

Here is an honest account, no rolling starts, etc...

My neighbor has a 2k2 SE auto, fully loaded, minus the nav, no mods, about 8K on it, and about a half tank of gas. I have a 2K1 manual with mods listed in my sig. with 40K on it, and about an eight tank of gas. We have wanted to race for a couple of months now, but to be honest, I didn't want to race until I got rid of my craptenzas. Well yesterday we did two runs from a light. Both times I jumped him by about a half car length out the gate, well he almost made it up till about 80 were I inched it slowly back to a half car length, we both shut it down at about 100, and extra horses or not it was not pulling. Now I will say on the second run he might have had a slightly better start because briefly it looked like he was about to pull even early on, but hitting third gear pulled me to a half a car length again.

OK theories:

Both my launches were good, not great, light spinning and just a tad of wheel hop. In a perfect world I would have feathered the clutch a little better, but I was nervous. All of my shifts were damn near perfect almost to the rev limiter and lightning fast. I think my shifts and less gas was the difference.

He claims his launch was not reaction time related, that it was his auto. His launches were very similar, except his spin was a louder bite, and he said he had slight wheel hop. He refused to manually shift, saying he was not comfortable with the dynamics, rpm, etc... I would have to believe that had he manually shifted his auto he might have taken me by a half car length. Either way I had a shiet eating grin the rest of the day and he had a scowl
Old 05-13-2002, 07:59 AM

hmm. i totally believe that this is true but im curious how you took him out with only an intake.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:25 AM
Maxtor

Originally posted by Newman
hmm. i totally believe that this is true but im curious how you took him out with only an intake.
The 2k2 was only an auto!

Wait until you put a y-pipe on you would have pulled on him in each gear even if he did have an intake on himeself!

Old 05-13-2002, 10:49 AM

More Legit 2k2 vs 2k1

My friend in Delaware came up to see me last week and he owns a 2k1 5 speed. As he drove up, he saw my 2k2 6 speed and immediately wanted to race saying he wanted to see if they actualy were faster. So we drover around for about 10 mins or so to warm my car up. After that we lined up at a light on Route 38 in Cherry Hill NJ. Both of our cars are bone stock. We each got a decent launch and I pulled on him all the way up to 100 were we both shut it down by about 1 1/2 to 2 car lengths.

Any theories or is my car just that much faster? He said he was giving it all he had.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: More Legit 2k2 vs 2k1

No theories. Just plain facts. You have a 2k2.

Originally posted by AuxNuke
Any theories or is my car just that much faster? He said he was giving it all he had.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:11 AM

This not good, 2k2 auto falling to the hands of 2k1 5spd!
Old 05-13-2002, 12:09 PM

Re: More Legit 2k2 vs 2k1

Originally posted by AuxNuke
My friend in Delaware came up to see me last week and he owns a 2k1 5 speed. As he drove up, he saw my 2k2 6 speed and immediately wanted to race saying he wanted to see if they actualy were faster. So we drover around for about 10 mins or so to warm my car up. After that we lined up at a light on Route 38 in Cherry Hill NJ. Both of our cars are bone stock. We each got a decent launch and I pulled on him all the way up to 100 were we both shut it down by about 1 1/2 to 2 car lengths.

...The guy who started this thread was writing about his auto, you have a 6-spd... That is the difference in the results. The 2k2 auto is about neck and neck w/ 2001 5-speed, depending on driver. That is why the 5-spd won... Like he said, if the friend with the 2k2 auto had shifted his gated shifter manually (like a clutchless stick) he would have had better results. Still, an automatic 4-door 'family sedan' that does 0-60 in 6.6 or 6.7 secs is pretty nice...
Old 05-13-2002, 06:09 PM

Oh yeah

Originally posted by Maxtor

The 2k2 was only an auto!

Wait until you put a y-pipe on you would have pulled on him in each gear even if he did have an intake on himeself!

Y-pipe will be coming when Warpspeed finally completes it.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:20 PM
john2002max

Re: Legit 2k1 vs. 2k2 race

Originally posted by Blackgums100
All,

My neighbor has a 2k2 SE auto, fully loaded, minus the nav, no mods, about 8K on it, and about a half tank of gas. I have a 2K1 manual with mods listed in my sig. with 40K on it, and about an eight tank of gas. We have wanted to race for a couple of months now, but to be honest, I didn't want to race until I got rid of my craptenzas. Well yesterday we did two runs from a light. Both times I jumped him by about a half car length out the gate, well he almost made it up till about 80 were I inched it slowly back to a half car length, we both shut it down at about 100, and extra horses or not it was not pulling. Now I will say on the second run he might have had a slightly better start because briefly it looked like he was about to pull even early on, but hitting third gear pulled me to a half a car length again.

OK theories:

Both my launches were good, not great, light spinning and just a tad of wheel hop. In a perfect world I would have feathered the clutch a little better, but I was nervous. All of my shifts were damn near perfect almost to the rev limiter and lightning fast. I think my shifts and less gas was the difference.

He claims his launch was not reaction time related, that it was his auto. His launches were very similar, except his spin was a louder bite, and he said he had slight wheel hop. He refused to manually shift, saying he was not comfortable with the dynamics, rpm, etc... I would have to believe that had he manually shifted his auto he might have taken me by a half car length. Either way I had a shiet eating grin the rest of the day and he had a scowl
I have owned both cars and even with your mods he should have blown you away, even with an auto. I would also have to say your driving was perfect and that probably had alot to do with it. But the 2K2 is a much more powerfull car, espicially with the 6 speed manual. Good job on the Stick!

Old 05-13-2002, 06:24 PM

Re: Re: Legit 2k1 vs. 2k2 race

Originally posted by john2002max

I have owned both cars and even with your mods he should have blown you away, even with an auto. I would also have to say your driving was perfect and that probably had alot to do with it. But the 2K2 is a much more powerfull car, espicially with the 6 speed manual. Good job on the Stick!
Can you please make you sig much smaller? The pics fill up my whole screen. Thanks
Old 05-13-2002, 06:42 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have yet to race one. But I have a hard time beelieving I can get beat by a 2K1 with only an intake.... I always manualy shift it. The 1st gear has to be upshifted earlier than 2 and 3, since , if you dont, you will hit the rev limiter... Even in an Auto, you have to know how to race. Also, if you have Traction control in an auto, IT MUST BE OFF ! If you dont do that, you can easily lose a half a car length....
Old 05-13-2002, 07:43 PM
Got Projectors?

Sorry guys, I'm a little new to the Nissan Community, so could someone tell me...

What makes the 2k2 Max supposedly faster than the 2k1? I thought they both had the VQ35..

Thanks,

John
Old 05-13-2002, 07:46 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Max 2K2 has a 3.5 liter 255 motor...
Old 05-13-2002, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by MetaOrbit
Sorry guys, I'm a little new to the Nissan Community, so could someone tell me...

What makes the 2k2 Max supposedly faster than the 2k1? I thought they both had the VQ35..

Thanks,

John
too add to what Kloogy said:

2002 has 3.5 litre VQ35 with 255 HP.
2000 and 2001 have 3.0 litre VQ30 with 222 HP.
95-99 have 3.0 litre VQ30 with 190 HP.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:21 PM
Got Projectors?

Ahh that makes more sense.

Thanks!

John
Old 05-13-2002, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Newman

too add to what Kloogy said:

2002 has 3.5 litre VQ35 with 255 HP.
2000 and 2001 have 3.0 litre VQ30 with 222 HP.
95-99 have 3.0 litre VQ30 with 190 HP.
Not to be too nitpicky or anything, but the 95-99 have the vq30de engine, while the 00 and 01 have the vq30de-k

Sorry, its just one my pet peeves...
Old 05-14-2002, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by Ironlord

Not to be too nitpicky or anything, but the 95-99 have the vq30de engine, while the 00 and 01 have the vq30de-k

thats cool. the more clarification the better.
Old 05-14-2002, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
I have yet to race one. But I have a hard time beelieving I can get beat by a 2K1 with only an intake.... I always manualy shift it. The 1st gear has to be upshifted earlier than 2 and 3, since , if you dont, you will hit the rev limiter... Even in an Auto, you have to know how to race. Also, if you have Traction control in an auto, IT MUST BE OFF ! If you dont do that, you can easily lose a half a car length....
just curious, at what rpms do u shift and do u torque brake?
Old 05-14-2002, 02:22 PM

And the AE has??

And now to be pedantic, what does the AE have? I know the difference mostly involves air intake changes but does this result in a different engine designation or is it still just a vq30de-k?
Old 05-14-2002, 02:59 PM

Re: And the AE has??

Originally posted by Myrv

And now to be pedantic, what does the AE have? I know the difference mostly involves air intake changes but does this result in a different engine designation or is it still just a vq30de-k?
AE comes with 227hp......but not mine
Old 05-14-2002, 03:09 PM

Re: Re: More Legit 2k2 vs 2k1

Originally posted by Matthew

...The guy who started this thread was writing about his auto, you have a 6-spd... That is the difference in the results. The 2k2 auto is about neck and neck w/ 2001 5-speed, depending on driver. That is why the 5-spd won... Like he said, if the friend with the 2k2 auto had shifted his gated shifter manually (like a clutchless stick) he would have had better results. Still, an automatic 4-door 'family sedan' that does 0-60 in 6.6 or 6.7 secs is pretty nice...
I've always had better time leaving it on D than manually shifting it. It seems that it takes longer for the transmission to shift up when you do it manually.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:52 AM
john2002max

All,

OK theories:

Sounds like your the better driver, But I've owned both cars and I must say the 02 is much faster, espicially the 6 speed! Without some serious mods you will lose to a manual 02. You must have hit the shifts perfect to beat the auto.

Old 06-13-2002, 05:20 AM

Re: Re: Legit 2k1 vs. 2k2 race

Originally posted by john2002max

Sounds like your the better driver, But I've owned both cars and I must say the 02 is much faster, espicially the 6 speed! Without some serious mods you will lose to a manual 02. You must have hit the shifts perfect to beat the auto.

While I will agree the 2K2 is faster, I think my RE950's worked his Stock RE92's.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: Legit 2k1 vs. 2k2 race

While I will agree the 2K2 is faster, I think my RE950's worked his Stock RE92's.
Either way, a kill is a kill. Good kill Black.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:53 AM
Blu
the tits

nice kill but back to what kloogy said if you manually shift you will hit the rev limiter in 1st if your not careful i did it my first time shifting and almost ****ted on myself but since then i have practiced and learned to pull into 2nd at about 5800 rpm. ? about the guy with the auto did he have tcs on anyways good job on beating up on that 2k2 auto but i'm not afraid of messing anything up i have the extended warranty lol so if i *** up they will have to fix it and i will rag out the rental they give me
Old 06-13-2002, 06:14 AM

WOW

Originally posted by TRUblu2K2
nice kill but back to what kloogy said if you manually shift you will hit the rev limiter in 1st if your not careful i did it my first time shifting and almost ****ted on myself but since then i have practiced and learned to pull into 2nd at about 5800 rpm. ? about the guy with the auto did he have tcs on anyways good job on beating up on that 2k2 auto but i'm not afraid of messing anything up i have the extended warranty lol so if i *** up they will have to fix it and i will rag out the rental they give me

I had forgotten all about TCS. I am not sure if he had it on or off. I will check with him.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:19 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: WOW

yea thats a killer thats why i didn't even get the option cause its usless driving around town you don't need it and if you are racing it slows you down

I had forgotten all about TCS. I am not sure if he had it on or off. I will check with him.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:27 AM

Interesting. My wife and I own a 2k2 6 spd (my car) and a 2k 5 spd (her car) and God bless her heart, she loves to race, so we've raced several times when we happen to meet up on our way home.

Every time the outcome is the same; our 2K simply cannot keep up with our 2k2. What I've noticed is our 2K does a pretty good job at lower speeds (under 60 mph)and doesn't lose too much ground but as the speed climbs, the 2k2 starts pulling away faster and faster.

We even switched cars once to see if it was her shifting versus my shifting. I pulled out all the stops on the 2K, shifting her just under 7000 rpm, and all I could do was watch the wife in the 2k2 pull away.

I realize this was a 5 spd vs a Auto, but just my 2 cents.

All,

OK theories:

Old 06-13-2002, 07:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, if you didn't, I would have

Also, just to add a cherry on top, the K in VQ30DE-K stands for Kaizen.

What is Kaizen?? Basically that dual mode muffler, and variable intake manifold, both of which the VQ30DE does not have.

DW

Old 06-13-2002, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Well, if you didn't, I would have

Also, just to add a cherry on top, the K in VQ30DE-K stands for Kaizen.

What is Kaizen?? Basically that dual mode muffler, and variable intake manifold, both of which the VQ30DE does not have.

DW

Actually, Kaizen is the name used to describe the Japanese work ethic of continuous improvement introduced in the mid-eighties. It is credited with being the sole reason Japanese automakers began kicking *** from then on. American automakers eventually benchmarked Kaizen to improve quality. That's interesting that they "improved" the VQ w/ the 'k'.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:33 AM

I am waiting for some more aftermarket parts to counter those Comptech enhanced Acuras.

Kaizen, name of a company that makes prohormones :-)
Old 06-13-2002, 08:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Touché

Yeah that's right, I was just looking at the engine and it's designation that came b/c of that work ethic.

DW

Originally posted by noflash

Actually, Kaizen is the name used to describe the Japanese work ethic of continuous improvement introduced in the mid-eighties. It is credited with being the sole reason Japanese automakers began kicking *** from then on. American automakers eventually benchmarked Kaizen to improve quality. That's interesting that they "improved" the VQ w/ the 'k'.