5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Maxima SE 6 Speed or Acura 3.2TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 08:24 AM
hatzq68

2002 Maxima SE 6 Speed or Acura 3.2TL-S

I am currently looking to lease a new car. I now have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee that is coming off lease soon and am looking for something new. I wanted another Jeep but lease prices on the Grand Cherokee with a V8 are way up there. So I decided if I don't go big I want speed. I'm torn on whether to get a 2002 Maxima SE 6 speed or an Acura 3.2 TL Type S. Can anyone give me advice on which is the preffered car? I know this is a Maxima thread so most of the responses will be toward the Maxima, but please try to give me reasons why the Maxima is a better car or better value. Also, does anyone have any complaints about there 2002 SE 6 speed? Are there any known problems with this car? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Donny

Old 05-13-2002, 08:37 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: 2002 Maxima SE 6 Speed or Acura 3.2TL-S

QUOTE]Originally posted by hatzq68
I am currently looking to lease a new car. I now have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee that is coming off lease soon and am looking for something new. I wanted another Jeep but lease prices on the Grand Cherokee with a V8 are way up there. So I decided if I don't go big I want speed. I'm torn on whether to get a 2002 Maxima SE 6 speed or an Acura 3.2 TL Type S. Can anyone give me advice on which is the preffered car? I know this is a Maxima thread so most of the responses will be toward the Maxima, but please try to give me reasons why the Maxima is a better car or better value. Also, does anyone have any complaints about there 2002 SE 6 speed? Are there any known problems with this car? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Donny
[/QUOTE]:
performance is near the same but you will have more fun with the 6 spd wish i got one
Old 05-13-2002, 08:43 AM
Very sound, Mike

I'll try to be as unbiased as i possibly can.

Maxima
pros:
- A little less expensive if you don't want all the frills (even then, it's still at least $1k cheaper than the TL-S)
- It's a great car. Performance is up there, handling is average until you get some good aftermarket suspension modifications.
- Fun to drive.
- VQ Power
- Fit and finish is very good, IMHO.

cons:
- There's been some issues with the shifter being too rubbery or the throttle being slightly delayed but it's nothing too annoying (and can definitely be overcome)
- Paint is a big problem. Chips and scratch galore.
- Compared to Acura, Dealerships don't really care much for "Customer service". Of course your mileage may vary, i've had good luck with my local dealer so far.

TL-S
pros:
- Slightly more expensive but you also get excellent dealer service and the reknowned Acura 24/7 CS line.
- Power is also up there, handling can also be improved as with the Maxima.
- VTEC Power
- Fit and finish is also very nice
- AC Vents for the rear passengers
- Everything (Except Nav) comes standard in their base package
- Aftermarket support is definitely up there

cons:
- some transmission failures have been reported
- just a tad bit more expensive

That's all that comes up to mind at this point. My suggestion is to go to each dealership and test drive each car for several miles - esp go through your daily route to see which adapts to your "style of driving" more.

In the end it's all up to you. Even though i drive a Maxima i also respect the TL-S just the same. I'm a car enthusiast. 'nuff said
Old 05-13-2002, 08:46 AM

I would base it entirely on looks

they are so close in all aspects it's a toss up. The Acura will have a better resale value, but who cares it's a lease.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:56 AM

If you have a maxima in the family, I would go for the Acura TL Type S or the CL Type S 6-speed. I've owned a Maxima for 8 years. I would want something new for a change. Acura's due better in resale and trade-in value.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:04 AM

Don't forget with the Maxima 6 speed you can also get the HLSD? As far as I know the Maxima is the only FWD car with a limited slip differential available and it is a wonderful option.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by MAXAL25
If you have a maxima in the family, I would go for the Acura TL Type S or the CL Type S 6-speed. I've owned a Maxima for 8 years. I would want something new for a change. Acura's due better in resale and trade-in value.
I'd go with whether or not you want a 6spd or an auto. As far as I know, the TL does not come with a manual...so unless you want the 2-door CL type-S, you'd have to take the Max for the 6spd. Beyond that, they're both great cars. It would be a pretty hard decision. I'd probably end up with whichever car dealership gave me the better deal.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:10 AM
jjs

Take them both for a spin and see which one you like more...

but by all rights, you should be warned, Nissan has some of the world's suckiest service after the purchase...
Old 05-13-2002, 09:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Maxima has somewhat more practical and fun nature to it. It's got the bggest interior compared to most other coars, especially compared to the TL-S. It has the VQ35 engine, even though the Acura has slightly more hp, its only slight. The DOHC Maxima has a better engine overall than the SOHC VTEC V-6.

The Acura is a more luxofied high speed cruiser. It's going towards Mercedes more so than the Maxima. It's got a well appointed interior, sort of like a small intimate club inside. It will carry 4 people in cozy luxury whereas the maxima will carry 5 with ease in about the same luxury.

The Acura is a little more "grown-up", I guess. It's not so concerned about being the fastest or absolute best in any category, but the whole package is very good. The Maxima wants to be the biggest baddest 4 door sports sedan, well, under 30 grand.

Basically, if you like to wear driving gloves and go carving a mountain road, get the Maxima. If cruising at high speed with a couple of your closest friedns is more your style, while not necessarilyy generating hard cornering G forces in your turns, then the Acura is proably better sutied to you.

If you're an accountant, get the Acura. If the driver's seat is THE SEAT in your car, then Maxima

DW
Old 05-13-2002, 09:29 AM
RussMaxManiac

Well there is a big performance difference between the automagic TL-S and a 6spd Maxima. Hands down the Maxima 6spd will hand the TL-S its ***. If you want handling get the TL-S, the Maxima will do its job well however.

Now they do make a CL-S (coupe) 6spd also, same as the TL but with 2 doors. Now the Maxima and CL-S are about equal in speed. A stock CL-S has run 14.1 on its first try at the track, it did not get to run anymore, this was 2700ft, with 35psi and everything in the car. Fastest 6spd Maxima was 14.2 so far. Who knows. But I suggest check them both out.

If you want good service go with Acura, Nissan doesn't cut it there. If you want better price and performance, go with Nissan.

Old 05-13-2002, 09:31 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by ohmitr
Don't forget with the Maxima 6 speed you can also get the HLSD? As far as I know the Maxima is the only FWD car with a limited slip differential available and it is a wonderful option.
CL-S 6SPD also has HLSD.

Old 05-13-2002, 09:34 AM

Re: Re: 2002 Maxima SE 6 Speed or Acura 3.2TL-S

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Well there is a big performance difference between the automagic TL-S and a 6spd Maxima. Hands down the Maxima 6spd will hand the TL-S its ***. If you want handling get the TL-S, the Maxima will do its job well however.

Now they do make a CL-S (coupe) 6spd also, same as the TL but with 2 doors. Now the Maxima and CL-S are about equal in speed. A stock CL-S has run 14.1 on its first try at the track, it did not get to run anymore, this was 2700ft, with 35psi and everything in the car. Fastest 6spd Maxima was 14.2 so far. Who knows. But I suggest check them both out.

If you want good service go with Acura, Nissan doesn't cut it there. If you want better price and performance, go with Nissan.
Russ wasnt that a 14.3 that guy ran on the CL-S forums??? Did i miss ssomething?
Old 05-13-2002, 09:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: 2002 Maxima SE 6 Speed or Acura 3.2TL-S

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Russ wasnt that a 14.3 that guy ran on the CL-S forums??? Did i miss ssomething?
Yea, it was a 14.38@97mph....nowhere near 14.1
Old 05-13-2002, 09:42 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: 2002 Maxima SE 6 Speed or Acura 3.2TL-S

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Yea your right, I was mistaken..post below.

Old 05-13-2002, 09:44 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2002 Maxima SE 6 Speed or Acura 3.2TL-S

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Yea, it was a 14.38@97mph....nowhere near 14.1
Yep, I was wrong guys, sorry. Dunno where the 14.1 I thought was came from..

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...highlight=drag

link to the actual post.

Old 05-13-2002, 09:52 AM

G35 anyone? If a manual transmission was not a must to me I would definatly get a G35.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:00 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by emax95
G35 anyone? If a manual transmission was not a must to me I would definatly get a G35.
G35 = slow compared to the Max and TL-S. :P

Old 05-13-2002, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

G35 = slow compared to the Max and TL-S. :P
6.2 0-60 with the auto is pretty damn good compared to the max and CL-S 6spd Once the 6spd G35 comes out forget about, it's going to be a step ahead.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

One of my good friends recently bought new cars the same day about a month ago. I chose the Max for the 6-speed and lower cost.My Buddy bought a TL-S. Both of our cars are sweet. But mine is faster and was several grand less with the same options. If I had more cash I may have opted for the CL-S 6-speed. But prolly would have still gone with the Max and saved some cash. On a side note, I don't like the nose/front grille on the TL/CL. IMO the two vehicles you are deciding between are prolly the best bang for the buck on the road today. Happy Shopping.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:20 AM
Zam

Originally posted by emax95
G35 is a serious contender. It seems to have more personality then the TL-S. Interior is sharper too. Many mag times seem to put the Auto G35 in cahoots with the manual Maxima/Altima. I hope Infiniti doesn't mess this up.

Zam
Old 05-13-2002, 12:04 PM

Let me begin by giving all org members a pat on the back for keeping this so civil and as objective as possible. When I read the title I thought, oh no, here comes another flame war. Also, hey Russ, good job on giving equal props to Nissan/Maxima. I feel like today is gonna be a good day now.

Now my OPINION....

I was in this same quandry last February. I know I wanted something bigger, faster, and more refined than my Prelude. I checked out the TL-S and even CL-S (autos....6spd wasn't available then). To be honest, in St.Louis, the Acura dealers were snobs. Even though I drove up in a 2001 Prelude, they took me as a joke, handed me a brochure, and only after me literally asking, allowed me a test drive. I drove the TL-S and was very impressed. High speed (90+) stability was very good. Handling was pretty good too as well as the power. I just couldn't get over the automatic. It was smooth but shifted WELL before redline in 1st. Even in manumatic mode. The TL-S pulls VERY hard all the way to redline, but isn't as strong down low. The Maxima is the opposite. The stock 6spd has INCREDIBLE grunt off the line and through the midrange, but once you hit 5500 rpms its like, 'hey did I let off the gas'. Ofcourse my intake has alleviated that to a large degree, and a cat back exhaust/Y-pipe will probably cure it. Anyway, the Nissan dealer I went to sold me mine for $24,000 flat (including rebate) with no haggling. The Acura dealer said they could knock off $700.00 at most if I bought that day. Your results may vary. One thing, if you do buy a Max....take a bit of that money and mod the suspension. The Acura kills us on stock suspension. Ofcourse, the TL-S isn't available with a manual....so its up to you.

Bottom line is that both are the leaders in their respective classes. The Max having the edge in power and price, the Acura the edge in refinement and resale. Either way you cant go wrong. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by hatzq68

Donny
I tried out both cars the TL S was an auto though. The TL S rode a little harder and stiffer than the SE Maxy for sure. Thats ok because it handled nicely. The maxy is a nice ride for all around in pretty much all conditions. Maxy has better low end power, the TL needed to be pushed harder and harder to get response out of it, typical Honda engine you need to get the revs up to get to power band. I thought the TL S was a couple of grand more expensive than the maxy though. I ended up with the maxy and never looked back.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:26 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by ohmitr
ahem..Sentra SE-R spec V, VLSD.

Old 05-13-2002, 04:31 PM
Maxima06071

Mitsubishi EVOlution VII, Mini Cooper S, uh howabout an AZTEC hehe J/K man first two options though!
the Maxima is my choice. Of your two choices even though nissan has crappy service. of course I'm a little biased cause I hate Hondas.

Old 05-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Donating Member

Either way, two of the best cars for the buck. It just depends how many of them you want to spend. You can walk away with a 6 Spd Max for $6000 less than a TL-S if you forgo the leather/BOSE and a lot of the toys. That's your call. BTW - check out Acura's website and run a comparison between the TL-S and SE. I did and bought the Max. Larger car, same power, and $6,000 cheaper without the frills. Plus I thought the TL looks a little stale, not bad, but something I notice more women and older men driving.

Also - check out acura-tl.com. Another great site to get some feedback. The talk of real owners complaining about squeaks and rattles (Confirmed by Motor Trend in a CL tester) plus the tranny failures completely turned me off. Let's see where the resale of the 2002 winds up when word spreads.

Best of luck - I think you'll enjoy either choice.