5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rattles and Dealing with Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rattles and Dealing with Nissan

I have a 2k Maxima GLE that must have been made on the late Friday afternoon shift. I won't run down the list of the other problems, but only the relevant ones pertinent to this post.

Anyway, I have identified and had warranty work done on 2 separate rattles. One was/is in the left rear door around the speaker, and the other was/is in the headliner (I have a sunroof).

The rattles started in the Fall. I had one dealership here in Atlanta work on it, but they, of course, could not hear what I was hearing. So they did nothing. Next, in January, I was to take it back to the same dealership that did nothing and they told me that they would be charging me for their time. I called Nissan and complained and they directed me to another dealership in Atlanta. The second dealership has been pretty good about it. Their effort and, for the most part, courtesy has been acceptable. They identified the rattles and began working. They improved the rattles so that they were at least somewhat muted as compared to before.

In March, the rattles became louder again, so I took it back in. They worked on it again with very little success. So now took it back and left it there a week and a half ago for them to work on it and drive it for a few days. They now recognize the small, and incredibly annoying, rattles, but have been unsuccessful in pinpointing their locations and, thus, the solutions. They have had the car ever since I dropped it off to them a week and a half ago.

My question now is what do I do? I have been updating Nissan as to the on-going repairs. The car has 28,000 miles. I am outside of the scope of the lemon law. What are my options? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-13-2002, 03:21 PM
lcf

why dont you try to pinpoint the rattle and take care of it yourself?
Old 05-13-2002, 03:42 PM

rattles

I agree, sometimes it is better to fix it yourself. My 2000 I30 had four rattles when new. Rear sunshade, rear deck, A-piller, and the glove box. By various means and using stuff around the garage, I was able to silence them all. Car is still quiet two years latter.

My experience is that unless it is something really obvious, the dealer is a waste of time.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:58 PM
KTM

For me, the excessive wind noise sometimes drowns out the annoying rattles. Or I take my mind off of it by thinking about the paint chips.

Dealer is pretty worthless, unless the rattle can be solved by the TSB, they are unlikely to do anything about it. They are just guessing. You probably do a better job yourself.

(and if anyone solves the front A piller area rattle, let me know, its not the plastic covering, sounds almost like the glass)