5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I am the luckiest man alive-almost died

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 01:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Stikya

You are mistaken that I believed I could guarantee others safety under the scenario which started the thread. I never said that, or thought it. I had just never faced the question, or even thought about it the potential of hurting anyone. I realize, now, that I was seriously jeopardizing many peoples' safety under those conditions.

But, yes, I do believe that under certain conditions, out on the open road you can speed and only jeopardize yourself-it would be when no one else is around.
To go in a slightly different direction, you need to think about the potential of hurting others. Specifically, I'm thinking about your family, whom would be devastated if you were killed in an auto accident. I understand your willingness to risk your own life, but isn't it downright selfish of you not to consider the effect on your family? I don't know if you're married or not, but if you are, and have children, you certainly have a moral obligation not to take any risks that would change their lives forever.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:58 PM
lcf

Originally posted by Magellan
To go in a slightly different direction, you need to think about the potential of hurting others. Specifically, I'm thinking about your family, whom would be devastated if you were killed in an auto accident. I understand your willingness to risk your own life, but isn't it downright selfish of you not to consider the effect on your family? I don't know if you're married or not, but if you are, and have children, you certainly have a moral obligation not to take any risks that would change their lives forever.
why drive at all then? driving itself is an inherent risk. i mean, there are crazy people on the road right? ...might as well walk, or use public transportation. the kids will understand one day.

Old 05-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by lcf
why drive at all then? driving itself is an inherent risk. i mean, there are crazy people on the road right? ...might as well walk, or use public transportation. the kids will understand one day.

Well, let's go one better and just go to bed for the rest of our lives and stay under the covers. Other than an earthquake or fire, we may be safer than being on the same street with a racer going by at 90 mph about to have a tire blow out.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:25 PM

wow this scares me. so im stopped at a light, minding my own business, and all of a sudden, someone comes flying thru the intersection sideways, hops the median, and slams into the driver side. why? because he wanted to pass some cars, and he was too cocky about it, more than doubling the speed limit. so now im dead and im ****ed. there are way too many drivers out there that think theyre invincible. if you wanna kill yourself, just jump off a bridge and let me be. if you wanna kill yourself and take me out with you, i think youre going the right route. keep on it and see what happens.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:06 PM
lcf

Originally posted by Magellan
Well, let's go one better and just go to bed for the rest of our lives and stay under the covers. Other than an earthquake or fire, we may be safer than being on the same street with a racer going by at 90 mph about to have a tire blow out.
heh, or why breathe this filthy unfiltered air? lets wear gas masks 24/7.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

Originally posted by Stikya

But, if I see an open stretch of highway w/ no traffic (or only another racer who chooses to put himself at risk also) I'm going to hit it and run until I feel that we are no longer being safe.
Mind if I ask your age, stikya?
Old 05-16-2002, 06:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

Originally posted by 67krs

Mind if I ask your age, stikya?
That's what profile is for, he's no kid - just drives like one
Old 05-16-2002, 06:55 PM

Please just drive safely

yesterday ill admit i was an idiot there was nothing i could do at all i was just in a hurry and upset with fear and anger running through me.....
yesterday mr grandmother had a massive stroke and i was the only family member around to stay with her at the hospital my parents were in disney world but there here now when i got the call i was in shock i quickly got dressed and hauled @ss to the hospital( yes its mainly hwy to the hospital) normal driving time is about 28 mins. doing 65 i got there in 15 on the 4 lane it was ok no traffic at all but on the 2 lane i was passing cars left and right(lucky for no tickets) ne way point of the story play it safe a lil speeding is ok but with others out on the hwy and in your car drive sane life is to presious to loose playing games or even being in to much of a rush to get somewere...

p.s. mr grandma is ok for right now... please just pray for her and my family that we all get through this, again im sorry for bringin this up but i am upset about the recent events from yesterday
Old 05-16-2002, 06:58 PM

glad you're alive man.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:08 PM

This thread seem's to have turned into a confession's page so i in turn offer mine.

I had this habit of downshifting for yellow's and blowing thru thinking i was saving some time.

Last Monday i did this and nearly t-boned a truck that was making a left turn.My legacy there are two black stripes that kinda say-what the hell were you thinking?

Speed limit's are there to protect you and other's.5 second's of adrenaline is not worth a lifetime of pain and regret.
Old 05-17-2002, 03:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

Originally posted by noflash

That's what profile is for, he's no kid - just drives like one
Maybe I'm missing something, but i saw no ages in the profiles of anyone
Old 05-17-2002, 04:57 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SLOW DOWN

Originally posted by 67krs

Maybe I'm missing something, but i saw no ages in the profiles of anyone
His date of birth is there- April 15, 1972...
Old 05-17-2002, 05:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by lcf

nobody said that life is without risk. you could say anything in the world is a risk, but that's not justification to make it worse. you're talking about taking a risky situation and making it worse simply because it, like everything else, is inherently risky. that's absurd. most people recognize the world is risky and want their lives safer - they want condoms, homes, filtered water, antibiotics, etc.
we want to make the best of a bad situation, not identify some amount of risk in a situation then justify since there is some risk i'll do whatever i want, it's risky anyway.