5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Intake - Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002 | 01:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2K2 Intake - Which is best?

Hello all,
I see a number of posts regarding types and manufacturers of intakes for 5th gens.
To nail it down, how about a single thread on the levels of intakes (filter to 4th gen CAI), the best manufacturers (Frankencar, etc.),
what a good price would be and a good reputable dealer.

I've seen your rants and raves about this being the best inexpensive HP mod (not to mention a throatier sound) and I want a piece of it. But I want to do it right so I defer to the collective consciousness for advice.

Thanks all.
Old 05-21-2002 | 01:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 2K2 Intake - Which is best?

franken car so far for the best power intake at a good price...but a bit too loud for me.

berk...best intake under 100...actually...the only intake under 100.

Ingen is coming out a cold air intake...no drill req.

on the ohter hand...we have JWT and stillen....both over 100 and stillen has a velocity stack.

Originally posted by Shaydz
Hello all,
I see a number of posts regarding types and manufacturers of intakes for 5th gens.
To nail it down, how about a single thread on the levels of intakes (filter to 4th gen CAI), the best manufacturers (Frankencar, etc.),

I've seen your rants and raves about this being the best inexpensive HP mod (not to mention a throatier sound) and I want a piece of it. But I want to do it right so I defer to the collective consciousness for advice.

Thanks all.
Old 05-21-2002 | 02:28 PM

Re: Re: 2K2 Intake - Which is best?

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
franken car so far for the best power intake at a good price...but a bit too loud for me.

on the ohter hand...we have JWT and stillen....both over 100 and stillen has a velocity stack.

Thanks, maxi-overdose, for the reply.
Since there hasn't been any other replies, I assume many are in agreement with your opinion.

Is the Frankencar loud only at 4k RPM's and up (as I've heard mentioned) and what does it actually do besides extend the filter (like a K&M) out. I've seen pictures and it seems to have another hose attached from the side. Isn't there a sensor attached somewhere?

Where is a good source for best price on the frankencar and the berk?

Sorry so many ???????????

Thanks
Old 05-21-2002 | 03:01 PM
Blu
the tits

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php

try here
Old 05-21-2002 | 04:27 PM

what is this???? how come there is no thread showing up?????

Originally posted by TRUblu2K2
http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?s=

try here

shay:
Berk is a replacement of stock air box while franken goes beyond. It use the stock MAF but replace the stock resonator.

try
berktuning.com
frankencar.com
Old 05-21-2002 | 05:46 PM

what is this???? how come there is no thread showing up?????

shay:
Berk is a replacement of stock air box while franken goes beyond. It use the stock MAF but replace the stock resonator.

try
berktuning.com
frankencar.com
Maxi-Overdose:
Thanks for the additional info. I'll check the links again.
I read a bit about them, but was looking more for a dealer.
I've got a few to try for comparison now though.

TRUblu2K2

What? Your not going to fill it out for me?

Seriously, I did a lot of searching and found some good info.
I was trying to create some dialogue to get the real feel for what intake did people prefer, advantages, disadvantages, did they switch?
All 2K2 3.5 though. I can get general perceptions from the search producing 10+ pages. I was looking for 2K2 comparison specifics.

But thanks for the URL. I'll keep it taped on the inside of my center console for future use and think of you every time I pass a car and need a smart*** comment.

Thanks to you both,

Shaydz
Old 05-21-2002 | 07:23 PM
2K1HoMax

TOO LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!, how can an intake be too lound its deep and sounds sweet, also its not lound unless u make it get loud, and thats in a good way too
Old 05-21-2002 | 07:33 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Franken... What with the " Too Loud " .. I hope we arent attracting the Geritol crowd now !
Old 05-21-2002 | 10:11 PM

I have the Berk Intake w/ an open-top filter and it sounds sweet when I'm flooring it above 3k RPM. It's a loud growl, and there's no hissing... Love it! It always manages to turn heads! I can't wait to get my K&N open-top filter for it. I think MPG has gone up a little also.

G
Old 05-21-2002 | 10:13 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I had the Berk intake, as a matter of fact, all I did was buy a Frankencar midpipe to increase flow. If you look at the PIC above, its a Frankencar Midpipe, with a Berk Intake...... It sounds a lot better than just a Berk.. makes your engine really roar ! No ricey sounds either !
Old 05-22-2002 | 01:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: 2K2 Intake - Which is best?

maybe I will let me berk intake to torture my ear first.....then I will try franken.

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

TOO LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!, how can an intake be too lound its deep and sounds sweet, also its not lound unless u make it get loud, and thats in a good way too
Old 05-22-2002 | 06:05 AM

Re: 2K2 Intake - Which is best?

Hello all,

Thanks all.
Frankencar intake will ruin your MAF. I would not recommend this one
Old 05-22-2002 | 06:10 AM
Blu
the tits

o it will damn could have fooled me and all the other owners of the frakencar intake. It does not ruin the MAF everybody that has no clue what they are doing ruins the MAF when installing so watch your words and search before you finally post something

Originally posted by NISMOKING

Old 05-22-2002 | 06:16 AM

i really dont think that the frankencar intake is that loud..
Old 05-22-2002 | 06:30 AM

Originally posted by NISMOKING

And that's how rumors get started, NISMOKING.

There are usually only two reasons that a MAF sensor will go bad: one of the wires is damaged or oil coats the sensor. The first problem can be avoided by being careful when removing and reinstalling the sensor. The second problem can be avoided by using a non-oiled filter. The problem is that most (but not all) non-oiled filters aren't as effective at removing particulate matter as oiled filters. In addition, the incidence of oiled filters damaging MAF sensors is EXTREMELY rare and normally occurs if the filter has been over-oiled. If you carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions for oiling the filter, you shouldn't run into a problem.
Old 05-22-2002 | 08:05 AM

Originally posted by y2kse

And that's how rumors get started, NISMOKING.

There are usually only two reasons that a MAF sensor will go bad: one of the wires is damaged or oil coats the sensor. The first problem can be avoided by being careful when removing and reinstalling the sensor. The second problem can be avoided by using a non-oiled filter. The problem is that most (but not all) non-oiled filters aren't as effective at removing particulate matter as oiled filters. In addition, the incidence of oiled filters damaging MAF sensors is EXTREMELY rare and normally occurs if the filter has been over-oiled. If you carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions for oiling the filter, you shouldn't run into a problem.
Y2Kse:

Thank you for the valuable info.
Is the Frankencar intake for the 2K the same as the 2K2?
I know they're both 5th gens but with the difference in engine configurations, etc.

Most of the online performance parts sites out their only mention lights and appearance items for the 2K2. Do you know who has been reasonable in the past for Nissan aftermarket parts and would most likely have the Frankencar Intake?

If I wanted a purring kitten sound, I would'nt be looking at intakes, so if the Intake growls at higher RPMs - its a beautiful thing.

Thanks,
Shaydz
Old 05-22-2002 | 08:09 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2K2 Intake - Which is best?

Y2Kse:

Thank you for the valuable info.
Is the Frankencar intake for the 2K the same as the 2K2?
I know they're both 5th gens but with the difference in engine configurations, etc.

Most of the online performance parts sites out their only mention lights and appearance items for the 2K2. Do you know who has been reasonable in the past for Nissan aftermarket parts and would most likely have the Frankencar Intake?

If I wanted a purring kitten sound, I would'nt be looking at intakes, so if the Intake growls at higher RPMs - its a beautiful thing.

Thanks,
Shaydz

Old 05-22-2002 | 08:34 AM

I was sent a pdf file from Place Racing. The CAI's run about $230 for the 02-03 maxima.
Old 05-22-2002 | 08:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2K2 Intake - Which is best?

i have a weapon r intake so far so good
Old 05-22-2002 | 08:53 AM
Very sound, Mike

Berk can only be had from Berktuning
Frankencar can also only be had from Frankencar

The reason is, they're (sortof) just starting out. The owners of both company's are also long-standing members of the .Org

Your other best bet in finding one is through the For Sale forum (2nd hand, Used, etc) or Ebay (Cobymoby a.k.a Berktuning sometimes sells stuff over there)

Place Racing is a CAI set-up and requires some drilling. Injen doesn't seem to be the case.

Hope this helps a bit further.
Old 05-22-2002 | 09:46 AM

FYI, PR doesnt support 2k2 yet....

Originally posted by soundmike

Place Racing is a CAI set-up and requires some drilling. Injen doesn't seem to be the case.

Hope this helps a bit further.
NismoKing: please do not generalize....any aftermarket intake or even just a K&N drop-in might cause the MAF senor failure.
Old 05-22-2002 | 03:04 PM

FYI, PR doesnt support 2k2 yet....

NismoKing: please do not generalize....any aftermarket intake or even just a K&N drop-in might cause the MAF senor failure.

Used a Stillen on previous 2K Max from 99 and had no trouble. Installed Frankencar and 2 days MAF was shot. Well If that is generalizing, maybe for you but for me it's experience.
Old 05-22-2002 | 04:09 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Now what about just a K&N cone filter with adapter? What is the major difference between this and the Frankencar/Berk? The resonator? Is there a hp diff?
Old 05-22-2002 | 04:51 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by asu174
Now what about just a K&N cone filter with adapter? What is the major difference between this and the Frankencar/Berk? The resonator? Is there a hp diff?
Anyone? helllooooo? And don't tell me to do a search dammit!
Old 05-22-2002 | 05:21 PM

I had my FrankenCar intake on my car for about 5000 kms, went and got the throttle stop replaced on the car, a week later (about 400 km) the MAF blew. I got the car fixed, ran it for about 8000 km with the stock airbox on it and then reinstalled the FrankenCar intake. I've had it on for about the last 5000+ kms with no problems and that includes a day at the dragstrip. One thing that I noticed with the new MAF was a different style sensor. Read the following link for a description of the difference.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=3

Albert
Old 05-22-2002 | 06:53 PM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by asu174

Anyone? helllooooo? And don't tell me to do a search dammit!
the simple answer to that question would be that that frankencar has a intake tube that replaces that little box shaped thing with all the vacuum hoses attached to it, as well as that stock rubber peice so its basically a staight tube from the throttle body, to the MAS then the filter, just a straightet path, with less resrictions, thats also why it sounds more burly. i could ghetto rig 1 peice from home depot and make it work just that same but i honestly dont have that kind of time to put into the car especially if im at work 12hrs a day. im lucky to even have had the time to install my mods...