5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

whining noise - PLEASE, PLEASE help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 05:28 PM

whining noise - PLEASE, PLEASE help

Hello everyone. I posted about this before, but I couldn't get any definitive details. So, I went to two separate dealers, and they gave me two different BS stories...if anyone out there has had this same problem, or knows what it's caused by, please help...I'm out of ideas and it's really disconcerting

I have a stock 2002 GLE, and basically when I accelerate normally the engine makes a whining or whirring sound that get louder with the revs (but cuts out around 3500 rpm). It's not terribly loud, and it's hard to describe...it sounds kinda like a dentist's drill. It happens when i rev the engine in park as well. I'm fresh out of things to do, I'm tempted to start taking it around to mechanics and see what they say. The noise doesn't happen when I'm decelerating or idle...my mechanically disinclined guesses are that it's an intake or vacuum leak, or a bad transmission bearing...any ideas anyone...please??

Thanks in advance, guys. Hopefully, this annoying whining noise from my engine will end.
Old 05-24-2002, 05:40 PM

Re: whining noise - PLEASE, PLEASE help

Originally posted by Young04
Hello everyone. I posted about this before, but I couldn't get any definitive details. So, I went to two separate dealers, and they gave me two different BS stories...if anyone out there has had this same problem, or knows what it's caused by, please help...I'm out of ideas and it's really disconcerting

I have a stock 2002 GLE, and basically when I accelerate normally the engine makes a whining or whirring sound that get louder with the revs (but cuts out around 3500 rpm). It's not terribly loud, and it's hard to describe...it sounds kinda like a dentist's drill. It happens when i rev the engine in park as well. I'm fresh out of things to do, I'm tempted to start taking it around to mechanics and see what they say. The noise doesn't happen when I'm decelerating or idle...my mechanically disinclined guesses are that it's an intake or vacuum leak, or a bad transmission bearing...any ideas anyone...please??

Thanks in advance, guys. Hopefully, this annoying whining noise from my engine will end.
I just noticed that today.. please some help us with this concern
Old 05-24-2002, 05:44 PM

Re: Re: whining noise - PLEASE, PLEASE help

same exact symptoms? it's more annoying than it seems that it's causing a problem

Originally posted by ACMAX1995

I just noticed that today.. please some help us with this concern
Old 05-24-2002, 06:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: whining noise - PLEASE, PLEASE help

Originally posted by Young04
same exact symptoms? it's more annoying than it seems that it's causing a problem

Hey guyz , how's it going - i'm actually having this whirring problem as well, i believe it comes from every maxima, but then again, im just taking a wild guess..anywayz, i just wanted to let you know, this problem is also happening to me....if you guyz find anything out, pls. let me know ....

Thankz in advance...

later guyz....
Old 05-24-2002, 06:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: whining noise - PLEASE, PLEASE help

question for all : does anyone else's max not exhibit this noise?

Originally posted by 2k2maxima

Hey guyz , how's it going - i'm actually having this whirring problem as well, i believe it comes from every maxima, but then again, im just taking a wild guess..anywayz, i just wanted to let you know, this problem is also happening to me....if you guyz find anything out, pls. let me know ....

Thankz in advance...

later guyz....
Old 05-24-2002, 06:52 PM
Very sound, Mike

Can you describe it? Aside from the occassional transmission slip whirring noise my max is pretty silent for V6 standards.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:53 PM
Sly

Does the noise change or go away when you push on the throttle more and not there at wide open throttle? If so then it's the throttle body. That's a common problem on 5th gens.

When I took off the stock intake box and put on my popcharger the whistle was so bad I thought I installed it wrong. But then I put the stock airbox back in and although it quiets it down a lot it's still there. So my guess is you're probably hearing the same thing.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:06 PM

Get yourself a paper tube like one from Christmas wrapping. Stick the one end to your ear and place the other end at different points around the engine while a friend depresses the accelerator. By doing this you will be able to isolate the exact place the noise is coming from.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:06 PM

yes, any hard throttle, and the noise goes away (or is drowned out by the engine noise). thanx for the info. excuse my ignorance, but how do i fix a throttle body? or is something a dealer has to do?

Originally posted by Sly
Does the noise change or go away when you push on the throttle more and not there at wide open throttle? If so then it's the throttle body. That's a common problem on 5th gens.

When I took off the stock intake box and put on my popcharger the whistle was so bad I thought I installed it wrong. But then I put the stock airbox back in and although it quiets it down a lot it's still there. So my guess is you're probably hearing the same thing.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:08 PM

tried that...it seems to come from where all the belts are (to the left of the engine bay when looking at the engine from the front)...sorry, i have zero mechanical knowledge...what does this mean?

Originally posted by ohmitr
Get yourself a paper tube like one from Christmas wrapping. Stick the one end to your ear and place the other end at different points around the engine while a friend depresses the accelerator. By doing this you will be able to isolate the exact place the noise is coming from.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:15 PM

Possibly a belt slipping? Maybe a defective timing chain?