5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Big Weekend - Nitrous and Wedding

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 10:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Big Weekend - Nitrous and Wedding

Installed Zex kit Thursday, and started using it Friday (pouring rain on Thursday). Wasn't overly impressed with the 55HP shot, but did notice the difference. So I moved up to the 65HP shot (but went with the gas jet as if I was shooting the 75 shot-so I would run a little richer). This made a noticable improvement on the next few runs.

Friday afternoon went to get my plugs changed so I did a few hard 65HP runs on the NO2, right before my appt., and coasted into the dealership. The Nissan guy read my old plugs and said they looked fine.

I had new NGK (one step colder, decreased gap .004) plugs installed, and Max seemed to run better on and off the juice. I was getting more excited. I did a few runs and everything went great. (I will get dyno tuned this coming weekend with hopes of going to the 75 shot; and will install A/F and FP gauges in the next couple of weeks.)

And then I got married on Sunday. It was quite a cool weekend!
Old 05-28-2002, 10:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Big Weekend - Nitrous and Wedding

Originally posted by Stikya
Installed Zex kit Thursday... and then I got married on Sunday. It was quite a cool weekend!
Congrats on both.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:25 AM

Installed Zex kit Thursday, and started using it Friday (pouring rain on Thursday). Wasn't overly impressed with the 55HP shot, but did notice the difference. So I moved up to the 65HP shot (but went with the gas jet as if I was shooting the 75 shot-so I would run a little richer). This made a noticable improvement on the next few runs.

Friday afternoon went to get my plugs changed so I did a few hard 65HP runs on the NO2, right before my appt., and coasted into the dealership. The Nissan guy read my old plugs and said they looked fine.

I had new NGK (one step colder, decreased gap .004) plugs installed, and Max seemed to run better on and off the juice. I was getting more excited. I did a few runs and everything went great. (I will get dyno tuned this coming weekend with hopes of going to the 75 shot; and will install A/F and FP gauges in the next couple of weeks.)

And then I got married on Sunday. It was quite a cool weekend!
Congrats on your Zex kit, oh and your wedding! I currently run a 55 shot with a zex kit and just like you I didn't feel a kick. I'm thinking of running a 75 shot soon. I was wondering if you could tell me what parts I need to upgrade in order to be able to run a 75 shot safely (part numbers would be greatly appreciated as well as where to buy it from) and also the appoximate cost.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:35 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Congrats!
Old 05-28-2002, 10:46 AM
VQ Wizard

Yeah congrats on both

A 50 shot is a waste of time on a car this big. You probably should go to a 100 shot if you can. But you probably can't go past a 70 shot without adding a booster pump. The stock Nissan fuel pumps usually won't go higher than 65psi and probably can't even maintain that kind of pressure under WOT anyways.
Although I am assuming that the Zex is also EFI dry. If it isn't and you people are spraying a fogger (Fuel and Nitrous) nozzle into your throttle body you're asking for serious trouble.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:00 AM

Re: Re: Big Weekend - Nitrous and Wedding

[QUOTE]Originally posted by roastduck88
[B]

I was wondering if you could tell me what parts I need to upgrade

Defintely change your plugs to NGK BKR6E-11, re-gap to .036-.040.

The general concensus is that you also need to do a fuel upgrade and get gauges. That is my next step, as I move to 75HP shot.

The setup I've seen that I like is the same as "My 4DSC": the Paxton Universal Fuel pressure regulator and the Walbro 255lph fuel pump. You'll spend about $300 total in parts, and another $150 for install.

Then as far as gauges and pods/cups the debate is still out...

from what I've read no one yet makes a pillar pod or cups that work perfectly with our cars. Anything you do will be a custom install; but the preference seems to be Autometer pods/cups and gauges. Your best bets are 95-97 Maxima A-pill pod, 90-94 Eclipse A-pillar pod, or the new Autometer Carbon fiber cups w/ mouting brackets (which is what I am going to try and do as I don't want to have to mold or screw-in those A-pillar pods).

Get your pod or cups, first, then get gauges to match-it is very straight forward. I would call Summit Racing for your gauges and pods/cups, their prices seem to be about the best. And once you pick the pods/cups they will tell you what gauges will fit in them. Either way you can get Autometer gauges (on the low end) or there are many higher priced alternatives. Do and search and see what others have.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:07 AM

Thanks! That helps alot!
Old 05-28-2002, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by SR20DEN
Yeah congrats on both

... You probably should go to a 100 shot if you can...
Yea, it's EFI dry. And I'd love to move up to 100 shot, if it was simple, but there is a couple of reasons not to: 1) I don't think Zex sells nozzles past 75 shot for my kit and 2) I have an auto and havn't got my VB upgrade nor tranny cooler, yet.

So, I'll just get up to 75, tune it, and be content. I just want to be able to hold my own against the stangs and ricers.

UPDATE: I stand corrected! I just talked to Zex and they do make larger jets for the kit; but they don't make any smaller than 32 (to increase the fuel pressure). So, even if our fuel pumps could handle the output, you'd have to do a fuel pump and regulator upgrade-it's not just mix and match jets at 100 shot.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:30 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Yea, it's EFI dry. And I'd love to move up to 100 shot, if it was simple, but there is a couple of reasons not to: 1) I don't think Zex sells nozzles past 75 shot for my kit and 2) I have an auto and havn't got my VB upgrade nor tranny cooler, yet.

So, I'll just get up to 75, tune it, and be content. I just want to be able to hold my own against the stangs and ricers.
It would be nice to see what hp/tq you dyno with the 50-shot and then the 75-shot.

Did you install the ZEX kit yourself?
Old 05-28-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: ...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

It would be nice to see what hp/tq you dyno with the 50-shot and then the 75-shot.

Did you install the ZEX kit yourself?
I wish I could claim that kind of skill and time. But, I have 3 kids. So, in the interest of increased safety (and time) I let a pro do it.

It took them almost 5 hours (I paid $200)-to install the kit, remote bottle opener, mount the 2 switches, and fill my bottle.

The activation switch they replaced with a lighted-when active-red toggle. And the remote switch is a lights-on-glowing black toggle. Both switches they mounted in my 2 factory accessory holes. To the average onlooker it's unnoticable.

Yea, I can't wait to see a dyno. I'll do a flat run, a 65, and a 75 (if the 65 dyno shows rich). Otherwise, I'll wait and do fuel upgrades and go directly to 85 or 100 shot.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:11 PM

UPDATE: I stand corrected! I just talked to Zex and they do make larger jets for the kit; but they don't make any smaller than 32 (to increase the fuel pressure). So, even if our fuel pumps could handle the output, you'd have to do a fuel pump and regulator upgrade-it's not just mix and match jets at 100 shot.
I know how you feel. I just beat a pack of ricers this past weekend. It was a group of civics, and old integras, all using NOS.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:13 PM

The ZEX kit is fairly easy to install. If you have the time to run all the wires then it's good to do it yourself. It took us about 5 hours to install the ZEX kit and run all the wires. The longest part of the install was running all the wires and mounting the bottle in the trunk.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

And then I got married on Sunday. It was quite a cool weekend! [/B]
Congrats! and at least you had your priorities in order! The Max always comes first!

Just Kidding!
Old 05-28-2002, 03:02 PM

Congrats on both man......
Old 05-28-2002, 03:06 PM

Congratulations on getting married.