5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

gt-r spotting

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 11:25 PM

gt-r spotting

westbound 60 in puente hills area. i saw a very clean silver skyline gt-r cruising along at around 4 this afternoon. i thought they didn't have these in the states??

i pulled up and drove alongside it for about a mile. convinced it's the real thing. looks very nice up close.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:38 PM

Re: gt-r spotting

Originally posted by serin
westbound 60 in puente hills area. i saw a very clean silver skyline gt-r cruising along at around 4 this afternoon. i thought they didn't have these in the states??

i pulled up and drove alongside it for about a mile. convinced it's the real thing. looks very nice up close.
they dont sell them here but some people have them imported if they can afford it. ive never seen one in person though.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:52 PM

if it was right hand drive and silver, it's the same one i had the opportunity to "race" this morning on Valley and Fairway(Walnut)...
Old 06-01-2002, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by 2kseman
if it was right hand drive and silver, it's the same one i had the opportunity to "race" this morning on Valley and Fairway(Walnut)...

all skylines are right-hand-side drive.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Newman
all skylines are right-hand-side drive.
No, they are not.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:58 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Skyline

No, they are not.
they all come right-hand-drive. for the most part, all skylines are RHD unless they are converted.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how does it sound? sweet eh?
I saw two in my area already...R32 and R33...the R32 passed me with at least 90 mph on the carpool line when I was doing 60 - 65....the turbo sound with BOV....still cant forget and wanna to hear it again.

Old 06-04-2002, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by MaximaZero
they all come right-hand-drive. for the most part, all skylines are RHD unless they are converted.
They all come RHD, true. I remember seeing an old, mid 70's, non-GT-R that was LHD in Finland, don't know if it was converted or not. Also Henri's LHD R32 GT-R is in Finland, first Godzilla to be LHD.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i wish i could see a skyline in person
Old 06-04-2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by scmaxima2k
i wish i could see a skyline in person
Are you in Maryland? There is atleast one R32 in Baltimore.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mass...
Old 06-04-2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by scmaxima2k
Mass...
Duh, MA, not MD. Still close...
Old 06-04-2002, 02:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well you can buy one here...

GT-R V-Spec
Old 06-04-2002, 03:20 PM

RHD / LHD...

It depends where the car is intended on going. If its staying domestic in japan, its RHD. If they are being exported to say, the Aussie outback, they will be LHD. Nissan does the converting depending on the target country.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:24 PM
Maxima06071

or unless they're an Accord pretending to be a Skyline, in that case it would also be left hand drive.
Sweet spotting, I've only seen one in my life and it was a 1992 R32 GT-S; wasn't really that impressive performance wise but still cool.

Old 06-04-2002, 07:15 PM

Re: RHD / LHD...

Originally posted by JSpecMax
It depends where the car is intended on going. If its staying domestic in japan, its RHD. If they are being exported to say, the Aussie outback, they will be LHD. Nissan does the converting depending on the target country.
I don't believe that Nissan has ever made a LHD R32,33,34... something about the turbo.. I have seem the conversion done though.. but not by nissan..
Old 06-04-2002, 07:27 PM
2K1HoMax

there was also one in Phoenix, i saw id down at Mill Ave, its almost the same as Sunset in La, just a place every1 cruises it was a blue R34 GTR vspec, i was right behind it, but i think i was bone stock though, which is still pretty damn fast. and yes it was a RHD

Old 06-05-2002, 08:57 AM
Maxima06071

Re: Re: gt-r spotting

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

there was also one in Phoenix, i saw id down at Mill Ave, its almost the same as Sunset in La, just a place every1 cruises it was a blue R34 GTR vspec, i was right behind it, but i think i was bone stock though, which is still pretty damn fast. and yes it was a RHD
Man, if I had been driving behind that beast, I would have urinated all over myself.

Old 06-05-2002, 05:15 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: gt-r spotting

Originally posted by Maxima06071
Man, if I had been driving behind that beast, I would have urinated all over myself.
Oh i kept my distance, i didnt want to do anything to even provoke a race with that guy, it was nice though with i had one with a LHD, can u say 1600hp steet beast, with AWD. thats 60 ft times of about 1sec flat. ud just see s blue streak from the start that just seems to get longer.

Old 06-05-2002, 05:21 PM
I miss the .org!

Re: Re: RHD / LHD...

Originally posted by Max2000

I don't believe that Nissan has ever made a LHD R32,33,34... something about the turbo.. I have seem the conversion done though.. but not by nissan..
There's a Top Secret Supra (in Japan for those that don't know) with an RB26DETT (the Skyline engine). Now that is f*ckin crazy...
Old 06-05-2002, 06:21 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: RHD / LHD...

Originally posted by Triple8Sol

There's a Top Secret Supra (in Japan for those that don't know) with an RB26DETT (the Skyline engine). Now that is f*ckin crazy...
yeah thats what Top Secret is known for, they make Supra's with the skyline engines, aslo Sp engineering is also making a beast taht sould be completly done by now. its a RX7 with a Supra engine. the lighweight of the rx7 body with the boost hungry supra motor should really be something else.

Old 06-05-2002, 09:09 PM
Maxima06071

Top Fuel also makes nifty machines like, the Mid-engine rear wheel-drive CRX(del sol). It's hot; the nicest Honda I've ever seen.
Top Secret built a full out ***** to the wall to speed supra, but instead of a skyline engine or even leaving the Supra engine in, They put a MR2 engine. Sounds crazy, yes, but it helped the power to weight. Once the car was rolling all the needed was to constantly build momentium. because they couldn't care less about the bottom end performance. pretty cool in my opinion. I may have some of the facts a little distorted, so don't flame me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-05-2002, 09:20 PM
I miss the .org!

Re: Re: Re: Re: RHD / LHD...

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

yeah thats what Top Secret is known for, they make Supra's with the skyline engines, aslo Sp engineering is also making a beast taht sould be completly done by now. its a RX7 with a Supra engine. the lighweight of the rx7 body with the boost hungry supra motor should really be something else.
No sh*t? I haven't heard of that one...you have a link so I can check it out?
Old 06-05-2002, 09:26 PM
Maxima06071

Supra pics I believe the gold on on top is the High speed 4-banger. nifty ey?

Old 06-05-2002, 09:27 PM
2K1HoMax

dont know, cant comment on that becasue i dont know nothin about it, but yeah i have seen several supras with 4cyl engines with a crazy amount of boost in them to compensate for those two lost cylinders but yeah i doest help the Hp/weight ratio. but to be honest with u with all due respect to the mr2 motor,i think they can pump out twice the power from supra motor at its peak then u could ever from the Mr2 motor. so i think that would give it a better hp/weight ratio but bottom line all that power isnt always needed at the track, and yeah the smaller motor will allow for better handeling.

Old 06-05-2002, 09:37 PM
Maxima06071

King Supra
The JUN Akira Supra Is Here to Kick Bonneville’s ***
By Maurice Durand
Photography: Fly, Moe, and Jonny

Two hundred and forty-nine mph is fast enough to get you from Los Angeles to San Francisco in just under two hours (provided it’s 3 a.m. and the cops are on strike). It’s faster than most private planes and helicopters not named Airwolf can go. Two hundred and forty-nine mph is also far too fast for a street-going car, right? “Wrong!” say the speed merchants from JUN. In an exercise intended to showcase their design capabilities, JUN will try to push the envelope of what is considered obnoxiously fast for a street-driven car.
High-speed tests are nothing new for Japanese tuners, whose creations frequently battle for the title of Fastest Street Car on the Japanese highways. In the United States, high-speed contests, such as those held at Bonneville and Muroc Dry Lake, serve as the founding backbone of our hot rod culture. So it makes perfect sense that a Japanese tuner like JUN would want to further its reputation and showcase its tuning wiles on the Bonneville Salt Flats in pursuit of ultimate speed.

JUN’s chosen weapon for the assault on the E/BGCC land speed record is the outrageous Akira Supra you see before you; it’s certainly unlike any other Supra cruising the planet. Most land speed record–breaking machines are purpose-built, tube-framed missiles clothed in composite bodywork that vaguely resembles the silhouette of a street car. But the Akira Supra started life as a well-worn JZ80 Supra. Its transformation began when the unibody and floorpan were reinforced with a multipoint rollcage for safety and rigidity. The interior is stripped, with the gauges monitoring the engine’s vital functions clearly displayed in a carbon-fiber panel across from the driver. The design of the Akira Supra’s skin and its aerodynamics have been improved to reduce resistance and increase stability. A fabricated nosepiece helps reduce drag and leaves the Supra looking every bit like a road- going submarine. The hood is made from steel to add weight and efficiently duct air through the cooling system. The car’s rear hatch is heavily modified with a fabricated steel spoiler that adds the mass and stability necessary to plant this Supra’s *** on the salt at 250 mph. The car’s high-speed handling is further aided by a steel underbelly pan, which reduces undercar turbulence and provides a bit of downforce.

The heart of any JUN product, and the most vital component of any land speed effort, rests under the hood. This may just be the most potent Supra motor on the planet. All of the motor’s internals—such as forged JUN pistons attached to forged JUN connecting rods that swing on a billet steel crankshaft, raising engine displacement to 3.2 liters—are suitably beefed up to survive prolonged exposure to high-boost conditions. Meticulous block preparation and aggressive cylinder head porting also played a vital role. Air is pressurized into this O-ringed cylinder head assembly by a pair of Trust T78-29D-14cm turbochargers bolted onto a custom-fabricated, stainless steel exhaust manifold. The turbos pressurize a prototype JUN GT intake manifold with up to 50 psi of boost. A Trust four-row intercooler lowers the intake-charge temperature as the force-fed air is compressed atop the 8.45:1 pistons.

Meeting the fuel demands of such massive helpings of air are five Bosch fuel pumps, twelve JUN 890cc injectors, and an HKS V-Pro fuel computer. The word prototype appears all over component descriptions related to this motor, from the radiator back to the muffler. JUN’s unique blend of engineering, fabrication, and passion helped produce a motor capable of 1,300 hp. Pretty stout for hunks of tin and cast metal that started life on an assembly line.

Four digits’ worth of horsepower have a way of exposing the weaknesses in a stock drivetrain. To combat this, JUN uses a custom-built Holinger six-speed sequential transmission and an HKS triple-disc clutch to harness the power to the rearend, which houses a 2.238:1 ring-and-pinion set. The numerically low gearset probably makes this car accelerate with all the willingness of a school bus, but it’s just the ticket needed to stretch 1,300hp legs on the way to 260-plus-mph top speeds.

Maybe the nuttiest thing about this Supra is that the factory front fascia can be swapped back on and the car driven to the grocery store for some eggs and a copy of National Enquirer. Not that you’d want to disrespect a car like this with a task as mundane as a Taco Bell run, but the Akira Supra still shares some street Supra DNA. “Street-driveable car” is a loosely defined term in this case, as some of us prefer something in the way of amenities for street duty, like carpet or roll-up windows. For others, the fact that it can be driven off a race transporter and onto a driveway qualifies as streetable. But putting this car on the boulevard would be as great an injustice as forcing Anna Kournikova to play tennis wearing a muumuu. The JUN Akira Supra is a free spirit of a car, more in its element on long, open stretches of dry lake where it would be immune to the wrath of Smokey and his radar pistol.

Super Street Website has more information on the supras in their featured car section.

Old 06-05-2002, 09:47 PM

did u look at the guy inside? if the guy was white, it might have been paul walker, the cop from fast and furious.......he owns a silver r34 gtr....
Old 06-06-2002, 10:56 AM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by 2M0A0X2
did u look at the guy inside? if the guy was white, it might have been paul walker, the cop from fast and furious.......he owns a silver r34 gtr....
That lucky bastard, he makes a crappy movie and what punishment does he get, A R34 Nissan SkylineGT-R, oh life's not fair. I heard the Fast and The Furious II will feature a SkylineGT-R. So I'll probably end up going to see it, even though I was disappointed by the first offering.....

Old 06-06-2002, 04:10 PM

That lucky bastard, he makes a crappy movie and what punishment does he get, A R34 Nissan SkylineGT-R, oh life's not fair. I heard the Fast and The Furious II will feature a SkylineGT-R. So I'll probably end up going to see it, even though I was disappointed by the first offering.....
yeah...wtf? very true.....he doesn't deserve a gtr
Old 06-06-2002, 04:51 PM

Is that the big mouth

Stillen front piece you have?
Old 06-06-2002, 05:14 PM
I miss the .org!

Yeah Fast&Furious was disappointing...but at least they represented the Max!! and my beloved RX-7 too!
Old 06-06-2002, 05:54 PM

Re: Is that the big mouth

Originally posted by Chaser

Stillen front piece you have?
i think that pic is photochopped.....hey zero, how do u make all those cool images?